BOX1

P500 Stony Pass

Durangotang

Durangotang

Feb 24, 2018
Just outside Durango, CO
Went over Stony Pass last Sunday between Silverton and Creede, CO. Stony Pass served as the first route into the Silverton area back in the mid 1800's. I believe it get's it's name from the primary road bed material. Don't bring a cooler full of carbonated drinks over this route.

Cable tram tower from an old mining operation.
DSC 0101

Looking back down the road toward Cunningham Gulch and Silverton.
DSC 0103

Getting close to the summit - above the tree line.
DSC 0110

At the summit - the Continental Divide.
DSC 0114

The view to the Northwest from the summit. Any water from this point flows to the Pacific.
DSC 0120

View to the Southeast from the summit. On this side is the head waters of the Rio Grande flowing to the Gulf of Mexico.
DSC 0131

An old mine entrance just south of the summit marker. Imagine moving tons of rock and dirt while working at 12,650'.
DSC 0135

The ore car tracks leading away from the mouth of the mine are still there.
DSC 0136

Dropping in elevation and back into the trees. And a beaver pond.
DSC 0140

Beautiful exposed rock formations are all through this area.
DSC 0144

The mighty Rio Grande. Well, not so mighty at this point.
DSC 0147

On side road out to Kite Lake.
DSC 0164

The little Honda that could... get us to Kite Lake. That's a tailing pile at the end of the lake.
DSC 0168

Had the place all to ourselves.
DSC 0175

Back over the pass and heading towards Silverton.
DSC 0179

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!