Summer 2019 in the San Juan Mountains

Durangotang

Durangotang

Feb 24, 2018
Just outside Durango, CO
Made another run into the San Juan's to see how trails are fairing now that we're into "summer". The good news is that most of the major routes are now open. The bad is that side trails - which can be great routes - are for the most part still blocked with snow. The most notable route still blocked is County Road 2 from Silverton to Animas Forks. But, there is another way.

Setting out from Silverton I headed north on 110. About 6 miles up you bear left onto 10 which climbs and eventually takes you over Hurricane Pass and past Lake Como. As you can see, there still lots of snow at this elevation.

East Side of Hurricane Pass

Lake Como

It was then down into California Gulch and past the Frisco Mill site. This view is looking back to the west.

Frisco Mill

Arrived at Animas Forks which was packed with visitors. In my earlier post I had gone to the south side of the blockage on CR 2 so I wanted to check out the north side. You begin to get an idea how much snow came down the surrounding slide shoots from this view.

Slide Area South of Animas Forks

As with many avalanches, road crews are dealing with more than just snow. These shots show some of the debris which was brought down the mountain.

Slide Area South of Animas Forks 2
Slide Area South of Animas Forks 3

Walked down to a point where I could see a county bulldozer working to clear CR 2 at least up to the turn off for Poughkeepsie Gulch. I'd estimate that I was standing on 60 plus feet of snow that has to be removed.

Slide Area South of Animas Forks 4

All in all, it was an enjoyable day. Biggest headache was the amount of vehicles out on the trail. One group was a club of Toyota / Lexus SUV owners that numbered over 70 vehicles. Nearly every pull off was packed with these folks which made it difficult for anyone else. Glad they were having fun but with a group this size you're really overwhelming the capacity of the trail.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow! Do you think that will be open by the end of August? CR 2 being the main ingress/egress for Animas from Silverton, that really bottlenecks the area.

Durangotang

Durangotang

Feb 24, 2018
Just outside Durango, CO
Wow! Do you think that will be open by the end of August? CR 2 being the main ingress/egress for Animas from Silverton, that really bottlenecks the area.

I spoke with someone who said the county road dept was shooting for the end of Aug. If they make date that is anyone's guess.

But there is the - longer - route over Hurricane pass to get to Silverton.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
California and Hurricane then return via Cement Creek is the more enjoyable route but longer if you need to make time or think the Pioneer is about out of gas (put 4 gallons in at the Triangle and filled it, the gauge is WAY off...).

Reactions: stellarpod

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!