P500 Tallest tires for 2021 Pioneer on factory rims

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I got a 2021 500 supposedly on its way and want to change the tires.
I will be using it in Gumbo Mud and in rice fields and am wanting the tallest tires with the best tread I can use for the Purpose, Probably a self cleaning agri tractor type tread.And I am thinking a bias tire will do for my purpose.

I dont want the tires to rub the Machine
What are the tallest tires I can buy that will not rub ?

Also from what I understand as you go higher you probable want to go wider as well and that some people use spacers.
Does the use of spacers do any harm to the machine ?Undue stresses etc ?
If not where is a good place to buy them ?

Also I want a tire that will not be too much for the 500 to handle from the factory (no gear reductions,no Portals ) and bog down in the Gumbo.

I have also read that some grind the frame to keep tires from rubbing,is that safe to do,does it make it weaker etc ?
If NOT I would have no problem doing so with an angle grinder.

Should I be looking at getting a different size for the front tires or would using the same size tires all around be better for going in the mud ?

Thanks

Reactions: Snek
LilRedDonkey

LilRedDonkey

Feb 25, 2021
cheesyland
Ownership

1. 500
tall as you think you need. kenda executioner
51NF4EPU rL AC SL1000

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I will be using it in Gumbo Mud and in rice fields and am wanting the tallest tires with the best tread I can use for the Purpose, Probably a self cleaning agri tractor type tread.And I am thinking a bias tire will do for my purpose.

Also from what I understand as you go higher you probable want to go wider as well and that some people use spacers.

Also I want a tire that will not be too much for the 500 to handle from the factory (no gear reductions,no Portals ) and bog down in the Gumbo.

I have also read that some grind the frame to keep tires from rubbing,is that safe to do,does it make it weaker etc ?

Should I be looking at getting a different size for the front tires or would using the same size tires all around be better for going in the mud ?

Thanks

The tallest tire you can run on a P500/P520 without modification or rubbing on OEM wheels is approximately 27" tall. Tires larger that that will rub the frame that can be trimmed back to go slightly larger. Also the width of tire on OEM rims can be an issue as the front wheel is only 6" wide with 30mm (1.25" approx) offset. Wider offset wheel 5+2 or 4+3 gives more room for bigger (wider) tires due to the offset to allow for full lock turning. Hope this helps and good luck getting what you want.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
There are a lot of "it depends".

It depends on:
-tire height
-width
-profile (rounded vs flat/truck style)
-spacer size
-wheel off set if you were to run aftermarket
-whether the newer 500s come with the fender liner like the 520s do (takes up space)

In your case, wanting to run stock wheels with an ag-type tire, I wouldn't go over a narrow 27" (true size). Maybe a 28" if you're ok with trimming the frame rail for clearance.

As you mentioned, you're going to want a spacer to widen it out so it isn't unsafe to drive. If I were you, I'd get the tires of your choice mounted, then turn the wheels and measure for my spacer size, trying to land somewhere between the inner and rear fender walls. With no spacer, they will probably rub the inner wall. With too much spacer, it might rub the back wall.

TLDR: Buy a skinny 27" and an appropriate spacer and you 'should' be fine.

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thought of a few More questions

I see some places list all their tires as ATV tires,some List as ATV/UTV tires and some List as UTV tires.
what terminology do I need to be looking for before Buying some tires ?

When yall recommend a skinny 27 I am not sure what you are talking about "skinny "are you talking a 8 inch wide tire or a 9 inch wide tire as being skinny ?

If 8 or 9 inches wide is what you are calling skinny, Then using a 27x8x12 or 27x9 all the way around and using spacers only on the back or using spacers front and back?

Thanks

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Front and back. If you go with taller tires on stock wheels you'll want to spread the stance. All of us went into it wanting to stay at 50" and add ground clearance but it'll be tippier than it is already. Adding a couple inches to the spread will make it far more capable. 9's are skinny's.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Thought of a few More questions

I see some places list all their tires as ATV tires,some List as ATV/UTV tires and some List as UTV tires.
what terminology do I need to be looking for before Buying some tires ?

When yall recommend a skinny 27 I am not sure what you are talking about "skinny "are you talking a 8 inch wide tire or a 9 inch wide tire as being skinny ?

If 8 or 9 inches wide is what you are calling skinny, Then using a 27x8x12 or 27x9 all the way around and using spacers only on the back or using spacers front and back?

Thanks
There might be a difference in ATV/UTV tires, but I can't think of what that might be besides weight rating.

If you're sticking with stock wheels, then you're going to be a bit limited on how wide of a tire you can run. I don't have the exact specs in front of me.

