P1000 Super ATV winch question for you electrical guys !

K

kevin1

Oct 26, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I purchased a Super ATV 4500 winch and installed it on my Pioneer its been on it since October of 2018 It has a wireless remote or a rocker type switch to run it . I noticed one day while it was setting running I thought I heard it Click (come on) just a split second I thought cant be the winch and didn't think anything else about it . couple weeks go by and I walked by the front end one day and noticed about a foot of rope hanging down first thing I did was check and see if it was turned to free spool figured the grandkids been fooling with it but it wasn't it was in lock position still didn't think a lot about it till a week or so later I was riding it and all of a sudden it started turning off and on out of the blue I jumped out and jerked the hood off and finally got it unplugged to stop it by this time the fairlead and bracket was bent back into the front of the winch itself
So I started running all the wires double checking everything all of it is wired per the instructions its foolproof with the screw together connections . I have been fooling with this thing for 3-4 weeks trying to figure what and how it can activate on its own I called Super ATV and purchased a new solenoid that didn't work I called back and purchased a new rocker switch that didn't work the one and only part I have not purchased yet is the control box for the wireless remote . Is it possible for the wireless remote control box to be getting a signal from something on the Pioneer to activate the winch far that split second ? I have even taken the battery out of the wireless remote to be sure it was dead I do have a dual battery setup with a True battery isolator I have run the solenoid activation hot wire straight to the battery I have tried it on the switched hot accessory wire under the fuse box I have tried it on the switch hot wire that plugs to the back of the accessory plug in the dash nothing changes it still activates on its own . Other than the winch I did install The DEI Powersport bilge fan for heat other than that its all stock no other electrical mods or add on have been done I am totally lost on this one !
Oh before I forget it is a 2016 1000-5 Deluxe less than 200 miles on it

my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R
I purchased a Super ATV 4500 winch and installed it on my Pioneer its been on it since October of 2018 It has a wireless remote or a rocker type switch to run it . I noticed one day while it was setting running I thought I heard it Click (come on) just a split second I thought cant be the winch and didn't think anything else about it . couple weeks go by and I walked by the front end one day and noticed about a foot of rope hanging down first thing I did was check and see if it was turned to free spool figured the grandkids been fooling with it but it wasn't it was in lock position still didn't think a lot about it till a week or so later I was riding it and all of a sudden it started turning off and on out of the blue I jumped out and jerked the hood off and finally got it unplugged to stop it by this time the fairlead and bracket was bent back into the front of the winch itself
So I started running all the wires double checking everything all of it is wired per the instructions its foolproof with the screw together connections . I have been fooling with this thing for 3-4 weeks trying to figure what and how it can activate on its own I called Super ATV and purchased a new solenoid that didn't work I called back and purchased a new rocker switch that didn't work the one and only part I have not purchased yet is the control box for the wireless remote . Is it possible for the wireless remote control box to be getting a signal from something on the Pioneer to activate the winch far that split second ? I have even taken the battery out of the wireless remote to be sure it was dead I do have a dual battery setup with a True battery isolator I have run the solenoid activation hot wire straight to the battery I have tried it on the switched hot accessory wire under the fuse box I have tried it on the switch hot wire that plugs to the back of the accessory plug in the dash nothing changes it still activates on its own . Other than the winch I did install The DEI Powersport bilge fan for heat other than that its all stock no other electrical mods or add on have been done I am totally lost on this one !
Oh before I forget it is a 2016 1000-5 Deluxe less than 200 miles on it
I know a guy that has the same issue with his. You really need to have a switch to turn winch power on to stop this.

K

kevin1

Oct 26, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 18 gauge red wire needs to be switched.
It is ! It is not activating while the switch is off only when the switch is on or running if you just turn the switch on and let it set for just a few seconds or minutes it will activate on its own just for a split second If you are riding and happen to not hear it activate after 2-3 times of it doing this it will bend the fairlead bracket back into the front of the winch

Last edited:
K

kevin1

Oct 26, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know a guy that has the same issue with his. You really need to have a switch to turn winch power on to stop this.
I assume you are talking about a main kill switch to kill the main battery hot ?

hardlyworkin

hardlyworkin

Aug 5, 2016
Beckley, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There needs to be a manual switch that turns the power on and off to the superatv rocker switch. The wiring harness that comes off the back of your rocker switch should have small black, green, and red wires. The red wire should be wired to "key on power". This red wire is the one that needs an on/off switch to interrupt power for when the winch is not in use. In other words, both the key will have to be "on" and the added switch will have to be "on" to operate the winch. This would prevent the winch from running if the rocker gets bumped. Hopefully it will prevent the wireless receiver from working as well but I have no idea if it will or not as I don't have one of these winches.

