• Thread starter LincolnSixAlpha
  • Start date
L

LincolnSixAlpha

Feb 3, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm wondering if anyone else is having an issue where the rear CV boot keeps slipping off of the axle housing? To make note, I'm on a brand new set of Rhino 2.0 axles, and the right rear axle has been replaced twice from the mfg. It's appearing to me as if the diff is getting very hot, and thus causing the grease in there to liquefy and push out under the boot and seal. I noticed this on the OEM axles, and just figured they were junk. That's why they were replaced with the Rhino 2.0's. I would actually see grease spurts on the OEM axles shooting out from underneath the boot. On these Rhino's the whole dam boot comes off! Getting sick of this. And it just started out of nowhere, like out the blue. I've even changed the rear diff oil thinking that it was low and getting hot. Happened to the first Rhino axle at about 30 miles, this is the brand new replacement of a brand new axle and I cant even get 5 miles before the damn thing comes off.

IMG 1458

H

HondaTech

Cant say ive ever seen either scenario unless the clamp was installed incorrectly. That includes both axle brands.

Id go oem over Rhino any day. Never broken a stock axle in 2 seasons of XC racing except for when a tree jumps out in front of the car.

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Is your suspension stock? Lifted? Ride height cranked up?

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did you fill with oil to the proper mark? If you filled to the top plug it is overfilled. Should be filled to the middle plug and drained with the bottom plug.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'm wondering if anyone else is having an issue where the rear CV boot keeps slipping off of the axle housing? To make note, I'm on a brand new set of Rhino 2.0 axles, and the right rear axle has been replaced twice from the mfg. It's appearing to me as if the diff is getting very hot, and thus causing the grease in there to liquefy and push out under the boot and seal. I noticed this on the OEM axles, and just figured they were junk. That's why they were replaced with the Rhino 2.0's. I would actually see grease spurts on the OEM axles shooting out from underneath the boot. On these Rhino's the whole dam boot comes off! Getting sick of this. And it just started out of nowhere, like out the blue. I've even changed the rear diff oil thinking that it was low and getting hot. Happened to the first Rhino axle at about 30 miles, this is the brand new replacement of a brand new axle and I cant even get 5 miles before the damn thing comes off.

View attachment 299149
When you change out or put a new clamp on, you NEED to make sure the boot and the clamping surface is completely dry before you can successfully get the clamp on to stay. The OEM axels are good, But When mine went out on my pioneer , i got the @SuperATV Rhino 2.0’s they've been very good and imo a bit more robust and stronger. Now you said “diff” getting hot. Are you referring to the actual diff or the axel barring assembly? The grease in the axel assembly is a special grease that will get hot to a point, you cant use just any grease cuz it Nd your axel will fail.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Rear diff on mine runs quite warm- don't want to hold my hand on it for more than a couple of seconds. If yours isn't cooking a gl5 type oil it may not be your problem. Making sure it's clean and dry as noted above, oil resistant silicone sealer (acts like glue as well as seals), properly seated and a worm gear clamp would be my next step

Reactions: CID
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
On my first talon the cv grease was escaping and i put worm gear clamps over top of the factory clamps and put about 15000 miles on it that way, no more problems

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Hmm....I have seen this happen before, but never could figure out exactly why. I assumed there was some grease on the boot before the clamp was on there. Could also be the location of the boot/clamp on the CV/or shaft...like too far one direction and getting yanked off at full drop. Should be an easy fix, and I don't mind having my guys shoot you a new boot. Like @Remington said, make sure that area is super clean and dry before adding the clamp. Give us a call at 855-743-3427 with your order info and tell them you spoke with Erik the forum dude. They'll grab me if they need too. We'll get you fixed up.

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Had boot leaking grease out around the seals on the stock rear axles. Went to the rhino 2.0 to get rid of the popping. Neither have ever lost a clamp.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I have the Rhino 2.0 axels in the rear of my Talon and on all 4 corners of my YXZ. I have zero complaints with them and zero issues so far!!

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just a low percentage thing to check if nothing else corrects the problem. Is the vent line blocked? I was an industrial mechanic for 31 years. A person with knowledge was going around and plugging the vent hole on top of small pumps. Each time the pump heated up inside, the expanding air inside would force oil out of the constant level oiler. Eventually the oiler would be empty. Is it possible that your diff vent is blocked, and heating up enough to push the boot off.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!