Talon Tablet as GPS without Cell Capability

Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
Maybe a dumb question, but here goes.

I have a 4 year old Samsung tablet laying around that doesn't get used. I thought it would be great to use it in the Talon as a GPS. This tablet does not have cell capability, only wifi. Can it be used as a GPS? Do I need a specific app?

Thanks!

Cobweb

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
You may be able to use it. Technically speaking, GPS does not require a cell or internet connection to function but it will be dependent on the hardware you have.

I have a Samsung tablet mounted in my R that I often use where there is no internet. Google Maps allows you to download maps when you have internet so you can use Maps while there is no internet. Google Maps works fine without an internet connection BUT...
  • Searches do not work well. You can search main points like cities/streets but not businesses or "find me a restaurant" type search.
  • Travel times will not calculate well (if at all) because it doesn't have traffic data.
It will show any of your saved spots (pin drops) and other things like that.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon x4
As long as it has a gps chip you should be good. Most trails I ride don't have cell service anyway. GAIA and Oruxmaps are good apps for running offline. They will show you were you are on a map and also track where you have been to make it easier to get back. If you want trails to show you generally need to pay for something like Lifetime trail maps.

rbtnt

rbtnt

Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Talon X
I use a Tab A without cell service. I tried several apps and like Oruxmaps app with Bob's trail maps of WV. Used them at Hatfield this year and they had all the trails on them that I needed. I also run my music app(bluetooth to stereo) on the Tab A and can run it in split mode if I want with Oruxmaps on half and rear camera on the other half. I usually run Oruxmaps full screen though.

Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for all the great info. I'll have to see if the tablet has built in GPS this weekend and start playing around with apps and mounting. Heading to Hatfield McCoy on Thursday, but won't solve mounting before then.

Reactions: Squeegee
G

gtsum2

Apr 28, 2019
Moseley
I’ve been using Samsung tablets with bobT maps and orux for years. They work fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

J

JTW

FYI..
If it supports gps... the easiest and fastest way to get up and going is with Lifetime trail maps.

If it doesn’t $150 on amazon will buy you a Tab A that does.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
You can also check your local Best Buy for open box deals. I've seen the smaller Samsung tablets for around $100.

Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
So the Samsung Tab 4 that I have does have GPS and I was able to get everything up and running with BobT's maps and Back Country Navigator. Thanks to all for the helpful advice. Now that I got it figured out, I believe the tablet I have is too large for my liking. It's a 10 inch. I was looking at Amazon and see a few 8 inch Tab A for very reasonable prices and may go that route.

Thanks again.

J

JTW

So the Samsung Tab 4 that I have does have GPS and I was able to get everything up and running with BobT's maps and Back Country Navigator. Thanks to all for the helpful advice. Now that I got it figured out, I believe the tablet I have is too large for my liking. It's a 10 inch. I was looking at Amazon and see a few 8 inch Tab A for very reasonable prices and may go that route.

Thanks again.
The 8” is about right...

Reactions: stellarpod
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
The 8” is about right...

I agree with JTW. I use an 8" Tab A, after first purchasing a 10" only to find that it was too big. I've been extremely pleased with this setup, using the GAIA mapping app.

Steve

Reactions: JTW
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I also use an 8" Tab A, works perfect for maps and its not to big. I went with a Ram mount for it which also works great.

Reactions: TripleB
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Here are a few shots showing my 8" Tab A mounted in the Talon, along with shots of the mounting system.

20190818 212855

20190818 212950

20190818 212702

Here are links to each of the components that I used:
Steve

Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here are a few shots showing my 8" Tab A mounted in the Talon, along with shots of the mounting system.

View attachment 165522

View attachment 165523

View attachment 165524

Here are links to each of the components that I used:
Steve
Steve,
That looks like a great solution. Two Questions:
Does your passenger have any issues with the tablet interfering with the grab bar?
How waterproof is the tablet case? I'm in Western PA where it's always muddy.

Thanks!!

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Steve,
That looks like a great solution. Two Questions:
Does your passenger have any issues with the tablet interfering with the grab bar?
How waterproof is the tablet case? I'm in Western PA where it's always muddy.

Thanks!!

The tablet absolutely does NOT interfere with the usage of the grab handle. My wife and I had concern about that initially, but I'm happy to report that she had no issues whatsoever. Regarding the case being "waterproof"; no, I wouldn't call it waterproof, but I would say that it seems to be pretty protective, with a cover over the screen (does not seem to inhibit touch-control at all). As you can tell from my photos, we run a flip-up windshield, so would have it shut during inclement weather. I do feel like it affords an adequate measure of protection for our use. I don't think casual splashes/spray would be an issue, but, if I saw it getting drenched I'd immediately look for a temporary solution to get it out of harms way.

My only real concern is how long the holder will stand up. I'm not concerned about the RAM mount, as their stuff is built pretty bulletproof. The iBolt TabDock Mount seems less robust, but so far has worked well. Notice that I've got a piece of closed cell foam on one of my switch covers on the dash plate, which the corner of the tablet case rides against. This protects the case (and switch cover) and steadies the whole affair somewhat.

