P500 SSS OFFROAD SKID PLATES PRICE MONOPOLY. BEWARE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I want everybody to know what SSS OFFROAD price policy business and how they treat customers.

I was looking for upgrading skid plate and arm guards and decided to invest into SSS OFFROAD combo.

After speaking with Rick the owner of the company I received email that with honda sxs discount I should look for 750$ with shipping for P500. But really if you look on Ebay or other vendors it still comes to 750$ if to buy separately. So I did not see the difference in price to buy from other vendors vs directly, and not sure what discount I've got , if there is any.

I found skid plate for 467.99 on overstock.com , was very excited and shared this price with Rick and asked him for discount and price match so I get all package in one peace. His reply was not something you would expect from customer oriented seller, but rather greedy seller : " They are not allowed to go below MAP. It will be taken down immediately". I was very unpleasantly surprised to hear that.
The company wants to jack up prices across all vendors and make $$$ and not think about prices flexibility.

I placed order on overstock.com for 467.99 , plus also found coupon for 40$ off 400$, it was a steal for 427.99.

I went ahead and ordered front/rear arm guards combo for 250$.

The bottom line , I received email from overstock.com this morning , that my order is cancelled. "Thank you SSS OFFroad for being customer oriented company and thinking about customer's pockets" !!!

Christian92

Christian92

Jun 2, 2015
Was about to buy some from them but I will not now thanks for the info

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
That's a shame they would do that. It was wrong to cancel the Overstock order. There products do look nice. A bit on the pricey side though!

Currently HondaSxS does not have a good relationship with SSS due to some of there methods we disagree with. Hopefully they will refocus once some of the other top UTV accessory companies add the P1k to there product line.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
That's a shame they would do that. It was wrong to cancel the Overstock order. There products do look nice. A bit on the pricey side though!

Currently HondaSxS does not have a good relationship with SSS due to some of there simular methods we disagree with. Hopefully they will refocus once some of the other top UTV accessory companies add the P1k to there product line.

I have reached out to Factory UTV they do UHMW right but offer none for Honda models, they said if they could get one of each in for fitment they would start offering them. I had their 1/2" full set on my last SXS and it was first rate quality, it was a little pricey but the main skid was all one piece and they shipped for free

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Currently HondaSxS does not have a good relationship with SSS due to some of there simular methods we disagree with. Hopefully they will refocus once some of the other top UTV accessory companies add the P1k to there product line.

I was just a naive fool to share overstock.com link trying to support their business and buy directly from them (via price match) and not a middle man company. In response to my good intentions he just shut off their sale.
SHAME AND GREEDINESS.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have reached out to Factory UTV they do UHMW right but offer none for Honda models, they said if they could get one of each in for fitment they would start offering them. I had their 1/2" full set on my last SXS and it was first rate quality, it was a little pricey but the main skid was all one piece and they shipped for free

I this point until there is not a good competitor, SSS off guys just manipulate the market and force prices for their profit.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I was just a naive fool to share overstock.com link trying to support their business and buy directly from them (via price match) and not a middle man company. In response to my good intentions he just shut off their sale.
SHAME AND GREEDINESS.

@solrus Here is one on eBay for a Pioneer 500 $342 with Shipping, different maker but looks good. Note this version DOES NOT cover the floorboards like the SSS brand, didn't notice that until I posted. FYI

2015 Honda Pioneer 500 3 8 UHMW 3 Piece Skid Plate Bash Guard Off Road | eBay

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I've noticed them doing the price game from the begaining. (Last year) There would be many times i would look at them on ebay and their prices was all over. A few of us was wondering what was going on with them guys. I'm guessing it's a managment issue. The 700 is going to be ignored but the 500 should be good and more companies should start making stuff for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: solrus
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've notived them doing the price game from the begaining. (Last year) There would be many times i would look at them on ebay and their prices was all over. A few of us was wondering what was going on with them guys. I'm guessing it's a managment issue. The 700 is going to be ignored but the 500 should be good and more companies should start making stuff for them.

