BOX1

P1000m3 Stop Sale - Why Buy P1000?

M

Mpasa

Mar 19, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So here's my dilemma... I have been doing some research and found a good deal on a new 2018 P1000-3. I put down a $200 deposit on Saturday 3/16. The dealer did not disclose this new recall about the accelerator pedal. I was planning to pick up the machine (2 hrs away - out of state) Friday 3/21. So after putting deposit down last Saturday, dealer says, "no need to rush to pick up machine" there is a part update that needs done, part should be in by end of week. Well, we all know that's not likely going to happen... So, I start to do more research and find out about the STOP SALE and coming recall/service bulletin for the accelerator pedal.

So couple questions.... Sure seems to be a lot of recalls on the P1000's.

If I buy from someone other than my local dealer, should I expect to have concerns with getting future recalls done?

How is HONDA about timing of getting parts out for recall. I have seen some reviews that are saying MID APRIL?? Dealer is saying latest from HONDA is parts by 1st week in April, but no guarantee. Is it likely I will be waiting until MID/END of April based upon others previous recall experiences?

Anyone have experience with service from their local dealer after buying from somewhere else, particularly related to recalls and warranty work?

If I should decide to cancel the order, should I expect my $200 deposit back from the dealer given the conditions of the STOP SALE and the fact it wasn't disclosed to me when I gave deposit on Saturday 3/16? Seems like others on this forum and others knew about this issue/recall around 3/12?

If I decide to move forward with purchase, I don't want to FUND/PAY IN FULL for the transaction until recall and unit is complete. Is this reasonable?

As much as I like HONDA and the P1000-3, I'm considering a new 2018 Ranger 1000xp. Why should I not go buy this unit? Do they have as many recalls? I see a lot of online hating, but honestly, the HONDA issues and recalls aren't giving me the warm and fuzzies..

If HONDA P1000-3 wasn't an available option at all, what manufacture and unit would be your next best selection?

Reactions: sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Which dealer has your deposit? Which is closer to you?
All the major players have some recalls. None are anywhere near the amount that Polaris has.
I believe a member @JSPEED recently test drove a Ranger 1000. He left the lot for the test drive and was towed back.

You should have no issue getting your deposit returned to you. If salesman won't, escalate it higher up with the dealer.
It is hard to believe, but you machine will be one of the first fixed. There is a sale pending on it. It will be fixed before any off the street or other inventory.

There is always Facebook Marketplace for used 3 seaters in your area. Unless it is something special about the one at that specific dealer.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
Polaris have three times the "serious" issues, bikes on fire and crap like that. this seems like probably just bikes that see a lot of deep water, wouldn't let it make my decision or not. only other bike id consider ids the wolverine, they are just as durable and the x2-4 has the same power as the 1000 pioneer. really depends x2 is bit better on trails ride and center console and that, pioneer is a little better on the work stuff

Buckwheat

Buckwheat

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2015
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have owned four SXS's a Yamaha Rhino, Pioneer 700-4, Pioneer 1000 and soon a Talon 1000R. After I sold my Rhino I didn't buy another SXS until the Pioneer 700 came out because I like the reliability of the Honda's. If you want something that is going to last as long as you take care of it go with a Honda. Don't waste your Monday on a Polaris product because you will be working on them more than riding them. I am not saying that Honda does have some bad eggs but there are far less than others.

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
So here's my dilemma... I have been doing some research and found a good deal on a new 2018 P1000-3. I put down a $200 deposit on Saturday 3/16. The dealer did not disclose this new recall about the accelerator pedal. I was planning to pick up the machine (2 hrs away - out of state) Friday 3/21. So after putting deposit down last Saturday, dealer says, "no need to rush to pick up machine" there is a part update that needs done, part should be in by end of week. Well, we all know that's not likely going to happen... So, I start to do more research and find out about the STOP SALE and coming recall/service bulletin for the accelerator pedal.

If I buy from someone other than my local dealer, should I expect to have concerns with getting future recalls done?

How is HONDA about timing of getting parts out for recall. I have seen some reviews that are saying MID APRIL?? Dealer is saying latest from HONDA is parts by 1st week in April, but no guarantee. Is it likely I will be waiting until MID/END of April based upon others previous recall experiences?

Anyone have experience with service from their local dealer after buying from somewhere else, particularly related to recalls and warranty work?

If I should decide to cancel the order, should I expect my $200 deposit back from the dealer given the conditions of the STOP SALE and the fact it wasn't disclosed to me when I gave deposit on Saturday 3/16? Seems like others on this forum and others knew about this issue/recall around 3/12?

If I decide to move forward with purchase, I don't want to FUND/PAY IN FULL for the transaction until recall and unit is complete. Is this reasonable?

As much as I like HONDA and the P1000-3, I'm considering a new 2018 Ranger 1000xp. Why should I not go buy this unit? Do they have as many recalls? I see a lot of online hating, but honestly, the HONDA issues and recalls aren't giving me the warm and fuzzies..

If HONDA P1000-3 wasn't an available option at all, what manufacture and unit would be your next best selection?

Welcome to the forum! I think your gonna get many other responses about the POSITIVE experiences with the 1000. I can think of 4-5 recalls that have been made on the 1000. If you wanna compare that to Polaris I promise you that it will be double digit recalls on the Polaris Ranger compared to the Honda. Some of us have looked into other models, including me! Last Saturday, I demo'ed a Polaris General. I made it .3 miles when it started acting weird and shut off. I had to call dealer to come get me on the DEMO RIDE! They had to tow me back to the dealership! I have NEVER HAD a new unit break down on a demo ride before but the mightly ole Polaris and their tried and trued reputation of their CVT locked up on me!!! That REALLY left a BAD Taste in my mouth on a $16,000 base model General. I think you'd be foolish to even consider anything from Polaris but that's ultimately your decision! Your paying for those 5 special letters H-O-N-D-A for their reliability, their durability and their reputation! You take anything made by Honda, cars, atv's, utv's, generators, motors! People buy them over and over for a reason! Goodluck with your choosing!!!