My guess would be that the wireless receiver is picking up some kind of signal that is triggering the winch. These days there are tons of wireless devices that could operate on similar frequencies, causing it to run.

K

kevin1

Oct 26, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There needs to be a manual switch that turns the power on and off to the superatv rocker switch. The wiring harness that comes off the back of your rocker switch should have small black, green, and red wires. The red wire should be wired to "key on power". This red wire is the one that needs an on/off switch to interrupt power for when the winch is not in use. In other words, both the key will have to be "on" and the added switch will have to be "on" to operate the winch. This would prevent the winch from running if the rocker gets bumped. Hopefully it will prevent the wireless receiver from working as well but I have no idea if it will or not as I don't have one of these winches.

My guess would be that the wireless receiver is picking up some kind of signal that is triggering the winch. These days there are tons of wireless devices that could operate on similar frequencies, causing it to run.
You are correct in what you are saying this winch already has a red wire that comes off the solenoid that wires to a switch hot and I know I could interrupt that circuit with a simple on off switch but I shouldn't have to do that on a $400 winch that should work like it was designed to . So I called Super ATV back again yesterday and talked with them some more on the problem and we both agreed that I should unplug the wireless control box receiver and watch it for a few days and see what happens this is the only part besides the winch itself I have not replaced . I agree also that the wireless receiver is getting a small electrical signal from something on the Pioneer for just a split second that is causing this it has to be the machine itself because it can happen anytime anywhere can happen setting in the garage or 5 miles out in the middle of the woods with nothing else around I have even turned my cell phone off to see if it was maybe causing it

Jiggs

Jiggs

Sep 11, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same winch, same problem. I've tried everything that you have already. I'll try unplugging the wireless control box as well. Let me know if and when you fix it, I'll do the same.

K

kevin1

Oct 26, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same winch, same problem. I've tried everything that you have already. I'll try unplugging the wireless control box as well. Let me know if and when you fix it, I'll do the same.
I sure will !
my99svt the guy you know that is having this same problem have it on a Pioneer ?

K

kevin1

Oct 26, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK so unplugging the remote receiver box seems as of now to have stopped the winch from self activating I am going to call SATV today and see if they will send me another one free of charge since I have already purchased a new solenoid and rocker switch trying to correct this problem If they don't I am just going to leave it unplugged and use the rocker switch for the winch in and out I have a winch on the front of a jeep with a remote and have never used it always use the old style plug in hand held switch

K

kevin1

Oct 26, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just called SATV back and told them that I am pretty sure that the wireless receiver is bad since all other parts have been replaced and they agreed to send me a new wireless receiver and a new remote control at no charge but it cost me around $80 in eliminating parts to find it the guy I been dealing with told me that there have been several issues with this style of winch from them when I mentioned that some of you others have had the same issue
With that being said if I were you I would just unplug the wireless box out of the loop the winch will still work with the rocker switch I will more than likely never use the remote but since he agreed to send me a new one at no charge I will change it out

Jiggs

Jiggs

Sep 11, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just called SATV back and told them that I am pretty sure that the wireless receiver is bad since all other parts have been replaced and they agreed to send me a new wireless receiver and a new remote control at no charge but it cost me around $80 in eliminating parts to find it the guy I been dealing with told me that there have been several issues with this style of winch from them when I mentioned that some of you others have had the same issue
With that being said if I were you I would just unplug the wireless box out of the loop the winch will still work with the rocker switch I will more than likely never use the remote but since he agreed to send me a new one at no charge I will change it out
Thank you much Kevin! I'll try it.

B

Brownrp92

Jan 4, 2021
North East
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I just purchased a 2018 Sportsman 1000 xp with 300 Miles and it is doing the same thing, thanks for the assistance! I will be removing the wireless box from the loop.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just purchased a 2018 Sportsman 1000 xp with 300 Miles and it is doing the same thing, thanks for the assistance! I will be removing the wireless box from the loop.
Check the switch first, my factory Polaris switches failed and it would activate it while riding off and on, just needed a new switch at the handle bar.

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!