Very true , and back home we have saying - fish starts to rotten from the head ( =managment issue)

SSSOFFROAD

SSSOFFROAD

Aug 1, 2014
UTAH/ARIZONA
I have tried numerous times to contact this buyer. I would really like the chance to communicate and ask questions from our email exchange.

Like most companies, we enforce a MAP (minimum advertised price) I sell to many dealerships and bigger online companies. If I do not enforce MAP, my dealerships and online sources would be very upset. If everyone sells at the same price, nobody can gets undercut and everybody is happy. It is nothing personal, it is just business, which again most companies who sell a product do this.

He did inform me that Overstock was selling low. I instantly contacted my contact to inform them they are below MAP. (if he didn't tell me, someone else would have quickly) (This has happened before and I had several of my customers contact me.)

They responded they would take care of this. Which means they will adjust back to MAP.

I told this customer this would be taken down, again I need to protect all my dealerships and online sources. He decided he was just going to buy the arm guards and would be interested in the skid at a later time.

I had no idea he had already purchased this from Overstock. He contacted me that Overstock had canceled the order, again OVERSTOCK had canceled the order. I did not personally cancel it. I do not work for Overstock.

I just want to state again, I did not cancel this order. I assume they canceled it because they were below MAP. I also want to state I had not idea he had purchased this from Overstock. Again he did buy the front and rear arm guards and said he was going to purchase the skid plate later.

I will find out more on Monday when I talk to my Overstock source.

Also the $750 he is referring to is for the FULL PACKAGE. Full 100% UHMW, 100% MADE IN THE USA skid plate and FRONT and REAR arm guards.

I would be happy to give more details and show the email exchange. I have asked many times for a contact phone # and it was not given.

[email protected]

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have tried numerous times to contact this buyer. I would really like the chance to communicate and ask questions from our email exchange.

Like most companies, we enforce a MAP (minimum advertised price) I sell to many dealerships and bigger online companies. If I do not enforce MAP, my dealerships and online sources would be very upset. If everyone sells at the same price, nobody can gets undercut and everybody is happy. It is nothing personal, it is just business, which again most companies who sell a product do this.

He did inform me that Overstock was selling low. I instantly contacted my contact to inform them they are below MAP. (if he didn't tell me, someone else would have quickly) (This has happened before and I had several of my customers contact me.)

They responded they would take care of this. Which means they will adjust back to MAP.

I told this customer this would be taken down, again I need to protect all my dealerships and online sources. He decided he was just going to buy the arm guards and would be interested in the skid at a later time.

I had no idea he had already purchased this from Overstock. He contacted me that Overstock had canceled the order, again OVERSTOCK had canceled the order. I did not personally cancel it. I do not work for Overstock.

I just want to state again, I did not cancel this order. I assume they canceled it because they were below MAP. I also want to state I had not idea he had purchased this from Overstock. Again he did buy the front and rear arm guards and said he was going to purchase the skid plate later.

I will find out more on Monday when I talk to my Overstock source.

Also the $750 he is referring to is for the FULL PACKAGE. Full 100% UHMW, 100% MADE IN THE USA skid plate and FRONT and REAR arm guards.

I would be happy to give more details and show the email exchange. I have asked many times for a contact phone # and it was not given.

[email protected]

If you would not contact overstock then they would not cancel it. The price on over stock was 467.99. I was thinking which way I should go when I asked if you sell me plate for 500$. But after googling online coupon taking off another 40$ brinning price to 427.99 , it was no brainer to go with lower offer.

I will reply as I did in our personal communication:

"what the point to talk, my skid plate was cancelled, I'm upset by you doing this. It could not be coincidence that next morning after the order placed, I saw cancellation email.
If other vendors could sell your skid plate for lower price and you actively blocking them from it. I have no respect for such price monopoly tactics.
Instead of cancelling my order with overstock.com , you should just reduce pricing and make them available to more customers and you will gain reputation and save money selling directly in larger volumes and not using reselling companies.

Because every happy customer will post your plate placed on their machine and it will speak for itself. You do good quality product but do wrong sale policy.

I've gathered all parts together , power steering, winch and last peace was skid plate, I ordered it last night and was excited that got even better price then you suggested and took everything apart since all wiring goes under plate, and this morning "hello" - your order is cancelled.

