P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't think it has anything to do with the bolts themselves being manufactured wrong. I think the damaged bolt is an indicator of improper assembly...

That's what it looks like to me. Something loose and rubbing on the bolt, and the bolt markings are the indicator.

I'm getting ready to go into my steering to tighten it up in the next few weeks. I'll check this while I'm in there...

Reactions: Biteme and Isaiah
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's what it looks like to me. Something loose and rubbing on the bolt, and the bolt markings are the indicator.

I'm getting ready to go into my steering to tighten it up in the next few weeks. I'll check this while I'm in there...
Called my dealer and asked for vin#'s affected, all 16, 17, 18, 19 and some 20's, that's a bunch of units on this recall

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
For those thinking of doing this: I said I would update about parts availability. They shipped, and got them Friday from an AUTOMOTIVE Honda parts house.

20200918 210112

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly I’m still having a hard time following the “why” of the recall.

I have an 18 eps base, and have yet to see any recall information. Not one issue with my rig steering wise either after 1500 mi.

maybe it’s that the nicked bolt is failing?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Honestly I’m still having a hard time following the “why” of the recall.

I have an 18 eps base, and have yet to see any recall information. Not one issue with my rig steering wise either after 1500 mi.

maybe it’s that the nicked bolt is failing?
Could be. Damage could lead to cracks and failure, and like I said earlier, steering stuff is always a big deal.

hurld

hurld

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2014
I can't wrap my head around how the small burrs or scrapes on the bolt can weaken it enough to cause it to break...... I'm leaning more to a bolt misalignment which could cause the bolt to not be torqued properly, causing it to eventually come loose.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can't wrap my head around how the small burrs or scrapes on the bolt can weaken it enough to cause it to break...... I'm leaning more to a bolt misalignment which could cause the bolt to not be torqued properly, causing it to eventually come loose.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I agree. The setup is made to deform and squeeze the shaft as the bolt fits in the slot. I haven't taken my 19 apart to see what part of the assembly is damaging the bolt at the top of the threads. From the pics it appears the non-threaded side of the joint ear is causing the mark. Have a 700 mixed up in this thing since the order came out and just can't see the seriousness of the problem. Ours was next in line for inspection 8 days ago. :mad: I have taken one of the 16s apart and the mark was there, 4 years old. So🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am too close to deer season to be able to mess with this. Leaving soon and will be gone for 8 weeks with it in tow. Hope it doesnt leave me sitting
I can't see it causing a problem. Just check it for now and make sure its tight and you're safe. Most hunting is slow speed anyway. Make an inspection appointment when ya can. Like I said, the ranch has a 16 1k5 that has had the dawg run out of it, I pulled the bolt last week and it has "the burr" 🤷‍♂️ 🙃

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So the parts number for the Steering Joint B on the Honda recall doesn't come up. what is the correct number? I plan on just doing this myself.
Thanks
Interesting. Wonder why they have a different part number? Maybe to keep track of the work?

Anyway...use the numbers I posted earlier. Says on my 700 that all the joints are the same number.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Here's what I heard about the part numbers and it makes sense to me.

My roof had a different part number than I ordered. The dealer told me Honda does that so they know who supplied that part for future warranty/recall work. I doubt Honda is making these joints/bolts themselves.

They have at least 4 part numbers for factory Honda hard roofs.

Cattrell

Cattrell

Nov 26, 2018
Church Hill TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I had one of my riding buddies call me yesterday and ask if I had heard of the recall. His failed last week while riding. Said it started as a popping noise when he turned and got a little worse as he went. Decided to head back to the truck and the steering let go completely on the road back. Turned him straight into a bank (luckily not off the edge of a drop) he was able to crank down the bolt and get back to the truck ok.
Took it to the dealer for a service and they told him about the recall, seems the issue is if the alignment was off the joint wont seat completely on the shaft and can slip. His is a '16 model and made it this far.
Checked mine and my bolt looks good and treaded back in by hand but I ordered the parts anyway. I think the key id having the Honda alignment jig they sent to the dealers so I will probably let them change it.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I should have updated this a few days ago, but I installed my parts. I was in a bit of a hurry, so I didn't get pics of the whole thing.

Even after removing the joint, a new bolt was tough to get started and tighten in the old joint, even though the threads look perfect, so I'm going to guess the joint gets deformed as well as damaging the bolt.

I'm thinking the alignment jig is simply to provide Honda with visual evidence this repair has been done properly. It's pretty easy to hold the bolt on the center of the groove while snugging it down.

Last edited:
Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have a 19 P700 Deluxe and the dealership contacted me for the recall.
However, when I input the VIN on the Honda website it shows zero recalls.
Weird.

Reactions: Isaiah

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!