P1000 Sub Transmission Oil Plug Cracked Casing

A

aspire

Sep 14, 2020
ottawa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2020 Pioneer 1000 EPS and was performing an oil change of the sub transmission and over torqued the oil drain plug cracking the casing around it. Now its a much bigger problem and I am pretty frustrated. I have a paper copy of the service manual but looking for some advice.

Assume I have to remove the sub transmission completely to fix?
Do I need to drain the new engine oil I just put in, in addition, to the sub transmission oil?
Assume I will need these replacement parts to complete job? Anything else?

GASKET, SUB-TRANSMISSION CASE
21206-HL4-003
GASKET, SUB-TRANSMISSION COVER
21205-HL4-003
CASE, SUB-TRANSMISSION
21100-HL4-000
COLLAR PARKING (its cheap and there is a recall so figured i would get one)
24563-HL4-000

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2020 Pioneer 1000 EPS and was performing an oil change of the sub transmission and over torqued the oil drain plug cracking the casing around it. Now its a much bigger problem and I am pretty frustrated. I have a paper copy of the service manual but looking for some advice.

Assume I have to remove the sub transmission completely to fix?
Do I need to drain the new engine oil I just put in, in addition, to the sub transmission oil?
Assume I will need these replacement parts to complete job? Anything else?

21206-HL4-003
21206-HL4-003
CASE, SUB-TRANSMISSION
21100-HL4-000
COLLAR PARKING (its cheap and there is a recall so figured i would get one)
24563-HL4-000

Thanks
If there is a recall on park collar buy case and let them put new piece in when they do recall !!???

Reactions: ChadD
H

HondaTech

If there is a recall on park collar buy case and let them put new piece in when they do recall !!???

The recall involves inspecting the collar to see if its missing with a borescope. The sub trans only needs disassembled if the collar is missing, which I haven't seen a missing one yet.

Reactions: ChadD and BWAF
A

aspire

Sep 14, 2020
ottawa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The recall involves inspecting the collar to see if its missing with a borescope. The sub trans only needs disassembled if the collar is missing, which I haven't seen a missing one yet.

I am also 3 hours away from a dealer without a trailer. I don't mind doing the work myself, just looking for some guidance.

Reactions: JACKAL and ChadD
Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Look up the threads on adding the lower talon reverse gears. They show the steps to remove and reinstall the sub trans.

Add the talon gears while you are in there.

A

aspire

Sep 14, 2020
ottawa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Any thoughts on how to transfer the bearings from the old case to the new? The machine is only 6 months old with light usage so the bearings should be in good shape. There are 4 of them to transfer and the bigger one has an oil seal. I don't have the specialized tools or a press. I have seen Youtube videos where a heat gun is used on the case/bearing and then gently knocked out with a mallet and follow a similar process to install.

20210117 181548

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Any thoughts on how to transfer the bearings from the old case to the new? The machine is only 6 months old with light usage so the bearings should be in good shape. There are 4 of them to transfer and the bigger one has an oil seal. I don't have the specialized tools or a press. I have seen Youtube videos where a heat gun is used on the case/bearing and then gently knocked out with a mallet and follow a similar process to install.

View attachment 249555
How did u crack it?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

View attachment 249555
I'd make a puller out of threaded rod. To tap them out, you're hitting the inner race which drives the outer race by impacting the balls, bad juju. A puller is much more gentle. The alum may expand enough when heated for them to drop out but then you have to worry about the one with a seal.

Reactions: Mudwing
H

HondaTech

You'll never get the needle bearings removed without destroying them, id count on getting that one. Without a blind bearing puller the smaller ball bearing isn't coming out either.

Reactions: Mudwing and ChadD
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New bearings can’t be that expensive, I’d put in new bearings and get that case fixed for a spare.

A

aspire

Sep 14, 2020
ottawa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You'll never get the needle bearings removed without destroying them, id count on getting that one. Without a blind bearing puller the smaller ball bearing isn't coming out either.

Dumb question... since the original case is already broken, what prevents me from taking an angle grinder to the case to free up the bearings?

A

aspire

Sep 14, 2020
ottawa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
New bearings can’t be that expensive, I’d put in new bearings and get that case fixed for a spare.

Fair point... if I go this route, what method should i use to install them?

H

HondaTech

Dumb question... since the original case is already broken, what prevents me from taking an angle grinder to the case to free up the bearings?

You'd be pressed to cut them out and not damage them, especially those needle bearings. That and all the metal shrapnel could end up in the bearing and shorten its life drastically.

Reactions: Mudwing
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can fix that case, I wouldn’t destroy it.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fair point... if I go this route, what method should i use to install them?
If you don’t have the tools to press them in I’d take it to the dealer and have them press the bearings in, take them 10 mins to do probably.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I used a torque wrench to tighten the drain bolt but never heard it click... i kept going and it cracked the case. It was stupid and i should have known better but it is what it is. Now i have a big job to fix...the good news is I will never make this mistake again :)
I'm always messing something up myself..

Reactions: Mudwing and ChadD
R

rickoshea

I used a torque wrench to tighten the drain bolt but never heard it click... i kept going and it cracked the case. It was stupid and i should have known better but it is what it is. Now i have a big job to fix...the good news is I will never make this mistake again :)
i stripped mine trying to remove it last oil change.9 ft. lbs? in.lbs maybe.never again with a torque wrench.i only had to buy a new set of metric bolt extractors because of course mine were at the other house.it only cost me 2 new bolts and a jug of oil (because i removed the filter before i undid the drain).

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!