The width, height, and offset really only matters on the front due to turning. A lot of guys run a narrower front tire and a wider rear tire for floatation. So, you could potentially run a 9" front and an 11" rear, and then choose your spacers (front and back) based on that. Or, you could also run 9s all around if you choose and might have to run a slightly larger rear spacer. I think the factory wheels are different widths between the front and rear, so keep that in mind.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

Thanks
Not sure what the tallest tire is you can buy that wont rub. On the 2016 P5 I had, I went from stocks to 30x10x14 Monster Mayhems. I bought 4 matching width and offset wheels. Didnt use spacers, but I think a lot of people put like 1" spacers on the back to bring the rear wheels out to where they run in the same tracks as the front. I did the frame mod on mine. There is plenty of examples on here of frame mods on P5s, but I'll attach my crappy YouTube vid to this thread so you can see its a little more involved than just grinding. Still, its pretty simple. The 30s rubbed before the frame mod, but had about an inch or so of clearance after. No lift at all. The P5 has a hella low 1st gear and I kept it in that in the thick stuff. I also took off the sway bar as a lot of people do. I also bought the Torq Locker front diff lock. If they are still available it is a must. I didnt really see the need to go wider even with 30s on there. It never felt sketchy to me. There is some people on here though that felt the need. Hope that answered atleast a couple questions.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Front and back. If you go with taller tires on stock wheels you'll want to spread the stance. All of us went into it wanting to stay at 50" and add ground clearance but it'll be tippier than it is already. Adding a couple inches to the spread will make it far more capable. 9's are skinny's.
Thank you

Reactions: Smitty335
B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
There might be a difference in ATV/UTV tires, but I can't think of what that might be besides weight rating.

If you're sticking with stock wheels, then you're going to be a bit limited on how wide of a tire you can run. I don't have the exact specs in front of me.

The width, height, and offset really only matters on the front due to turning. A lot of guys run a narrower front tire and a wider rear tire for floatation. So, you could potentially run a 9" front and an 11" rear, and then choose your spacers (front and back) based on that. Or, you could also run 9s all around if you choose and might have to run a slightly larger rear spacer. I think the factory wheels are different widths between the front and rear, so keep that in mind.

Here is something that I found about the specs

I found this about the specs

I found this concerning the specs

Thanks

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The tallest tire you can run on a P500/P520 without modification or rubbing on OEM wheels is approximately 27" tall. Tires larger that that will rub the frame that can be trimmed back to go slightly larger. Also the width of tire on OEM rims can be an issue as the front wheel is only 6" wide with 30mm (1.25" approx) offset. Wider offset wheel 5+2 or 4+3 gives more room for bigger (wider) tires due to the offset to allow for full lock turning. Hope this helps and good luck getting what you want.
Thanks

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
There are a lot of "it depends".

It depends on:
-tire height
-width
-profile (rounded vs flat/truck style)
-spacer size
-wheel off set if you were to run aftermarket
-whether the newer 500s come with the fender liner like the 520s do (takes up space)

In your case, wanting to run stock wheels with an ag-type tire, I wouldn't go over a narrow 27" (true size). Maybe a 28" if you're ok with trimming the frame rail for clearance.

As you mentioned, you're going to want a spacer to widen it out so it isn't unsafe to drive. If I were you, I'd get the tires of your choice mounted, then turn the wheels and measure for my spacer size, trying to land somewhere between the inner and rear fender walls. With no spacer, they will probably rub the inner wall. With too much spacer, it might rub the back wall.

TLDR: Buy a skinny 27" and an appropriate spacer and you 'should' be fine.
Thanks

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Not sure what the tallest tire is you can buy that wont rub. On the 2016 P5 I had, I went from stocks to 30x10x14 Monster Mayhems. I bought 4 matching width and offset wheels. Didnt use spacers, but I think a lot of people put like 1" spacers on the back to bring the rear wheels out to where they run in the same tracks as the front. I did the frame mod on mine. There is plenty of examples on here of frame mods on P5s, but I'll attach my crappy YouTube vid to this thread so you can see its a little more involved than just grinding. Still, its pretty simple. The 30s rubbed before the frame mod, but had about an inch or so of clearance after. No lift at all. The P5 has a hella low 1st gear and I kept it in that in the thick stuff. I also took off the sway bar as a lot of people do. I also bought the Torq Locker front diff lock. If they are still available it is a must. I didnt really see the need to go wider even with 30s on there. It never felt sketchy to me. There is some people on here though that felt the need. Hope that answered atleast a couple questions.
Thanks for the video
Did d the 30 x 10 monster mayhems bog the machine down ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bastardchild
B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
thanks

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!