Starting x4 build

G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Purchased it wensday, bought a new Polaris General in December and it had a glitch in it they could not get straightened out, so Polaris had to buy it back, it was a nightmare.
Bought a 01 x-4, thought I did my home work but now I'm hearing the dust and heat issues, so any advise on that is welcome.
Ordered a sxs glass windshield with fold up vents, rear superatv tinted window, rear hitch, and bought me a raised hitch hauler where I can hunt out of it too, 42in roof light bar, stereo sound bar, I put the audiovox switch panel in this machine, really liking that

IMG 20220811 204948697 IMG 20220811 204843177 IMG 20220811 204603683 IMG 20220811 124119985 IMG 20220810 123525445 HDR

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The heat on the X4 may not be as bad as the 2 seaters because you aren't sitting directly in front of the engine. The radiator is still up front though and that heat, traveling rearward, will turn the passenger 'bucket' into an oven as the day goes on. Because of this, door lowers are a bad idea IMO but I only ride down into the 30's, below that and I'm watchin' TV. There are brackets available that hold the doors open 3" to help vent in cooler air, I like them (also linked in my sig).

The link in my sig will take you to some basic Talon information if you haven't seen it. It's also a sticky in the General Talon 1000 Discussion forum - New Talon Owners - Frist Things to Know and Check.

No one tole me there'd be dust - :oops:

I qfKT28c XL

Last edited:
scottkooch

scottkooch

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 26, 2021
SO MN
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Purchased it wensday, bought a new Polaris General in December and it had a glitch in it they could not get straightened out, so Polaris had to buy it back, it was a nightmare.
Bought a 01 x-4, thought I did my home work but now I'm hearing the dust and heat issues, so any advise on that is welcome.
Ordered a sxs glass windshield with fold up vents, rear superatv tinted window, rear hitch, and bought me a raised hitch hauler where I can hunt out of it too, 42in roof light bar, stereo sound bar, I put the audiovox switch panel in this machine, really liking that

View attachment 348658 As CID replied, the heat on my 4 door is not that bad. I did install the Jeep transfer case boot and insulated the underside of my center console and front cowl. I have a Super ATV front glass windshield with vents and a poly rear window, but no lower door inserts. Dust is no more a problem in my Talon then in the Generals and Rangers I ride with. If you're the leader your fine, if your anywhere behind the leader you're needing a shower after the ride. Riding alone is also not that bad with the dust. TerryH has some great videos on YouTube explaining these installs.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
bought a new Polaris General in December and it had a glitch in it they could not get straightened out, so Polaris had to buy it back
Thats ok, it was a blessing! U might have got cought in that fire trap.

Anywho…
Nice rig! Lots of pics thats fantastic! 🥳
looks like @Plumber32 Talon before all the mods.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Over 1000 miles now and I gotta say Mines been awsome. Do the hess shift gate asap. Do not grind low gear. Only issue I had was the caps on the u joint under shifter fell out was covered under warranty then I tack welded them @Remington probably has a picture seems like 70% have this issue. Easy fix. Other than that ive given it hell and absolutely love it. We rode in the 90s with the glass on it was tolerable but a couple 12v fans from a truck stop or Amazon made it nice. Probably the coolest sxs heat wise I've been in.

G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Maiden ride today did not go to good, took it to deer camp today put out cameras, my son and I and 2 grand boys, well the little one jumped out his daddy's arms walked over there smacking on the tire, he was proud of it till he seen that pretty shinny tail pipe Honda got stuck out there in the wide open, yes he grabbed it before we could get to him, burnt his thumb and index finger, it's not terrible, didn't break skin or nothing but hurt papas feelings bad, hate to see my grandchild hurting, so we had to cut short and tend to him. There needs to be some kind cover for that pipe

IMG 20220821 100030355

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Maiden ride today did not go to good, took it to deer camp today put out cameras, my son and I and 2 grand boys, well the little one jumped out his daddy's arms walked over there smacking on the tire, he was proud of it till he seen that pretty shinny tail pipe Honda got stuck out there in the wide open, yes he grabbed it before we could get to him, burnt his thumb and index finger, it's not terrible, didn't break skin or nothing but hurt papas feelings bad, hate to see my grandchild hurting, so we had to cut short and tend to him. There needs to be some kind cover for that pipe

View attachment 349860
When I was about 6, my Dad was warming up a soldering iron and wrapped his hand around it to feel for warmth, NOT touching it. I followed his lead and grabbed that almost hot MFer and got burnt pretty good; big ole blisters within a day or two. I learned later that he got a lot of s*** for it 'after the fact' - 'you should have been more careful' kinda crap from everyone. You can't stop kids from getting hurt, it's how we learn. Still burn myself when welding tho. 😊

Exhausts are hot on everything and now he knows that.

Most important thing about burns - you have to get the heat out of the tissue asap. Cold, running water, repeated until the pain is livable. It may take a dozen or more sessions to get the heat out, pain will let you know when it's time for another dunking. When the pain is gone, so is the heat.

G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4
My son done the same on a dune buggy stinger pipe, it was chrome and pretty, youngins will be youngins like you said, but it still hurt my fellings bad, he's my grandbaby and means the world to me, might have hurt me more than him.. I've been watching him close, I already knowed he had noticed it being shinny,.

• Love
Reactions: JenElio and CID
G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Winch should be here tomorrow, I didn't go to expensive this time,my last few machines had axions and black ops, might spool them out once a year, the one I got does have 4.5 star rating and 5500lb rating, wide spool, will post pictures when mounted

G

Georgiaboy

Aug 11, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Few more small things today, got my manual wiper installed, had to do some modifications on it😬, tablet mount installed, I know my tablet case is orange🤣I got a black one coming, and fuel cell installed

IMG 20220831 195325737 IMG 20220831 195336802 IMG 20220830 081537430

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!