BOX1

P700 Sudden down shift

J

jbeloit2550

Sep 9, 2020
Pilot Rock, Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys first off I want to say I’m new to the Honda pioneer world but not hondas. I own a 2020 1k5p but here’s my question, so a buddy of mine is currently trying out a 2014 700-3 and it will suddenly just down shift to what feels like 1st gear. Happens when it’s up to temp and it will shift from say 3rd to 1st like all of sudden. I’ve been searching for awhile now and can’t seem to find the answer so here I am. Hopefully someone can help.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yes that is correct.
Wow...that's a new one. We'll see if @HondaTech has time to chime in.

Weird shifting on a 700 usually dictates checking the oil level first (though I don't know if it would cause sudden downshifting). Check it by the procedure laid out in the owners manual for a accurate level, and don't be afraid to run it slightly over.
Any check engine lights? Does the Speedo drop out or anything like that? Gear display stay constant?
Also, check grounds and battery connections and tighten.

Reactions: Mudwing and CID
J

jbeloit2550

Sep 9, 2020
Pilot Rock, Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow...that's a new one. We'll see if @HondaTech has time to chime in.

Weird shifting on a 700 usually dictates checking the oil level first (though I don't know if it would cause sudden downshifting). Check it by the procedure laid out in the owners manual for a accurate level, and don't be afraid to run it slightly over.
Any check engine lights? Does the Speedo drop out or anything like that? Gear display stay constant?
Also, check grounds and battery connections and tighten.
We checked the oil and it was right at the full mark I’ll tell him to check all the grounds and battery connections. He’s going to call the stealership tomorrow and see if they have any insight on it and maybe take it to them. Also no check engine light and we weren’t really looking at the speedo at the time. It does it every time so maybe I’ll tell him to go run it again and watch this time.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
We checked the oil and it was right at the full mark I’ll tell him to check all the grounds and battery connections. He’s going to call the stealership tomorrow and see if they have any insight on it and maybe take it to them. Also no check engine light and we weren’t really looking at the speedo at the time. It does it every time so maybe I’ll tell him to go run it again and watch this time.
Please update us as to what is found.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sounds like it might be a shift valve problem. Could be wrong but iv seem them do something similar before. But never to 1st. Usually to 2nd or trying to stay in 2nd. I dont think its oil related usually thats slippage. Could just be a faulty shift selenoid or a wire near it .

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudwing
J

jbeloit2550

Sep 9, 2020
Pilot Rock, Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alright guys, problem is solved. He went and got oil, filter, spring, washer and oring and decided to start with changing everything. Pulled the filter out and there was no spring or washer. Got new filter in with spring and washer filled it with oil and drove it around for about an hour and it never did it again. So he’s now going to buy it for one heck of a price! Cheap I’ll say that much!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Alright guys, problem is solved. He went and got oil, filter, spring, washer and oring and decided to start with changing everything. Pulled the filter out and there was no spring or washer. Got new filter in with spring and washer filled it with oil and drove it around for about an hour and it never did it again. So he’s now going to buy it for one heck of a price! Cheap I’ll say that much!
Awesome! Thanks for letting us know.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!