BOX1

SuperATV Flip Up Windshield is concave

sarge160

sarge160

Feb 3, 2020
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 700-4
I've been on site many times but have been remiss in saying hello. Have gain a lot of ideas for my new toy so thanks to all for posting.

Received and installed my new SuperATV flip up windshield on my 2017 Pioneer 700 4 on Tuesday. It was beautiful until I noticed that the windshield wasn't laying flat against the bottom section. The center was touching the cushion in the center but the sides were approximately 1/2 from the cushion. Upon closer inspection I could see that the windshield was bowed, not straight as I thought it should be. Contacted SuperATV and sent pictures of the windshield and was told that the pictures would be sent to QC and engineering. Was contacted by SuperATV promptly and advised that the windshield is so wide that most will have a bow and that they would send me a thicker seal pad for the bottom section to rectify the sides not touching the pad.
I have read many discussions about the flip up windshield on this and other sites and was convinced that this was the windshield for my "new to me" Pioneer. I'm rather disappointed now that the new windshield is not perfect. I hope I'm not overreacting and am new to the Pioneer community so I'm not familiar with the equipment that goes with toys

My question to members is "have you noticed the same flaw in any of your SuperATV flip up windshields or is mine a one time flaw or maybe the norm"?

SuperATV has been attentive to my concerns and questions but I feel this is a problem in the manufacture process. I'm not sure I'll ever be happy with this windshield but I'll try the thicker pad before deciding what to do next
IMG 2420
IMG 2420IMG 2421IMG 2419IMG 2425IMG 2420IMG 2421IMG 2419IMG 2425. IMG 2420IMG 2421IMG 2419IMG 2425IMG 2420IMG 2421IMG 2419IMG 2425

Reactions: JenElio and Isaiah
aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@SuperATV

mine is flat there on my 1000. I’m sure they will get you happy though

Reactions: JenElio
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You need to adjust it, mine was like that until I adjusted a little.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have one on my Talon and it's slightly bowed but plastic doesn't have the structural rigidity of glass - I'm ok with that. It'll be up most of the time anyway. If rain gets past that seam, I'll check out weather stripping at the local hardware store. I didn't use the bottom rubber weather strip because I didn't want it rubbing on the hood cowl, so I'll have rain coming under the windshield anyway. My plan for that is placing a towel across the width when it rains - rarely for me in the desert where I hope to spend most of my time.

There's a thin plastic V-shaped weather strip with one sticky side, once in place it works like a hinge and is soft enough to follow that slight bow.

Reactions: JenElio and Isaiah
SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
They can be a pain to adjust once in awhile, if you're trying to tweak it to sit perfectly. The extra weather strip should do the trick, but some adjustment of the upper windshield can get it to lay right where it needs to be. Those clamps on the side can be turned in our out just a hair either direction, and that'll help line up the lower piece. If you don't want to mess with that, the weather strip should do the trick. Shoot me a PM after you get it added on there, and we can check from there.

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bet if you put 1/2- 3/4” chunk of something in middle and clamped sides down flush and left in sun for a day it would straighten

Trademark

Trademark

Jun 18, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mine did the same thing. I adjusted it and got the middle and the right side to sit flat. I had some leftover weather stripping from the cut to fit part and just doubled it up on the left side. It hasn't caused any issues.

Reactions: JenElio
sarge160

sarge160

Feb 3, 2020
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for all the replies. Didn't want to come off as whiney but these are expensive and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't over reacting. I have to admit that I really like this windshield. It looks great and seems very strong. I will try your suggestions over the next week or so and get back to y'all with the results.

J

JTW

I’m thinking it’s your install... also. Check that the little plastic angels that mount to the windshield don’t need to be flipped. As I recall this is what happens when they’re put in wrong. It may have been revised by now. But something is off on you alignment.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Mine is bowed ever so slightly. I think I'll be able to adjust it out. I'm also going to add an aluminum strip across the bottom of the top half to hopefully keep it from "flapping" at higher speeds when open.

Reactions: Haldog77
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bet if you put 1/2- 3/4” chunk of something in middle and clamped sides down flush and left in sun for a day it would straighten
I had to do this with a 700 and it worked great.
My 1000 is fairly flush when shut and slightly curved when open.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I had to do this with a 700 and it worked great.
My 1000 is fairly flush when shut and slightly curved when open.
Mine fits pretty good, just wish the lower had a lip to deflect the wind when you have the upper open like my Kolpin shortie has, it deflects wind great and easy to keep a hat on your head, may see if the Kolpin will work with the Super ATV upper or see if I can find someone that can mold hard coat plexiglass to fit my Kolphin and use the hard ware from SuperATV's windshield ?

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FYI about SATV windshield. I'd advise putting loctite on all the screws. I have lost a few after a day of rough trails.

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone drove 60mph plus for extended periods with SATV windshield open? I did briefly and heard some creaking and promptly closed it.

The 1000-5 is so damn wide you'd probably gain some speed and mpg driving with windshield open for airflow vs closed.

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone drove 60mph plus for extended periods with SATV windshield open? I did briefly and heard some creaking and promptly closed it.

The 1000-5 is so damn wide you'd probably gain some speed and mpg driving with windshield open for airflow vs closed.

my pioneer hasn’t seen 60 plus since the test drive but I did forget to close the windshield when I loaded on trailer and drove 2hrs to the lake with it open. No issues 🤷🏻‍♂️

sarge160

sarge160

Feb 3, 2020
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 700-4
I tried the block of wood in the sun but it didn't help. It hasn't been very hot here yet so that could be the problem. SuperATV sent me thicker padding so that it would seal better, even with the bow, but it looks worse with a thick padding than the bow looks. They also said they'd credit me $75 and did so in the form of a store credit instead of crediting my card..?? I really like the windshield so I guess I'll keep it even though I realize that each time i see it closed and bowed it'll hit a nerve. I'd give the functionality of the windshield 10/10 but the fit and finish 4/10. Maybe the extreme bow in mine is a one off defect (my luck) but my advice to anyone ordering would be to check it when unboxing and make sure it's straight and lays flat against the bottom portion of the windshield.
Thanks to the member for all the info and advise. In my short time as a Pioneer owner this site has been invaluable.
Happy Trails...

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I tried the block of wood in the sun but it didn't help. It hasn't been very hot here yet so that could be the problem. SuperATV sent me thicker padding so that it would seal better, even with the bow, but it looks worse with a thick padding than the bow looks. They also said they'd credit me $75 and did so in the form of a store credit instead of crediting my card..?? I really like the windshield so I guess I'll keep it even though I realize that each time i see it closed and bowed it'll hit a nerve. I'd give the functionality of the windshield 10/10 but the fit and finish 4/10. Maybe the extreme bow in mine is a one off defect (my luck) but my advice to anyone ordering would be to check it when unboxing and make sure it's straight and lays flat against the bottom portion of the windshield.
Thanks to the member for all the info and advise. In my short time as a Pioneer owner this site has been invaluable.
Happy Trails...

Have you tried placing the block in the center of the windshield and placing tension on each end of the windshield in the opposite direction of the bow with bungee straps or something?

sarge160

sarge160

Feb 3, 2020
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yes, I placed the block of wood wrapped in a cloth in the center, tightened a strap around the windshield so the bowed sides of the windshield laid against the bottom section and left it sitting in the sun for a day. No luck but I will try again when the weather gets hotter and hope it works

Reactions: russknight
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!