MOST IMPORTANT (at least for me): Mounting the tablet high up on the roll cage was my first thought. But, upon positioning it there, I found that it was difficult for me to read, as it's so close that I need to be into my bifocals. And bifocals are, of course, on the bottom of your glasses lenses, thereby requiring you to crane your neck upward in order to bring them into your line of sight for an elevated tablet position. Mounting the tablet where I've shown eliminates this issue altogether and allows me to [somewhat] keep my eyes on the road too. This, of course, may not be an issue if you don't have 64-year old eyes. ;)

Steve

Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
The tablet absolutely does NOT interfere with the usage of the grab handle. My wife and I had concern about that initially, but I'm happy to report that she had no issues whatsoever. Regarding the case being "waterproof"; no, I wouldn't call it waterproof, but I would say that it seems to be pretty protective, with a cover over the screen (does not seem to inhibit touch-control at all). As you can tell from my photos, we run a flip-up windshield, so would have it shut during inclement weather. I do feel like it affords an adequate measure of protection for our use. I don't think casual splashes/spray would be an issue, but, if I saw it getting drenched I'd immediately look for a temporary solution to get it out of harms way.

My only real concern is how long the holder will stand up. I'm not concerned about the RAM mount, as their stuff is built pretty bulletproof. The iBolt TabDock Mount seems less robust, but so far has worked well. Notice that I've got a piece of closed cell foam on one of my switch covers on the dash plate, which the corner of the tablet case rides against. This protects the case (and switch cover) and steadies the whole affair somewhat.

MOST IMPORTANT (at least for me): Mounting the tablet high up on the roll cage was my first thought. But, upon positioning it there, I found that it was difficult for me to read, as it's so close that I need to be into my bifocals. And bifocals are, of course, on the bottom of your glasses lenses, thereby requiring you to crane your neck upward in order to bring them into your line of sight for an elevated tablet position. Mounting the tablet where I've shown eliminates this issue altogether and allows me to [somewhat] keep my eyes on the road too. This, of course, may not be an issue if you don't have 64-year old eyes. ;)

Steve

Thanks again Steve. Very valuable info.

B

bionicman

Oct 19, 2019
seattle
Ownership

1. Talon X
REVER.co I use exclusively off grid its a very powerful tool as online you can setup a track on ATV trails via GOOGLE earth vs other apps that allow only roads o be mapped you can follow deer trails!

download maps to phone locally for off grid locations a large memory phone is recommended

AVENZA app is another powerful off grid option if you download maps to phone

I wont go into massive detail but use IPHONE not ANDROID phones for off grid navigation
Iphone uses an organic GPS signal
Android utilizes a a-GPS or assisted setup do your research for the pros/cons of both systems - end of the day use IPHONE Apple product

regardless if you have cell signal or not all GPS enabled phones always know your location..

Reactions: Kilo427
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
REVER.co I use exclusively off grid its a very powerful tool as online you can setup a track on ATV trails via GOOGLE earth vs other apps that allow only roads o be mapped you can follow deer trails!

download maps to phone locally for off grid locations a large memory phone is recommended

AVENZA app is another powerful off grid option if you download maps to phone

I wont go into massive detail but use IPHONE not ANDROID phones for off grid navigation
Iphone uses an organic GPS signal
Android utilizes a a-GPS or assisted setup do your research for the pros/cons of both systems - end of the day use IPHONE Apple product

regardless if you have cell signal or not all GPS enabled phones always know your location..

I believe most of us prefer a small tablet for nav, rather than a phone. I don't know about iPhones, but the Apple iPad has no GPS capability off-grid and is therefore not a viable candidate. After pretty thorough research I selected the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8". I suspect that a poll of users on this forum would indicate that the Samsung tablets far outnumber the iPads in use (although I have no data to prove that). An easy way to determine whether your device will actually track you while out of cell service is to put it into Airplane mode (which kills all wifi, Bluetooth, cell connectivity). If you have autonomous GPS service it will still track. I also use an app called GPS Test which actively monitors GPS satellite connectivity, to further validate proper GPS reception.

I prefer Gaia GPS mapping software, as it has a thorough library of map styles including (but not limited to) the following:
  • USGS Topo
  • USGS National Map
  • OpenStreetMap
  • NatGeo Trails Illustrated
  • Mapquest Satellite
  • Shaded Relief Topo
  • USFS Forest Roads
  • USFS Topo Map
  • Wildfire burn area maps
  • Wilderness Area maps
...and countless others.

Any or all of these can be layered with adjustable transparency to provide an almost infinite variety of map data at a glance. It will also allow you to import other maps. In fact, I routinely import GoogleEarth map segments for the areas that I intend to travel. And, of course, it will track your travel (and save it if you prefer), keeping a record of all pertinent statistical info including distance, average speed, max speed, elevation change, etc.

I have Avenza, AllTrails and Ride Command loaded as well, but none of them offer as much as Gaia in my opinion.

Steve

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!