P1000m5 Strapping the 4x4 to a trailer

S

Skeyter

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2017
Manassas, VA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After much research, and some trial and error, I have finally found what may be the best solution to securely tying my Honda to my trailer. Mac's of Idaho makes a 2" set that combines an axle strap with a ratcheting strap. It seems perfect. My question is, why don't dealers, especially dealers selling both SxS's and trailers, know how to marry the two, or have suitable strapping to safely and securely toe them together? I'm new at this so maybe I've missed prior comments. Also, where, on a P5KD, is the best location to attach the strapping?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I use a ratchet strap to the lower a arms in the hole in the bottom crossed to the opposite side of trailer on each a arm. (4total) They ratchet straps the go over the tire that are hooked to the trailer. There are some threads on this.This is probably the most secure way, but you will have to make a eye or something to attach the strap to the bed of the trailer. One thing you do not to do is hook to machine like the bumper, or any way that will allow the suspension to bounce against the straps, this can cause a strap to break.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After much research, and some trial and error, I have finally found what may be the best solution to securely tying my Honda to my trailer. Mac's of Idaho makes a 2" set that combines an axle strap with a ratcheting strap. It seems perfect. My question is, why don't dealers, especially dealers selling both SxS's and trailers, know how to marry the two, or have suitable strapping to safely and securely toe them together? I'm new at this so maybe I've missed prior comments. Also, where, on a P5KD, is the best location to attach the strapping?

I use same brand just plain 2" one in front, one in d ring that is in rear hitch took the hooks off and cut to length i just loop them .Then i hook winch loose for safety B440444240a822d323bc8ff048496971

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I like chocks going to half to look to those or make some

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No, I had to go to harbor freight and buy longer ratchet straps. So they are working now!

2 in. x 16 ft. E-Track Tie Down Strap
This is a cool couple, we got separated from the group at Mulberry, took them down a really rough goat trail to find the group and they had a blast, me too, and never b****ed! Had a swim and?

Reactions: BWAF
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is a cool couple, we got separated from the group at Mulberry, took them down a really rough goat trail to find the group and they had a blast, me too, and never b****ed! Had a swim and?
Drank beer.

Reactions: BWAF
Pmed489

Pmed489

Sep 29, 2017
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I used a 12 inch peice of decent sized chain and ran over the top of hitch receiver and then looped through holes by hitch pin coupler. I cross straps hooking to chain and a arm slot. and the front I run the strao through bumper over the top bar of the bumper from side to side. it dont move. all straps are rated at 10,000lbs plus with hooks secured to trailer onr one side and running strap through hook hole to trailer post on other.

Reactions: AlR and BWAF
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I have these straps and use them when I am trailering an hour or more... In order to do right you really need to not have the A arms guards and be able to hook the strap through your A arms. I only recently went to Super ATV A arms and have not installed any guards yet.
I would do the chock if I knew I would be parking the machine in the same place every time on the trailer.

Reactions: Smitty335 and BWAF
L

Landlord9000

Feb 10, 2018
Springfield, MO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
One thing you do not to do is hook to machine like the bumper, or any way that will allow the suspension to bounce against the straps, this can cause a strap to break.

So after reading this, dismissing it, and towing the rig around, I come home to find it broke straps and was just parked on the trailer with nothing actually holding it.....

I'm going to order them wheel chocks before I dump a Pk3 on the highway.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So after reading this, dismissing it, and towing the rig around, I come home to find it broke straps and was just parked on the trailer with nothing actually holding it.....

I'm going to order them wheel chocks before I dump a Pk3 on the highway.
It happens we all most lost a friends rhino

Reactions: Smitty335
J

JTW

So I don’t like a strap against anything. I prefer metal to metal. So here’s my 2 cents and setup.
I used a couple D-rings on the bumper for forward points and used two d-rings with 1 3/4 exhaust hangers for the rear points.
76612458 CDCC 4B9E B15E 5B548EB65EC3
F2A345C0 1644 480C 9E87 DBA589E7521B2DFD4B4A 493D 4049 B233 B19EA5A8E0520408EFBD 22EB 4250 9CEB 57413547C12B

B67E00BD 482C 462E A79C CCF46AB3717D ECB64A9E E0C6 4D50 BDC1 8FD9DD16D1C5
I’ve since swapped the rear straps for chains. My bike is now always in the right place with the chains and there is no way for it to come loose. I just pull it up on the trailer, unhook the forward clasp and hook them on the rear d-rings. I pull up to get the slack out and squat the rear end, I set the parking brake, put it in neutral and then put my straps in the forward bumper d-rings and crank her down. It does not move.
AF1A2941 59AA 46F9 8E0B 0AB678F4CFE8

The straps are from Rural King and you can’t beat them for the $$. You can easily bottom out the suspension with them.

2" x 27' J Hook Tie Down Ratchet Strap 10,000 lb RTD227JH : Rural King

Reactions: BWAF and Ragnar406
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm still strapping the rear with hooks in the square frame tubing. With small strap around loop of front bumper. If a strap ever breaks I may upgrade to a wheel chock type device. But for now, if it ain't broke don't fix it. It's worked perfectly so far (since Jan 5, 2016)

Reactions: BWAF and Ragnar406
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use my winch in the front and straps in the back. Any down side to using the winch to hold it to the trailer?
@Flgator_80 - I know quite a few people that do that with success but I have always heard that it puts stress on the winch spool (or something like that) and it should be avoided.

Hell when I bought my Honda the guys loaded it on the trailer and said I was good to go... I said can you help me strap it down? They said how far are you going? Awe you will be fine :eek:
Needless to say I strapped it down.

I will take pics of how I strap down when I load up tomorrow

Flgator_80

Flgator_80

Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2017
Lexington, Tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Flgator_80 - I know quite a few people that do that with success but I have always heard that it puts stress on the winch spool (or something like that) and it should be avoided.

Hell when I bought my Honda the guys loaded it on the trailer and said I was good to go... I said can you help me strap it down? They said how far are you going? Awe you will be fine :eek:
Needless to say I strapped it down.

I will take pics of how I strap down when I load up tomorrow
I don't usually trailer it far but I'm going on the Mulberry ride leaving out thur night and I 'll prob use at least 4 straps to hold it. Leaving plenty early so I 'll make a few stops to check. The way I drive it needs to be secured! Lol

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!