BRed Starts-runs-won’t move

1idejim

Jun 15, 2018
State of Jefferson
Ownership

1. Big Red
Hey there, new to forum :)

Here’s a bit of information.

The SXS was purchased second hand to be used (or should I say abused) on a 50 square mile ranch.

The manager and his sidekick drove this poor thing like they stole it and it only saw a service when it was non-operatible, possibly one time if I remember correctly.

Last it ran it was shifted into neutral and the brake set to open a gate, it wouldn’t move regardless of being shifted into different range or direction afterwards.

The SXS has been sitting for 3 years and was given to me to haul away. In spite of the abuse it’s seen, it’s not in bad shape so I can afford to bring it around.

It appears any type oil and possibly even additives such as power punch may have been used.

I’m buying a Honda/ Clymer repair manual before going too far but I’d like to gather as much feedback as possible from other owner/mechanics as possible.

Thanks for any input and advice.

2009 with 7236 miles, 934.6 hrs on it.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am not 100% familiar with the Big Red, But climb under it and check the operation of the shift cable. It could be loose, broken, mis-adjusted etc.

Get the OEM service manual from helminc.com

1idejim

Jun 15, 2018
State of Jefferson
Ownership

1. Big Red
I am not 100% familiar with the Big Red, But climb under it and check the operation of the shift cable. It could be loose, broken, mis-adjusted etc.

Get the OEM service manual from helminc.com

I have checked the linkage and the emergency valve bypass with no joy.

I have it off the trailer now though so it’s easier to get around it. I’ve been cleaning the machine and trying to tally up the missing bolts.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Reactions: Mudwing
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have checked the linkage and the emergency valve bypass with no joy.

I have it off the trailer now though so it’s easier to get around it. I’ve been cleaning the machine and trying to tally up the missing bolts.

Thanks for the reply. :)
If the bypass doesn't work, then something is broken or there is low/no oil pressure. I wouldn't run it again until the pressure is checked.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
What exactly does it do?
Will it shift? or is the shifter stuck?
Does it sound like it is trying to shift?
Do you feel anything? or hear anything when you shift it?

You said the last time it was used the brake was locked. Could the brake be stuck?

EDIT: Welcome to the forum.

1idejim

Jun 15, 2018
State of Jefferson
Ownership

1. Big Red
If the bypass doesn't work, then something is broken or there is low/no oil pressure. I wouldn't run it again until the pressure is checked.

I have a manual on the way and won’t do much except research until it arrives. Thanks.

1idejim

Jun 15, 2018
State of Jefferson
Ownership

1. Big Red
What exactly does it do?
Will it shift? or is the shifter stuck?
Does it sound like it is trying to shift?
Do you feel anything? or hear anything when you shift it?

You said the last time it was used the brake was locked. Could the brake be stuck?

EDIT: Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome :)

The brakes were never locked up, rather the parking brake was applied while the gate was open and the machine left idling. I wasn’t there but it quit on my dad who was driving the machine. It was towed to the barn by others.

Here’s a run down on what’s happening or not.

1) Oil and filter has been changed by me personally.
2) Brand new battery has been installed by me personally.
3) The machine starts and runs with rough idle.
4) Linkage has been traced and seems to be in good working order.
5) Shift in neutral “N” light works
6) Shift to drive “D” indicator works.
7) Shift to reverse “R” indicator works.
8) When shifting there’s nothing happening except the electrical indicators changing. No bumps, no clunks, no slipping or indication of power or direction change.
9) If I Shift to “D” or “R” and push the machine a little bit the input shaft/driveshaft turns in the appropriate direction but doesn’t turn when the engine is running. The shaft does turn when shifted to “N” when rocked back and forth however.

I’m pretty new to working on these machines but I’m not new to troubleshooting. At this point I’m trying to gather as much information as possible to eliminate what’s normal and not to determine what’s working or not.

Thanks for the replies everyone:)

1idejim

Jun 15, 2018
State of Jefferson
Ownership

1. Big Red
Got my manual in the mail recently, I’m impressed with the attention to detail many other manuals I have lack, including (OEM) from other companies.

I can eliminate any sensors through electrical tests but It appears I’ll need to build a single test and three gauge test manifold for oil pressures to gather information for my initial troubleshooting of the drive train.

I’ll be back to pick your brains, that’s for sure :)

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Got my manual in the mail recently, I’m impressed with the attention to detail many other manuals I have lack, including (OEM) from other companies.

I can eliminate any sensors through electrical tests but It appears I’ll need to build a single test and three gauge test manifold for oil pressures to gather information for my initial troubleshooting of the drive train.

I’ll be back to pick your brains, that’s for sure :)
Yes...I'm sorry, but I should have been clear about the bypass: it "bypasses" any electrical/electronic controls with a straight connection from oil supply to the 2nd gear clutch. Could have saved you some trouble shooting there...

Reactions: 1idejim and Mudwing

1idejim

Jun 15, 2018
State of Jefferson
Ownership

1. Big Red
Yes...I'm sorry, but I should have been clear about the bypass: it "bypasses" any electrical/electronic controls with a straight connection from oil supply to the 2nd gear clutch. Could have saved you some trouble shooting there...

No worries, I understood the emergency bypass definition but these issues are either mechanical, electrical or both. I like to gather as much information as possible, in the least invasive manner which is usually cheaper.

There’s an easy $100 bill investment in building the oil pressure and valve pressure testing manifold. Which is my next set of tests btw.

Reactions: DG Rider

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!