P1000 Switching to M/T Truck tires, from ITP Mayhem (pics)

BearWoods

BearWoods

Dec 14, 2018
East Stroudsburg, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Bought my P1k used, it came with 5+2 14" MSA M12 wheels, with ITP Mega Mayhem 28x9-14 fronts and 28x9-11 rears. Not suited for my usage, so they are coming off and will be for sale shortly.

I have hard packed soil, well used trails, grass, rocks, and snow to contend with. I wanted to find an LT tire for longer life expectancy and to provide the sort of grip I'm looking for with excellent road manners for the money.

Ordered 4 Kumho Road Venture M/T 27x8.5/14LT tires on wally world website for $98 a piece. Grabbed them quicker than your baby sitters boyfriend runs out of the house when your car pulls up. (They are out of stock now.)

Ordered Method MR401 Machined UTV Beadlock Wheel 14x7 4x136 38mm $94.50 a piece on Clearance.

I will post updated photos once the tires are mounted, and compare them to the old wheels on and off the machine. Both tires are described as M/T, though quite obviously take a much different approach. Here is a side by side look at current Vs. replacement tire, with 2 notable observations. ITP is not 28" tall, and Kumho is wider than the ITP despite being labelled otherwise.

See photos:

(Will update with pics and measurements when installed.)

DSC05828 DSC05830 DSC05836

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bought my P1k used, it came with 5+2 14" MSA M12 wheels, with ITP Mega Mayhem 28x9-14 fronts and 28x9-11 rears. Not suited for my usage, so they are coming off and will be for sale shortly.

I have hard packed soil, well used trails, grass, rocks, and snow to contend with. I wanted to find an LT tire for longer life expectancy and to provide the sort of grip I'm looking for with excellent road manners for the money.

Ordered 4 Kumho Road Venture M/T 27x8.5/14LT tires on wally world website for $98 a piece. Grabbed them quicker than your baby sitters boyfriend runs out of the house when your car pulls up. (They are out of stock now.)

Ordered Method MR401 Machined UTV Beadlock Wheel 14x7 4x136 38mm $94.50 a piece on Clearance.

I will post updated photos once the tires are mounted, and compare them to the old wheels on and off the machine. Both tires are described as M/T, though quite obviously take a much different approach. Here is a side by side look at current Vs. replacement tire, with 2 notable observations. ITP is not 28" tall, and Kumho is wider than the ITP despite being labelled otherwise.

See photos:

(Will update with pics and measurements when installed.)

View attachment 97801 View attachment 97802 View attachment 97803
Good buy on everything post some finished pics ! Those where one of the tires on my list !

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Remington
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didnt put truck tires on my machine because they are illegal for trail riding in Wi and Mn. I'm happy with DOT radial UTV tires because they are trail legal and have a great tread for hard packed trails and pavement. The tires are Quadboss QBT846.

BearWoods

BearWoods

Dec 14, 2018
East Stroudsburg, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I didnt put truck tires on my machine because they are illegal for trail riding in Wi and Mn. I'm happy with DOT radial UTV tires because they are trail legal and have a great tread for hard packed trails and pavement. The tires are Quadboss QBT846.

I liked these tires a lot, just couldn't get them at same price.. would definitely try them in the future.

I wonder why not allowed to use truck tires?

Reactions: BWAF
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These type tires are growing in popularity bigtime. I used to run Evos offroad and swap to stock bighorns for street use. With my terrabites i get best of both worlds. All tires mentioned in this post are very similar. I see guys losing sleep over deciding when its a waste of time imo. Best to let price decide.

BearWoods

BearWoods

Dec 14, 2018
East Stroudsburg, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was all about the terrabite, quad boss, and a few others for the tread pattern on them. It really did come down to price at the end of the day. I stumbled upon the set of 4 kumhos and ordered them hoping it wasn't a scam. I had previously placed an order for (10) ITP ultra cross R tires from walmart. After a month of calling customer service asking why they charged me for tires that never arrived, they finally told me there was a pricing error and they did not intend on selling me the tires. Why they couldn't just cancel my order and tell me that promptly.. I'm not sure.

So I am skeptical about "good deals" but occasionally they happen.

Now all we have to worry about are the big tire manufacturers figuring out that all sXs people want truck tires and doubling the price of "antiquated and cheap" 14" tires.

Reactions: BWAF and Cuoutdoors
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I liked these tires a lot, just couldn't get them at same price.. would definitely try them in the future.

I wonder why not allowed to use truck tires?

The DNR says only low pressure rated tires are allowed on ATV trails. The thought is that lower tire pressure reduces ground pressure and increases floatation so you tear up the trails less. Nobody puts truck tires on and runs them at 55psi on a UTV or you'd rattle your teeth out.

BearWoods

BearWoods

Dec 14, 2018
East Stroudsburg, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
the blue rig is tall!

I considered some more lift, but as of right now the LED bar on my roof is about 1" from hitting the garage door! doh.

loving all these truck tires.. seems to be the way to go for those of us that don't need to traverse the Florida everglades on a daily basis.

Reactions: BWAF and Cuoutdoors
D

DDDonkey

Looks good what size you go with

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

I went with 235/75R15 tires, I am also running a 2.5" bracket lift and that's it. As for the bucket pic, it only fits because I run 20psi on the street, when in the woods I drop the psi to 10 and the bucket does not fit.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
the blue rig is tall!

I considered some more lift, but as of right now the LED bar on my roof is about 1" from hitting the garage door! doh.

loving all these truck tires.. seems to be the way to go for those of us that don't need to traverse the Florida everglades on a daily basis.

For all around use as you described the truck tires are a great fit. It is a much smoother and more controlled ride at high speed on the roads. They are a good jack of all trades off road. It has gone everywhere I've needed to go. Mine are 235/75-15.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!