P500 SXS Beginner need some tips.

Reggi

Reggi

Apr 20, 2019
Baton Rouge, LA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi guys, First off I wanna say this forum is awesome great first impressions! To get to the point I'm Reggi, I'm 29 years old and I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The past couple weeks I've been doing a ton of research and I've came to the conclusion that I want a Honda P500. I've never owned a SxS or ATV or anything so this would be a first. Main thing is finding out which one and whats the actual price for it. I've seen some dealers online with prices like the 2015 ones same price as 2018 it's confusing. I couldn't purchase it now so I haven't gone in person yet don't wanna waste anyone's time. Just purchased a new car and depleted my savings so hopefully I can earn enough to buy it for my 30th birth day on Jan 12th because getting financed on my credit is impossible. So i'm looking to know how do I need to save up for it. I wouldn't mind buying a used one either but what year does the automatic transmission start? I don't know anything about the manual or shifting so i'd like automatic. Also doesnt it come with the winch or would i need to buy one? Thanks in advance.

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
Reggi,

You are off to a good start by doing research here.

You will find bias for 500s, 700s and 1000s so keep an open mind but stick to your guns because their is no wrong decision.
Each one has it's own advantage's and disadvantages dependent on what your needs and goals are.

Keep an eye out here, they do come up for sale once in a while.
I picked up a 2017 fresh out of the crate this past February at a decent discount compared to a 2019 and saved a couple grand.

Also, you don't HAVE to buy anything to take it home and ride it. You can add things over time (like a winch)

Good luck

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome! Do not test ride if you aren’t ready to purchase one! I sort of wanted a p500 and after the test ride that was all I could think about for 2 days before I went back and bought it. You need to buy a winch if you like mud,I haven’t needed one in 8,000 miles though.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome.
2017 was the first year with automatic. As said above, save slsome $ and look for a used one in good condition.

Most likley you will need to add a winch.

The 500 is a little goat. It's small size is a pro and a con. Its power is enough for that machine but many find it slow. Yet 40 mph top range is fast enough for most.

Well, dont be afraid to ask beginner questions. We will try to answer best we can.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
C

Chooglin

Welcome.
2017 was the first year with automatic. As said above, save slsome $ and look for a used one in good condition.

Most likley you will need to add a winch.

The 500 is a little goat. It's small size is a pro and a con. Its power is enough for that machine but many find it slow. Yet 40 mph top range is fast enough for most.

Well, dont be afraid to ask beginner questions. We will try to answer best we can.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I fixed it for you !

Reactions: Hondasxs
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This 500 I have is the 1st type of anything like this I've ever owned. It has been an amazing machine and quite the capable goat in all kinds of terrain! If you get a winch, don't get stuck in a Louisiana cane field. That stuff is like a sticky snowball. Every step you take! I have family in south central La. in and around New Iberia. When I'm there, I go metal detecting.
IMG 7923
IMG 7924
IMG 7925
IMG 7926

IMG 7994
Replace the stock tires too...
IMG 7998

Reggi

Reggi

Apr 20, 2019
Baton Rouge, LA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
oh wow lots of good info! @L2R Don't worry about that i cant afford a 700-1000 haha. And yes I like mud/water and i'm a newbie so ill surely get a winch then and other stuff (Why am i already putting mods on my list when i don't own it?) And @100Acre the only time i go into the cane field if to steal... i mean borrow some sugar cane when its ready to be harvested. But now that i think about it theres some good dirt roads all in there. Any of you guys every ride with your dogs? I'll be into that aswell. And if there anything you could do to make it street legal? Mostly neighborhood wise.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome to the forum..just in case you have not yet discovered the Search link at the top of the page, just type in a word and you can find a wealth of historical information as you research. Also scroll down on the home page for lots of subforums, including regional area rides. If you do test drive a 2017+, they shift harsh when new, but get better, search clutch adjustment as an easy fix after break-in. Heres a thread on differences on 2017+ automatic versus earlier years. P500 - Pioneer 500: 2016 vs 2017
And a winch (3500lb) is a recommended first priority, especially if you ever ride alone. If money is tight, my Harbour Freight one is working fine after many years. If you find a used SxS, feel free to ask buying advice, some sharp folks on here.

Last edited:
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
oh wow lots of good info! @L2R Don't worry about that i cant afford a 700-1000 haha. And yes I like mud/water and i'm a newbie so ill surely get a winch then and other stuff (Why am i already putting mods on my list when i don't own it?) And @100Acre the only time i go into the cane field if to steal... i mean borrow some sugar cane when its ready to be harvested. But now that i think about it theres some good dirt roads all in there. Any of you guys every ride with your dogs? I'll be into that aswell. And if there anything you could do to make it street legal? Mostly neighborhood wise.
My dog goes with me everywhere! If you want street legal then you'll need a horn, turn signals, license plate light and ??
IMG 1480
IMG 1572
IMG 1488

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
While you are saving up for one, I would offer the following tips:

1) Daily follow/track on craigslist/atv trader, etc., and see what P500's are selling for around you and within a distance you are willing to travel. During this "research period", you will see units come and go, and discover what a "great" price unit is....

2) Once you have the cash saved up and after 12 months of search and educated in price, be patience (continue to monitor those webpages and you will know a great deal) and with cash in hand, make the move quickly or it will be gone...

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
While you are saving up for one, I would offer the following tips:

1) Daily follow/track on craigslist/atv trader, etc., and see what P500's are selling for around you and within a distance you are willing to travel. During this "research period", you will see units come and go, and discover what a "great" price unit is....

2) Once you have the cash saved up and after 12 months of search and educated in price, be patience (continue to monitor those webpages and you will know a great deal) and with cash in hand, make the move quickly or it will be gone...
Very good buying advice for anything. Thumbs up.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: Mudder and trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!