SXS Honda Sport! What do u think it will have?

test

test

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2013
Test Account
Ownership

1. Talon R
I hope they keep the rincon trans, but add a low range. That would make it 6 speed.
Needs a front diff locker.
Long travel suspension.
Maybe power steering as a option.
What about rear, oil sealed, disk brakes.
3-link rear suspension.
Should be in the 800-900cc range.

What else would you like?
Leave your post below.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
How about a sport model with the Shadow's V-twin?

admin

admin

Your club! I just turn it on!
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
YES... Honda should bring out a V-twin. I think it would really change the game for them.

@BigRiver - Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum's.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
I don't know of the engineering involved, but as for the transmission aspect, I have the first year Rubicon, 2001 model. Transmission has been running strong, never a problem with the bike. Would be a benefit in my opinion to adapt this type of transmission onto this new V-twin engine that we're talking about.

C

catman

Mar 4, 2013
Howabout one of the newer inline twins turned sideways with the auto dual clutch setup in the 800-900cc range, such as the ncx streetbikes, that engine build looks to have an extremly low center of gravity,and would have to be mounted behind the cab, and throw in some paddle shifters, long travel suspension, and sleek new body style, COMMON HONDA GO FOR IT!!!!

Reactions: Dwight
ksss

ksss

Jul 14, 2013
I was a former long time Honda customer, I was forced to jump ship and buy a RZR (2011) when it appeared that Honda was not going to respond to the SXS sport market. I and countless others will certainly come back to Honda if they/you build a class leading product with Honda quality and reliability.

I believe some features that would make it class beating are.

Hondamatic type tranny. It would easily be the best transmission offered in a SXS.

I think you need to displace at least 700 cc. The Polaris 570 does everything the 800 does only with better mpg. Honda certainly can do the same with around 700 cc.

You need to offer a 50" option. Here is where innovation can lead the way. Make it field or at least garage expandable from 50-58 inches. One suggestion to get some of this easily is to use a rim that can be flipped and swapped from side to side to change the wheel offset much like skid steer loader rims are designed. While I am not an engineer by trade, certainly if this could be accomplished you would have what no one else does. A single machine that could adapt to different trail regulations and riding environments.

Quality lighting LED type.

Ground clearance: Offer a complete skid plate right from the factory, make sure you have at least 10" of ground clearance and run at least 26" tires.

Make it cab adaptable easily and inexpensively. Perhaps offer a Winter upfit package that covers the enclosure (that can easily be bolted on in its entirety or just portions of it). Offer it with a quality heater and defroster. Make the machine easy to upfit with winter tracks.

Power steering standard.

The ability to lock the front end diff.

Offer several performance modes. Such as Eco, touring and Sport (I am borrowing this from Sea Doo) works awesome on PWC's and could be as effective on a SXS.

Offer an innovative back compartment that can be upfitted as a dog kennel, or open storage or people mover.

Above all: Use quality components, bushings, shocks, frames. DO NOT HALF ASS THE BUILD QUALITY.

Read the RZR forums, its easy to see the problems with Polaris, it always revolves around the build quality and lack of quality components. The company has good ideas, just poor execution.

Build it right and the thousands of former Honda customers who bought sport SXS's because Honda would not build one will come back home.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ksss, you hit the head on the nail... or is it nail on the head. J/K. lol. Very nice wright up.
Thank your for posting and choosing Hondasxs.com

I was watching dirttrax the other night and 2 rzr's broke 2 axles during the same trip. They were not even in the mud, just cursing the trails and pop.
I love the Maverick, I have only seen 2 in the wild. both being towed or limping back home. lol.
Love the power the other guys bring but concerned there only focus is go fast, get there first, dont care if you make it back. lol.

Honda may not be the fastest cat on the block but it will sure get the job done and get you home.

ksss

ksss

Jul 14, 2013
Honda 4-wheelers have never been the fastest (speaking mainly of the trail units like the Rubicon and Rancher). I would routinely get spanked by Polaris 4 wheelers when I owned a Rubicon. While that is important to some, there are many and I would say by far the majority that just want a well built trail capable side by side. It needs to be fun to drive, but for the trail riding sect dependability and trail ability by far trump speed. I believe that even though Honda is half a decade behind this portion of the market, they still can take market share from Polaris. This is simply because Polaris has left the door wide open for a machine that is capable and dependable. I really hope that Honda listens, learns and fields a product that is worth putting Honda on the side of it.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
ksss said:
but for the trail riding sect dependability and trail ability by far trump speed. .
Nicely said. And I agree. You don't need 100hp to have a very fun, trail capable machine. All that extra HP is worthless if its a 2 hour haul back to the truck.
Again I agree, If Honda built such machine they could rule the market again.
I sure hope they are working on something.

ksss

ksss

Jul 14, 2013
Anyone hearing any word on if Honda will be releasing a RZR type sport SXS sometime soon?

admin

admin

Your club! I just turn it on!
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
ksss said:
Anyone hearing any word on if Honda will be releasing a RZR type sport SXS sometime soon?
na... rumors are staled out for the 2014 model year. New ones will start up around the 1st of the year as 2015 models start to leak out.

