Sub Transmission oil.

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I run Lucas full synthetic 20w-50 in the sub trans and have had 0 issues shifting the sub trans into low or any other gear. I also use the Mobil 1 4t in the engine/trans. Don't forget to perform the clutch relearn procedure every 1000 miles, keeps the shifts nice and quick.;)

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I run Lucas full synthetic 20w-50 in the sub trans and have had 0 issues shifting the sub trans into low or any other gear. I also use the Mobil 1 4t in the engine/trans. Don't forget to perform the clutch relearn procedure every 1000 miles, keeps the shifts nice and quick.;)

For the curious, that video (not mine) is linked in the thread in my sig. Although the video shows a Pioneer, the procedure is the same.

Reactions: IDIOT and JWM1000-5
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
just remember when it fails a relearn it means the clutch is shot lol found out the hard way
The clutches are not in the subtrans, they are on the engine side of things. Oil selection in the subtrans has no effect on the clutches.

I hate that they call it a subtrans. It's a freakin transfer case!! Only difference between it and one in a regular 4x4 pickup is the park function and reverser gear. And it only has one of those because it basically has a motorcycle engine in it. I don't think there is a motorcycle transmission on the planet that has a reverse gear built into the transmission gear set. Most, if not all are reverser gear setups outside the main transmission gear set.

The things I want to know about the subtrans for racing purposes...... Does the low gear, both input and output, in the subtrans spin constantly when it's in high gear, and would machining down low gear(s) affect reverse? IE: Does reverse use any part of the low gear stack? If they spin in high gear and are not needed for reverse I'd like to machine off as much of the gear(s) as possible without removing any strength to the overall assembly. Less rotating weight = quicker acceleration = moar faster. :cool:

The above-mentioned questions are not directly aimed at you specifically, just figured I'd throw them out there in case sombody has been inside one of these and got to take a good look around. Ahem...... @HondaTech. 😁

Last edited:
M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
i was refering to the comment of doing a relearn every 1000 miles

only info i can give on the sub trans is that in the pv3 i can see the gear ratios for reverse has a different ratio than low and high. i have not been inside mine yet so i have not looked it up and what not... i just fill it with syn 75 90 and go

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Specifically which redline shockproof oil? Seems there's not weights but rather "heavy, medium, light". Odd,=.

Reactions: Blownzuki
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I use lightweight in the subtrans and heavyweight in the diffs.

If you read the description for each product on the Redline site it gives you equivalent weights for each.

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I use lightweight in the subtrans and heavyweight in the diffs.

If you read the description for each product on the Redline site it gives you equivalent weights for each.

I'm a bit confused, everything I read in the manual and on Redline's website and such indicate the sub trans is supposed to have 10w30 in it, not gear oil- Is the redline gear oil thing a "proven" fix for the sub trans issues, or are you just trying it out to see? Thanks!

Reactions: Blownzuki
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm a bit confused, everything I read in the manual and on Redline's website and such indicate the sub trans is supposed to have 10w30 in it, not gear oil- Is the redline gear oil thing a "proven" fix for the sub trans issues, or are you just trying it out to see? Thanks!

Im not trying it out, I'm using it in the subtrans now and have no plans to ever run motor oil in it again. Running thin oil in a fragile case(subtrans) is just asking for trouble.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Can I ask why you gentlemen want to change fluids?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Can I ask why you gentlemen want to change fluids?
I use my Talon strictly for short course racing in Texas. 10w30 motor oil is water on a summer day BEFORE I even run it and the subtrans is a known weak link. Having extra protection with a thicker fluid is key to its longevity in my opinion.

I also run Heavyweight Shockproof in the diffs even though a thinner oil is specified in the manual.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
just remember when it fails a relearn it means the clutch is shot lol found out the hard way
I thought it failed because it wasn't warm enough. Keep Revving it!

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
I use my Talon strictly for short course racing in Texas. 10w30 motor oil is water on a summer day BEFORE I even run it and the subtrans is a known weak link. Having extra protection with a thicker fluid is key to its longevity in my opinion.

I also run Heavyweight Shockproof in the diffs even though a thinner oil is specified in the manual.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!