BOX1

P1000 Super ATV a arms, new ball joints?

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've ordered satv front a arms, but I only have 400 miles on my pk1-5. None of the boots on the front upper and lower ball joints are torn.

Is it worth buying new ball joints to install while I install the new a arms? From my searches, some have replaced them while others reinstalled the OEM ones.

What's the consensus, reinstall OEM or purchase new? If replacing what brand is best for the money?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Purchase new ball joints. Hands down.
You could damage your original ones trying to remove them.
I think @my99svt is upgrading his superatv arms with the superatv ball joints. Maybe he will have some insight.

D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ
I just did this too. I went ahead and bought new Ball joints and pressed them in. That way if I ever have a warranty issue I still have the stock a arms and I’m not down and still able to ride while it’s getting repaired or replaced.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Two tears in a bucket....

I ordered the superatv HD ball joints. Cry once.

Reactions: Lady01 and Eltobgi
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@Eltobgi ran satv joints and they looked good.
Agree with @Neohio dont reuse ball joints it’s a pita and can get damaged unless a really decent press.

my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R
Purchase new ball joints. Hands down.
You could damage your original ones trying to remove them.
I think @my99svt is upgrading his superatv arms with the superatv ball joints. Maybe he will have some insight.
Yes, definitely new ball joints. I've gone thru a ton of them because of some damn issue. Just bought a new set of a arms and super atv ball joints.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New a arms and ball joints installed, alignment still to do.

I have misplaced the damn steering stops somewhere.......

20190316 152129

D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ
Looks great! I just finished mine yesterday I haven’t decided if I’m going to put the steering stops in or not.

M

Marty94

Jul 9, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey guys I bought the new satv a arms and their ball joints and pressed in yesterday. But when I went to reassemble the lower ball joint doesn’t want to sit in the spindle like stock. Acts almost as if it was the wrong size...called satv and they said that it was right. But I didn’t have enough room with the lock nut They sent to install the cotter pin. Anyone else have trouble with that?

Reactions: Lady01
S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Never tried but I replaced both lower a-arms on my 2016 with used arms that came with ball joints. My spare set of arms has ball joints in it
I just bought new ones for my SATV. They are pretty cheap from Honda. Uppers are rasy to get out. The bottom are just going to stay in the old arms...

Cattrell

Cattrell

Nov 26, 2018
Church Hill TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys I bought the new satv a arms and their ball joints and pressed in yesterday. But when I went to reassemble the lower ball joint doesn’t want to sit in the spindle like stock. Acts almost as if it was the wrong size...called satv and they said that it was right. But I didn’t have enough room with the lock nut They sent to install the cotter pin. Anyone else have trouble with that?
Did you ever get an answer for this or what did you work out? Im right in the middle of changing mine and having the same issue. Im just walking away for the evening now before I decide to set it on fire.....
Any suggestions?

Reactions: JordanH and Lady01
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did you ever get an answer for this or what did you work out? Im right in the middle of changing mine and having the same issue. Im just walking away for the evening now before I decide to set it on fire.....
Any suggestions?
I tried to reuse my stock ball joints one obviously ruined at the time of the original install the other I thought was good until some riding and I had ruined it too. It was less than 50 bucks for 2 new ones. I wish I would have done it the first time. I have a 20 ton press with several dies it was no fault of the tools.

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5

You have to start the nut with the balljoint loose in the spindle if you left the axle in. Not enough room to start the nut with the balljoint shooved all the way into the spindle.
I beleive this is what you are asking about..

Cattrell

Cattrell

Nov 26, 2018
Church Hill TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You have to start the nut with the balljoint loose in the spindle if you left the axle in. Not enough room to start the nut with the balljoint shooved all the way into the spindle.
I beleive this is what you are asking about..
The issue is the amount of shaft sticking up from the arm to hub. I had the whole thing apart so setting the nut was not the issue. I have to remove the washers to get the nuts on far enough to set a cotter pin. I don’t think the ball joints are machined properly for this application

M

Marty94

Jul 9, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I ended up using the nuts off the old ball joints to be able to get the keys in. I also had to go up a wheel size to a 14” because with the lower ball joint sticking out more it was just touching the inside of the wheel. Slight inconvenience, I was going to get 14” wheels eventually just done it sooner than planned.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!