P1000 Superwinch Terra 45SR mounting plate - straight pull?

Alphonse

Alphonse

Sep 10, 2018
LA (Lower Alabama)
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am planning to install a Superwinch Terra 45SR on my '18 P1k. It has a stock bumper and I am trying to get a straight pull without modifying the bumper. I've seen where folks modify the bumper by lowering the hawse mount opening in the bumper but I would like to avoid that. I also would not like to pull from the top of the reel.

The only mounting plate that I have found thus far to accomplish what I am after is the Extreme Metal Products (EMP) system.

Am I missing something? Are there other mounting plates that would get me:

1. A straight pull without modifying the location of the Hawse opening on the stock bumper.
2. Pulling from the bottom of the reel?

Superwinch Emp

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Not that I’m aware.. That’s why I went with the EMP. If I were doing it over.. I’d do a top mount winch bumper!

As would I. I like my EMP bumper but getting at the winch is a biatch ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp, JTW and BWAF
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Not that I’m aware.. That’s why I went with the EMP. If I were doing it over.. I’d do a top mount winch bumper!

Same here, Keep it up high, more user friendly location, and better pull

Reactions: sharp, JTW and BWAF
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Tell me a bit more. What do you mean getting to it? Do mean getting to the rotary selector for freewheel vs. engaged?

Exactly plus you cannot see the drum so it is difficult to monitor.

To get at the clutch you have to almost kneel down which is not fun when you are burried in a mud hole. I end up running the winch out rather than freespooling it at times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alphonse

Alphonse

Sep 10, 2018
LA (Lower Alabama)
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the downside of the EMP is getting to the clutch and also a visual on the drum due to the configuration.

So if one wants to stick with the stock bumper, maybe the winch with synthetic line isn't the best answer. Perhaps one should use a Terra 45 winch with the cable and the roller fairlead and a KFI mount. The roller fairlead eliminates the friction as compared to a synthetic rope over a hawse with a non-straight pull and the different mount lets you get to the clutch and gives you a better visual. ???

Reactions: sharp
Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the downside of the EMP is getting to the clutch and also a visual on the drum due to the configuration.

So if one wants to stick with the stock bumper, maybe the winch with synthetic line isn't the best answer. Perhaps one should use a Terra 45 winch with the cable and the roller fairlead and a KFI mount. The roller fairlead eliminates the friction as compared to a synthetic rope over a hawse with a non-straight pull and the different mount lets you get to the clutch and gives you a better visual. ???

I have the Terra 45SR with the KFI mount and it's also tough to get to the freespool. They are saying a top mount, bumper mount is the easiest to access for everything. I keep my hook on soft strap around the A pillar whenever I go offroad so I don't have to kneel into the mud and use my remote to run the rope out.

Alphonse

Alphonse

Sep 10, 2018
LA (Lower Alabama)
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Terra 45SR with the KFI mount . . . . . . . . . .
Thanks Fire for the response and yes a top mount bumper would be nice except for the price tag! I am trying to avoid that incremental cost at the moment.

With your KFI setup, do you reel on the top of the drum or the bottom?

Have you seen any ill effects of not having a straight pull with the KFI arrangement?

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks Fire for the response and yes a top mount bumper would be nice except for the price tag! I am trying to avoid that incremental cost at the moment.

Have you seen any ill effects of not having a straight pull with the KFI arrangement?
I’m curious about your preference to the line pulling off the bottom of the drum as opposed to the top. I couldn’t say right now which way mine is because I don’t believe I’ve paid attention to that. I’m going to be looking now. What is the benefit to pulling off the bottom??

Reactions: sharp
Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I reel in on the bottom and I have not had any problems. I have Terra 35s on both of our Rancher quads with KFI mounts as well. I use my Rancher to plow snow and I switch out the rope for a piece of webbing strap for that use. I would probably use a different setup on my Pioneer if I was going to put it through that use. My only complaint is the difficulty in getting to the spool and that would be the same on any winch mounted inside. It's less of an issue since I spent the $15 on a remote switch.

Alphonse

Alphonse

Sep 10, 2018
LA (Lower Alabama)
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m curious about your preference to the line pulling off the bottom of the drum as opposed to the top. I couldn’t say right now which way mine is because I don’t believe I’ve paid attention to that. I’m going to be looking now. What is the benefit to pulling off the bottom??
Puts less moment and therefore stress on the winch drum/body mount. This is why the manufacturers prefer you pull off the bottom of the drum vs. the top. With a drum full of rope, the problem gets ever more pronounced.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
that's what ive done to all my previous vehicles, not only gets it it where you can work it but out of all the mud and crap. they have universal atv hitches and winch mounts like that pretty cheap once and a while at harbor freight and just weld the receiver to the atv winch mount

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!