If you are not willing to help and your price for all combo is still 750$, but I've got it for 677$, but not anymore. I don't see point in the conversation if there is no resolution.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Attachments

• Sale.jpg
    Sale.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 457
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I here you @solrus, I know its frustrating.
But maintaining a minimum price is common practice. When mistakes are made it boils down to customer service.
If SSS didn't cancel the order then it reverts back to Overstocks responsibility for under listing.
Contact them and see what they say.

SSSOFFROAD

SSSOFFROAD

Aug 1, 2014
UTAH/ARIZONA
If you would not contact overstock then they would not cancel it. The price on over stock was 467.99. I was thinking which way I should go when I asked if you sell me plate for 500$. But after googling online coupon taking off another 40$ brinning price to 427.99 , it was no brainer to go with lower offer.

I will reply as I did in our personal communication:

"what the point to talk, my skid plate was cancelled, I'm upset by you doing this. It could not be coincidence that next morning after the order placed, I saw cancellation email.
If other vendors could sell your skid plate for lower price and you actively blocking them from it. I have no respect for such price monopoly tactics.
Instead of cancelling my order with overstock.com , you should just reduce pricing and make them available to more customers and you will gain reputation and save money selling directly in larger volumes and not using reselling companies.

Because every happy customer will post your plate placed on their machine and it will speak for itself. You do good quality product but do wrong sale policy.

I've gathered all parts together , power steering, winch and last peace was skid plate, I ordered it last night and was excited that got even better price then you suggested and took everything apart since all wiring goes under plate, and this morning "hello" - your order is cancelled.

If you are not willing to help and your price for all combo is still 750$, but I've got it for 677$, but not anymore. I don't see point in the conversation if there is no resolution.

As I have stated, I have Minimum Advertised Pricing (MAP) which is a very common business practice done by many businesses selling a product the way I do. I had to contact Overstock and tell them they were selling below MAP. I have dealerships, online vendors, customers all over the country that follow MAP. This is a very common practice.

I do not control Overstock, I do not have the power, authority to cancel or control orders from Overstock. I simply did what ANY business in my situation would have done. I contacted them and told them they need to follow MAP. I informed "SOLRUS" I was going to do this. At this point I had no idea he had bought from them. From his emails, he asked to buy skid plate at that price. I informed him of the forum discount and that Overstock was below MAP and that would be taken down. He then bought the arm guards and asked if he could buy the skid plate later.
I understand why he is upset, but I wish he would have informed me he had already purchased the skid plate from Overstock. I have no idea why asked to buy the skid plate later. I could have the helped with the situation if I was informed with ALL the information.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I here you @solrus, I know its frustrating.
But maintaining a minimum price is common practice. When mistakes are made it boils down to customer service.
If SSS didn't cancel the order then it reverts back to Overstocks responsibility for under listing.
Contact them and see what they say.

I understand he did not personally cancel my order, but personally (""instantly contacted my contact to inform them they are below MAP"") , so he pulled the trigger that forced overstock to cancel my order to avoid penalties , that two parties had in place.

Anyway , its just dirty game that was played against me , after I naively showed other price options.

I contacted overstock.com immediately only what the rep could say , that listing was cancelled, no explanation why.

The bottom line is that you can maintain MAP , business is business, nothing personal , blah blah, BUT, when customer calls you and trying to pay his hard earned several hundreds and in reply he turns his offer down and then contacts another vendor to enforce his MAP by any means that company can come up and obviously cancelling existing orders. Then I have no good words to describe this greedy behavior.

Last edited:
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I understand he did not personally cancel my order, but personally (""instantly contacted my contact to inform them they are below MAP"") , so he pulled the trigger that forced overstock to cancel my order to avoid penalties , that two parties had in place.
As I have stated, I have Minimum Advertised Pricing (MAP) which is a very common business practice done by many businesses selling a product the way I do. I had to contact Overstock and tell them they were selling below MAP. I have dealerships, online vendors, customers all over the country that follow MAP. This is a very common practice.

