Street legal

R

Revrox

Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2018
Pa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I talked to a guy at dirtlegal.com. I asked him if he could make my pioneer street legal in PA. He said yes. All he would do is register my machine in South Dakota. I have to put their required equipment on. Turn signals, horn, the whole nine yards. I can register as a non-resident and no yearly inspections are required. He said I would be street legal in PA. Has anyone here ever dealt with dirtlegal.com, or has anyone registered their machine as a non-resident in SD to be street legal in your state?

Reactions: Mudwing
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
or has anyone registered their machine as a non-resident in SD to be street legal in your state?
I’ve registered and licensed one of my Pioneer 1000’s in SD. It was pretty easy if expensive, about $700.00

After that initial expense the annual tag they mail you is about $30.00

You can check out this thread for some info and if you do a search, we’ve discussed this topic in other threads before as well.

Low speed highway use, Florida

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve registered and licensed one of my Pioneer 1000’s in SD. It was pretty easy if expensive, about $700.00

After that initial expense the annual tag they mail you is about $30.00

You can check out this thread for some info and if you do a search, we’ve discussed this topic in other threads before as well.

Low speed highway use, Florida

SD is 4% of NADA if over 6months since purchase or 4% of Purchase price if Tax was not paid at purchase. Then @$75 in fees. Was about $450 for my ‘16 1000-5, but $30 a year after.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
SD is 4% of NADA if over 6months since purchase or 4% of Purchase price if Tax was not paid at purchase. Then @$75 in fees. Was about $450 for my ‘16 1000-5, but $30 a year after.
Yeah, it’s been a couple years or more since I did it. I didn’t pay tax at purchase because of my farm tax number and I’m thinking SD didn’t care about that, may have had to pay it to them?? Pretty sure my total initial expense was about $700.00

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, it’s been a couple years or more since I did it. I didn’t pay tax at purchase because of my farm tax number and I’m thinking SD didn’t care about that, may have had to pay it to them?? Pretty sure my total initial expense was about $700.00

I may have told them mine was bone stock with 20000 miles...

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I may have told them mine was bone stock with 20000 miles...
I had to sign an affidavit stating that I would install all the road legal accessories as part of the initial registration process. Also, I’ve found out that it differs somewhat depending on what county DMV you go through in the state.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had to sign an affidavit stating that I would install all the road legal accessories as part of the initial registration process. Also, I’ve found out that it differs somewhat depending on what county DMV you go through in the state.

I’ll look and see what county I used. They made me sign the affidavit but it already had the parts, I didn’t want to pay any more taxes than I’m already forced at gunpoint to pay.

Reactions: JTW and Mudwing
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I’ll look and see what county I used. They made me sign the affidavit but it already had the parts, I didn’t want to pay any more taxes than I’m already forced at gunpoint to pay.
There was a forum member, who’s name escapes me, that lived in Iowa I think and crossed the border and registered in that SD county that borders Iowa, and he gave me the name/contact info of the woman he worked with there so I just used her.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I didn’t want to pay any more taxes than I’m already forced at gunpoint to pay.
Indeed, myself either. but if I recall correctly, South Dakota didn’t give a crap about my Oklahoma farm tax number. Pretty sure they made me pay, to them, the SD rate sales tax. :rolleyes:

Reactions: ohanacreek
R

Revrox

Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2018
Pa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well before calling dirtlegal.com, I had already went through and just registered my Pioneer in SD because I had heard it would work for street legal purposes in PA. Dirtlegal.com confirmed what I had heard about registering in SD. I received my registration card and license plate. The total was about $50. I did not have to pay SD tax because I had already paid PA tax so I just had to pay the registration fees. I had to have my dealer fill out a form to prove I had paid taxes. I had to submit the notarized affidavit form proving I had the street legal equipment installed. What I'm really wondering is has anyone driven an ATV or UTV with a SD registration on public roads in states where this is prohibited and gotten away with it?

Reactions: ohanacreek
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
What I'm really wondering is has anyone driven an ATV or UTV with a SD registration on public roads in states where this is prohibited and gotten away with it?
I have, but just because I haven’t been stopped doesn’t mean it’s passed the test.

R

Revrox

Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2018
Pa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dang it man!!!!!!!!!:cool:
Yeah that's cheap because I already paid 6% PA sales tax. I may just have to run it down the road, get caught and let the judge decide. Dirt legal claims they have registered machines all over the country with SD registration and people are driving happily all over public roads but have yet to heard first hand of someone actually getting caught and getting let go. I live within hundreds of miles of US forestry roads that are only open to licensed street legal vehicles. I'm trying to find any way or loophole to make mine street legal because when it comes to ATVs , these roads are aggressively enforced here.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah that's cheap because I already paid 6% PA sales tax. I may just have to run it down the road, get caught and let the judge decide. Dirt legal claims they have registered machines all over the country with SD registration and people are driving happily all over public roads but have yet to heard first hand of someone actually getting caught and getting let go. I live within hundreds of miles of US forestry roads that are only open to licensed street legal vehicles. I'm trying to find any way or loophole to make mine street legal because when it comes to ATVs , these roads are aggressively enforced here.
I did a body code change on my 1000 to a mini-truck. So similar to a farm vehicle. I have street plates on it currently. I can drive it anywhere in Ohio where a county does not specifically outlaw it. As long as I stay off the state routes and interstate. No one bothers me.

Reactions: JTW and Mudwing
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did a body code change on my 1000 to a mini-truck. So similar to a farm vehicle. I have street plates on it currently. I can drive it anywhere in Ohio where a county does not specifically outlaw it. As long as I stay off the state routes and interstate. No one bothers me.

Yeah Alabama stopped that a while back...
As bad as our roads are you need the 20” of travel the Talon R offers.....

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Well before calling dirtlegal.com, I had already went through and just registered my Pioneer in SD because I had heard it would work for street legal purposes in PA. Dirtlegal.com confirmed what I had heard about registering in SD. I received my registration card and license plate. The total was about $50. I did not have to pay SD tax because I had already paid PA tax so I just had to pay the registration fees. I had to have my dealer fill out a form to prove I had paid taxes. I had to submit the notarized affidavit form proving I had the street legal equipment installed. What I'm really wondering is has anyone driven an ATV or UTV with a SD registration on public roads in states where this is prohibited and gotten away with it?

Did you do it online or call a DMV in SD and have the paperwork mailed to you? I would like to have it all done electronically without paying dirtlegal $400 if it was simple as doing it on a website.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!