RECALL - Power Steering Joint, 2017-2020 P700, 2016-2020 P1000 EPS Models Only

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just checked mine! All hardware is tight, no slack or any movement that I can find. I'm not really sure what to look for either?

Reactions: Isaiah and Mudwing
AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Recall for a damaged (improperly installed) bolt. Not enough info here to really know what's going on. The shafts are splined, the B joints aren't--they compress onto the splines. It seems the issue is a stripped bolt, resulting in a loose B joint connection, that can result in loss of steering control. Lowest B-joint only. Something is not conveying......

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Recall for a damaged (improperly installed) bolt. Not enough info here to really know what's going on. The shafts are splined, the B joints aren't--they compress onto the splines. It seems the issue is a stripped bolt, resulting in a loose B joint connection, that can result in loss of steering control. Lowest B-joint only. Something is not conveying......
It does when you consider the assembly line.
The steering shaft with the whole dash assembly is most likely set onto the frame.
The rack would already be installed and that connection point would of been someone's job.

Could of been wrong bolts, wrong toqure, or just a bad employee.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So went and checked mine, and yes...there is some tiny damage to the bolt.

20200906 200114

It's hard to tell from the pic, but it's there...trust me.

It looks like what happened is that the groove in the splined shaft didn't get aligned with the bolt hole properly. Bolt 1 and 2 have a "fixed" hole, while 3 has basically a flat side for some length of the shaft, with the ends returning to normal shaft shape. The ideal is to let 1 and 2 be tightened, while 3 can float and let the other 2 settle where they may. That's why it gets tightened last. Perhaps #3 was tightened 1st or some other out-of-order sequence, which ultimately forced #1 out of position a bit, and the impact tool forced it in. This damaged the bolt a bit.

Thing is, even after i aligned them, the #1 bolt will not tighten by hand as instructed in the video. My guess is that the pinch clamp gets distorted a bit when this misalignment happens, which may be hondas real concern. Mine appears fine, but steering stuff isn't anything to jack around with when you drive along shelf roads next to deep canyons. So i'm going to replace it. Yes...me!

The joint is about $100, with the bolts and washers being a buck or 2 each. It'd honestly cost me $40 in gas easily to get it to my nearest dealer, and I'd GLADLY pay the $60 extra to NOT have the guys at the dealer work on it.

If you're thinking the same, better get on it, as the parts might get thin. Strangely, while RMATV does have the joint for $112, the bolts are apparently on back order. Good news is, these parts are also used on autos, so i ordered them from a car parts place. I'll let you know if they are on back order.

Parts:
53323-SW5-003 Joint B (1)

90135-SB0-003 Bolt, steering yoke (3)

90511-671-003 Lock washer (3)

Last edited:
Chevy_cowboy

Chevy_cowboy

Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2020
Southern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 222976

It looks like what happened is that the groove in the splined shaft didn't get aligned with the bolt hole properly. Bolt 1 and 2 have a "fixed" hole, while 3 has basically a flat side for some length of the shaft, with the ends returning to normal shaft shape. The ideal is to let 1 and 2 be tightened, while 3 can float and let the other 2 settle where they may. That's why it gets tightened last. Perhaps #3 was tightened 1st or some other out-of-order sequence, which ultimately forced #1 out of position a bit, and the air tool forced it in. This damaged the bolt a bit.

Thing is, even after i aligned them, the #1 bolt will not tighten by hand as instructed in the video. My guess is that the pinch clamp gets distorted a bit when this misalignment happens, which may be hondas real concern. Mine appears fine, but steering stuff isn't anything to jack around with when you drive along shelf roads next to deep canyons. So i'm going to replace it. Yes...me!

The joint is about $100, with the bolts and washers being a buck or 2 each. It'd honestly cost me $40 in gas easily to get it to my nearest dealer, and I'd GLADLY pay the $60 extra to NOT have the guys at the dealer work on it.

If you're thinking the same, better get on it, as the parts might get thin. Strangely, while RMATV does have the joint for $112, the bolts are apparently on back order. Good news is, these parts are also used on autos, so i ordered them from a car parts place. I'll let you know if they are on back order.

Parts:

I had the same thought about fixing it myself rather than taking it to a dealer. I haven't taken mine apart to inspect yet but I did order the bolt and washer just incase. With only 103 miles on it, I hope there's no damage yet.

How many miles are on yours to cause the pictured damage?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I had the same thought about fixing it myself rather than taking it to a dealer. I haven't taken mine apart to inspect yet but I did order the bolt and washer just incase. With only 103 miles on it, I hope there's no damage yet.

How many miles are on yours to cause the pictured damage?
I think the damage was done at assembly at the factory. Nothing was loose. Mine has 89 miles.

Reactions: Biteme
Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Got a call from the dealership last week.
They want to do the recall. They offered free pickup if I pay them for the first service.
I couldn't help but wonder if they are reimbursed by Honda for pickup costs.

Reactions: 100Acre and Biteme
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Got a call from the dealership last week.
They want to do the recall. They offered free pickup if I pay them for the first service.
I couldn't help but wonder if they are reimbursed by Honda for pickup costs.
I really doubt Honda pays the dealer for pick up and delivery, think your dealer is trying to take care of you.

B

bluedog69

Sep 18, 2019
NW Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 222976

It looks like what happened is that the groove in the splined shaft didn't get aligned with the bolt hole properly. Bolt 1 and 2 have a "fixed" hole, while 3 has basically a flat side for some length of the shaft, with the ends returning to normal shaft shape. The ideal is to let 1 and 2 be tightened, while 3 can float and let the other 2 settle where they may. That's why it gets tightened last. Perhaps #3 was tightened 1st or some other out-of-order sequence, which ultimately forced #1 out of position a bit, and the impact tool forced it in. This damaged the bolt a bit.

Parts:

Yep it is there. The first bolt in the video above barely even has a spot on it and they say it is damaged.
The they show 3 more with more damage. I wonder if the bolts were manufactured out of tolerence? If they were a few thousandths to small they might let movement happen which starts wear.

B

bluedog69

Sep 18, 2019
NW Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yep it is there. The first bolt in the video above barely even has a spot on it and they say it is damaged.
The they show 3 more with more damage. I wonder if the bolts were manufactured out of tolerence? If they were a few thousandths to small they might let movement happen which starts wear.
I don't think it has anything to do with the bolts themselves being manufactured wrong. I think the damaged bolt is an indicator of improper assembly. On mine, the small groove in the steering shaft was misaligned with the hole. Not radically...but enough that the splines got boogered a touch and let the bolt get damaged.

It seems like maybe #3 in the video got tightened 1st, which forced #1 slightly out of position, but still had enough to let whatever impact tool get it started and run it home, which marred the bolt and deformed the clamp a bit. I'm sure @HondaTech will have more on this...

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!