I do not control Overstock, I do not have the power, authority to cancel or control orders from Overstock. I simply did what ANY business in my situation would have done. I contacted them and told them they need to follow MAP. I informed "SOLRUS" I was going to do this. At this point I had no idea he had bought from them. From his emails, he asked to buy skid plate at that price. I informed him of the forum discount and that Overstock was below MAP and that would be taken down. He then bought the arm guards and asked if he could buy the skid plate later.
I understand why he is upset, but I wish he would have informed me he had already purchased the skid plate from Overstock. I have no idea why asked to buy the skid plate later. I could have the helped with the situation if I was informed with ALL the information.

Well, you could help by selling for the price I was quoting, you refused and turn the sale down. And continued to repeat about MAP is MAP, nothing we could do, sorry.

BEFORE POSTING TO THIS FORUM I did emailed you and notified how was not nice to turn the sale down and my order got cancelled. If you would just offered to fix this by selling for the price I've got. I would not started this thread and as we say wolfs would stay fed and sheep would stay alive.
But since you took " polite business excuse route" , I had low tolerance for this ...
Plus full garage of dissembled staff ready to be put together and sealed with your plate.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'll toss in my 2 cents. Regardless of how the transaction did or didn't pan out if you look at truly full UHMW 3/8" skid plate sets with all 4 A-Arm covers from other brands for similarly sized SXS (RZR570 / Wildcat Trail) they vary from $825 - $910 plus shipping. I bought my SSS Offroad full skids for very close to the $750 Rick @SSSOFFROAD stated he would honor when he had a sale. I am happy with the product and in my humble opinion that price is fair given that fact that other machine cost at least the same or up to $150 more for essentially the same product. I searched considerably before I made my purchase only to find SSS Offroad really was the only brand offering what I was looking for with the full width coverage. That being said any other maker is free to offer the same product at any price they deem profitable but they have not. That is not SSS Offroads' fault, nor does it appear to be that they are using the opportunity of being the only one offing a full set for the P500 to establish an unreasonable price over what the product would cost from another maker for a similar sized SXS. Having bought their product and having bought another makers brand for a similar sized SXS and paid $100 more than I paid for the P500 skid, I personally do not objectively see where SSSOFFROAD is at fault or is gouging due to a monopoly. I believe that allegation is unfounded.

Reactions: solrus
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll toss in my 2 cents. Regardless of how the transaction did or didn't pan out if you look at truly full UHMW 3/8" skid plate sets with all 4 A-Arm covers from other brands for similarly sized SXS (RZR570 / Wildcat Trail) they vary from $825 - $910 plus shipping. I bought my SSS Offroad full skids for very close to the $750 Rick @SSSOFFROAD stated he would honor when he had a sale. I am happy with the product and in my humble opinion that price is fair given that fact that other machine cost at least the same or up to $150 more for essentially the same product. I searched considerably before I made my purchase only to find SSS Offroad really was the only brand offering what I was looking for with the full width coverage. That being said any other maker is free to offer the same product at any price they deem profitable but they have not. That is not SSS Offroads' fault, nor does it appear to be that they are using the opportunity of being the only one offing a full set for the P500 to establish an unreasonable price over what the product would cost from another maker for a similar sized SXS. Having bought their product and having bought another makers brand for a similar sized SXS and paid $100 more than I paid for the P500 skid, I personally do not objectively see where SSSOFFROAD is at fault or is gouging due to a monopoly. I believe that allegation is unfounded.

Bravo! I think I'm turning into forum troll and but instead should go and put together machine. Good night gentlemen. Viva MAP and great customer oriented business! Well done SSS OFFROAD!

Should read up more on capitalism and basics of business economics, so in the future no feelings hurt. :)

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I wouldn't care about any of the BS about MAP and overstock;; SSS is saying,, just like solrus is inplying. Forget all the excuses and give him a skid for the price he bought it for!!! Plan and simple.. Any good business with great customer service WOULD DO SO!!! I got lucky and a friend that made the 700 skid helped me out. No BS just someone that made a product helped out a customer//friend. Business owners should consider their customers as freinds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!