Honda does a great job keeping things on the down low. Leaks on the Pioneer only fell a few days before Honda's 2014 model year dealers meeting at which they introduced the Pioneer to some high level dealers. Even then they were not allowed to release info to the public until the official Honda Announcement a week later.

N

Natedog

Sep 22, 2013
ksss said:
I hope they release one. I have been waiting 5 years for one. I own a 1998 foreman 450 es the first year with the electric shift and the machine has been awesome no breakdowns. That is why I am waiting for the reliability of a Honda. My whole family has been Honda owners. My brother had a 250r three wheeler the one with the blue seat that thing was fast. He never had any problem with it I believe it was a 1984 model. Then my dad had a big red three wheeler. I rode the wheels off this thing no problems other than the gas tank rusting. It is still running, my brother has it for his kids to ride. He put a plastic tank on it. So that is why I am waiting I want it to last me for a very long time. I am getting my son a Polaris razor 170 for Christmas just because I can't wait for him. He is 7 and it is time for him to have his own machine and this thing looks really safe. But it's not a Honda wish it was. :D

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Natedog,
Welcome to the HondaSxS community.
I too sure hope they release one in the coming years. So far the talk has only been on the utility version. But I'm sure Honda is working on one somewhere... They just got to perfect it.
Thanks.

B

Bfree

Sep 20, 2013
IM on my 2nd RZR, the 1st was an 08 50" std rzr. At about 20 hrs and no hard running the tranny blew up literally, after about 4 mos of arguing w/the stealership and Polaris they finally agreed to replace it. I kept that one for about 2 more yrs, I sold it and bought the RZR 4. I put a 3" CATVOS lift on it and after 3 new front diffs, I finally chunked the lift and haven't had any probs since. As far as the belt system goes, if you keep it stock you shouldn't have any probs its once your start adding aftermarket tires then it'll eat those belts and you then you'll have to add a better clutch system. As far as axles Ive got 1200 miles on my OEMs and Ive only had to rebuild 1 inner axle but it was self induced.
Why all this info, well like said above a true quality build w/an automotive style tranny and a HO engine and HONDA would be on to something. Build it strong enough up front so when the aftermarket guys get ahold of it (and they will) it stays together.
BTW, ID love to see a 2 seater sport model w/at least an 800-1000cc V-twin, long travel suspension and a automotive style tranny, also add a LOW RANGE for those of us that like to mud ride, and a 4th gear for some top end speed.

C

clynwoodg

Oct 18, 2013
50"-60" wide

The DCT transmission with paddle shifters.

Standard EPS

Locking front diff

A 700 - 800 cc V-twin engine.

Easy build for Honda. I will place my order tomorrow if they would build it.

R

rlthomas

Oct 6, 2013
If I was a betting man I'd say with the 500 getting paddle shifters Honda is going to make thier sport sxs(if there is ever going to be one) get the same type of transmission the Rubicon has. it will be the best of both worlds. Only time will I would love to see a 800 to a 1000cc machine but I want to buy something that only requires gas, and regular maintenance. I don't need to run 70 like some machines will do but I think if they could get it to hit high 50 mph. That would be get.

chancesemar89

chancesemar89

Apr 3, 2014
louisiana
I was not on here for a while due to work. I recently saw the pioneer 500 online and watch videos. all i can say is wow. I mean, i am a honda guy thats all i ever rode but after seeing this its like really . fender clearance in the front is stupid then you look at the back and its like what the heck is this half a atv. sorry to say if i was going to go with a 50 inch wide machine they do have to rzr 570. Sad to say I believe honda is behind in the market, for some reason. looks like they dont even care about pleasing there customers anymore. yes they had lawsuits. Come on Honda dominated the powersports industry in the 80's 90's even in the early 2000's. i saw the 2015 rincon was not changed at all not even a 5 speed tranny, or a low gear or graphic work . come on not even a v twin or a inline twin. if honda wants to keep me as a customer they need to get with the times. even small changes will make the biggest difference. i will name a few.
Rincon-- put a low gear or atleast a inline twin 700 , same goes for the pioneer 700
Pioneer- 500 good enough for my daughter, the weight of the machine seems heavy for that engine.
Foreman 500- they have a rubicon 500 put the foreman at 600 cc with the choice of either rear straight ax. or rear irs. m-shift or e-shift
all other hondas ar fine to me
now time for the sport model.
lets say its called the
Honda pioneer sport _____ cc-- i would love to see a 2 seater and 4 seater model with 850- 950 cc with 70-90 hp. inline twin cause of there engine design. 5 speed tanny automatic with a low or slap/paddle shifter. dif lock 10"-12" s-travel with 12-14 inches of ground clearance stock with 27inch tires. in dash radio . led lights under the dash.

R

Ridered

Oct 3, 2013
while I'm waiting I'm looking at the 3 top of the line 4 seat SXS's

B

bigDhonda

Oct 21, 2014
I was told that there is a new model coming but couldn't get any more info about it. I also have been told that there will only be 1 tranny now and it will be the Rincon tranny dual clutch type no more hydrostat

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!