Talon Clutch Install

H

HondaTech

Doing my first Talon clutch replacement (2nd time for shop) wanted to share some thoughts.

At first it appears to be a somewhat intimidating job, but its actually not as bad as it appears. The whole thing can be done in frame by removing the rear differential. On an "R" you'll also have to remove the left side 4+ link to get the oil tank out. If you do take this arm off you can do a full clean like on a Pioneer by removing the rear engine spacer to clean everything out. Other than these few extra steps the rest is just like a Pioneer.

Also if you have any bad axles lying around, remove the outer joint and save the half of the part that inserts into the hub. If you ever have the machine apart and need to leave the axles out you can use this stub to reattach the wheels and roll the unit around instead of it sitting in 1 place. The same part works for all 4 hubs.

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

Hey @HondaTech if this is the 2nd one in the shop it sounds like it takes special skills to kill a clutch.
Any insight as to how to achieve this feat?

Asking for a friend.

Anytime the engine is reving but the wheels arent turning something has to slip.

Never use the throttle to hold your unit on a hill, treat it like a manual car. If you see an obstacle dont creep you have to go for it.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Can I put a talon clutch in my pioneer 1000 as an upgrade?
It has been said that it can be done. The inner and outer main shafts and the clutch guides are the same between the two. The parts that have different part numbers are the 2 clutch assemblies and the primary driven gear that the clutch assemblies slip on...

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Damn I thought it was pretty sweet. I tried the Pioneer wheely and just got a f***in sweet burn out.
Punch the throttle, jump on breaks and hit throttle again. But doesn’t do it on aftermarket shocks😞

Reactions: Smitty335
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've got fox shocks and still do it. Maybe it's easier in the 3 seat
I think mine are sprung too harsh. Can’t get the weight transfer anymore

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Makes sense. Mine are far to soft for the load. I need to respring. I'm out of preload.
I had to do that to my R, two spares were too much for the stock tender springs, squished 'em dead with full preload (ran out of threads on the shock body).

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I tripped across this video today and thought it showed a lot of useful information. The guy is a bit hyper, like 2 quarts of coffee hyper and he runs around with the camera but still useful info for me realizing that there may be a clutch replacement in my future. He's not a Honda tech and skipped a lot of service manual busy work that may cause problems or may not (like not removing the oil tank and filter housing). The important point to me - I think I could do this whereas before, I didn't.

H

HondaTech

I tripped across this video today and thought it showed a lot of useful information. The guy is a bit hyper, like 2 quarts of coffee hyper and he runs around with the camera but still useful info for me realizing that there may be a clutch replacement in my future. He's not a Honda tech and skipped a lot of service manual busy work that may cause problems or may not (like not removing the oil tank and filter housing). The important point to me - I think I could do this whereas before, I didn't.

Its apparent that several clutch installs have been done this way without the gear being loaded and hasnt caused any issues thay we know of.

As someone who's performing this service on customer units, I wouldn't install a clutch without the gear being loaded.

Removing the oil tank and rear cover not only allows you set this gear, but the amount of debris that ends up in the oil tank needs to be cleaned out whenever the clutch is damaged.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Its apparent that several clutch installs have been done this way without the gear being loaded and hasnt caused any issues thay we know of.

As someone who's performing this service on customer units, I wouldn't install a clutch without the gear being loaded.

Removing the oil tank and rear cover not only allows you set this gear, but the amount of debris that ends up in the oil tank needs to be cleaned out whenever the clutch is damaged.
Thanks, HT, I hoped you'd give us your thoughts on this. 👍

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Wonder what he was talking about when he said "belts are dead, wait until you see what Can-Am is coming out with next".

They going to use a real transmission and clutch setup in the future? 🤔

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Wonder what he was talking about when he said "belts are dead, wait until you see what Can-Am is coming out with next".

Not gonna lie....... If Can-Am went to a real transmission and clutch setup I'd probably take a serious look at one for a future race car build.

H

HondaTech

Theres been talk of them debuting a DCT forever. Im convinced its all BS. They just put the P clutch on the X3 for 22.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!