M

Mpasa

Mar 19, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Polaris have three times the "serious" issues, bikes on fire and crap like that. this seems like probably just bikes that see a lot of deep water, wouldn't let it make my decision or not. only other bike id consider ids the wolverine, they are just as durable and the x2-4 has the same power as the 1000 pioneer. really depends x2 is bit better on trails ride and center console and that, pioneer is a little better on the work stuff

I selected the Pioneer P1000-3 for our family of three (2 adults / 1 kid) and primarily for work and a little play. Definetly not the one who will abuse the machine. I'm not concerned about the recent recall and it affecting the performance, in fact my understanding is that very few to none have had a "sticky" accelerator pedal at all.

I guess my biggest concern at this point is buying from a non local dealer 2 hours away and having to deal with future recalls and warranty.

I would love to work with my local dealer, but we are talking over $1,000 savings.

Reactions: TimG and sharp
Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with everything the other guys said.
I purchased mine from my favorite dealer that also had the best pricing I could find. He's 3.5 hours away. I took mine back for the clutch because I trust his mechanic and I coordinated with him so I dropped it off when they opened and took it home 2 hours later. I had the muffler done by the now closed dealership in Lafollette TN with no questions asked. I just had my closest Powerhouse dealer do the ECM flash update and they never questioned where I bought from, they just seemed happy I was there. I am disappointed because I missed the Talon by 1 day though.
So, my experience has been that recall/ updates have nothing to do with where you bought from. I would also add that I feel the clutch was the only major update Honda has had that would affect most people.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
where you get it doesn't matter, in the future you can go to the local one if you trust the service department

Reactions: JTW and sharp
GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
You will get a one year warranty on the machine from Honda. Its good at any Honda dealership, no matter where you buy it. Its the same way with cars or trucks. A dealer might give you the run around about getting it in their shop but they will fix it especially if its warranty related! I'm considering going 6 hours away to buy my next sxs. I can save over 1500 bucks by doing so so I understand

Reactions: TimG and sharp
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Picked up a new 1000-5 on the friday before the stop sale came out. I was in the same boat as you about going to a different dealer because of the lower price and such. We finally went to our local dealer and paid a little more, but they are a good group of guys. I asked about recalls and updates and they said if you bought it here they would drop everything and get it done. If you bought it somewhere else you would have to make an appointment but they would be happy to fix it either way. Stick to your gut.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Isnt this the first "recall" for the pioneer? I thought everything else was just part of the product improvement campaign. I could be wrong (just ask my wife lol)

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Isnt this the first "recall" for the pioneer? I thought everything else was just part of the product improvement campaign. I could be wrong (just ask my wife lol)
There has been a few recalls.
Exhaust shield
Intake tubing
Engine balancer
this throttle issue.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The way I see it defenders blow alot of diffs. Polaris are exciting but cheap junk.
Yamaha solid.
Honda, hey we found a better design for the clutch let everyone know we will update it for years if ya want. Oh after 3 years we found a better bolt for the throttle. Don't sell any until we get the best bolt In there!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Mpasa, I'm also ready to buy but the recall is throwing a kink. I should have gone and bought it on the 9th but decided to wait till that Friday the 15th. At that point, the dealer knew of the stop sale and would not sell it to me. I refused to continue purchase as I'm not paying for something I can't have. Now I risk another buyer who is willing to wait to snatch my machine up.

As for the deposit. I'd be raising total hell if they did not refund your deposit. They may have no problem refunding it and only took it as a gesture on your part to issue a hold. Without, as I said above, they have no reason to hold it for you and will sell to the first buyer.

There is hope that Honda will issue an Inspect, Lube, and Release procedure next week. If this is the case we can pick them up once they file the completion records. Lets hope this is the case.

This is what I'm after.

M

Mpasa

Mar 19, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Mpasa, I'm also ready to buy but the recall is throwing a kink. I should have gone and bought it on the 9th but decided to wait till that Friday the 15th. At that point, the dealer knew of the stop sale and would not sell it to me. I refused to continue purchase as I'm not paying for something I can't have. Now I risk another buyer who is willing to wait to snatch my machine up.

As for the deposit. I'd be raising total hell if they did not refund your deposit. They may have no problem refunding it and only took it as a gesture on your part to issue a hold. Without, as I said above, they have no reason to hold it for you and will sell to the first buyer.

There is hope that Honda will issue an Inspect, Lube, and Release procedure next week. If this is the case we can pick them up once they file the completion records. Lets hope this is the case.

This is what I'm after.
View attachment 116357

So I haven't asked for a refund yet... But I did mention to the dealer owner/operator today that I'm not funding the deal until the recall and machine is complete and ready for pick up. I think that's fair.

Reactions: TimG and Plumber32
Gold-digger

Gold-digger

Mar 12, 2019
Ocean Shores Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The recall covers 2016 -2019
So people have been driving it for 2 years . There issues are foot peddle sticking after it get wet from rust , just dont submarine it bet you won't have any problems if you keep it out of the water if it sticks put it in N and turn off the key

Reactions: TimG
gullyjumper

gullyjumper

Sep 30, 2016
cookeville tn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There are a few good machines out there but I do believe the honda s are the best!

Reactions: TimG
H

HondaTech

No Honda dealership can refuse a safety recall, that's agaisnt the law and dealer agreement.

It put a hamper on a couple sales for us too. I'll gladly do any recall you need, it's free money from Honda. Dealers who wont are just loosing money IMO.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!