Talon Talon Demo Event in Utah, March 2019

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
Lots of new footage coming in from the Honda Demo Event in Utah! Makes me want to vacation and ride there.

Oh, AND buy a Talon! ;)

Reactions: Xp100 and sharp
DaveM47

DaveM47

Feb 26, 2019
Helena MT
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Lots of new footage coming in from the Honda Demo Event in Utah! Makes me want to vacation and ride there.

Oh, AND buy a Talon! ;)

Thanks so much for the great demo discussion, Im so glad I put a down payment on the X, should be in sometime in April.

Reactions: sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I scanned the video to see if I spotted anyone I knew...

@Hondasxs - Question...
Are you like a celebrity out there? Do the other bloggers/youtubers know Hondasxs.com or who you are?
He is probably the asshole that stole Honda's thunder releasing the pictures early.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
He is probably the asshole that stole Honda's thunder releasing the pictures early.
I got to sit in an X & R this morning, the X is very nice and the R is incredible. I got a close look at the A arm brackets and trailing arm brackets, there a lot thicker than the pictures looked like, the frame looks to be a lot stronger than the Pioneers, oil change and air cleaner replacement will be a snap, cock pit was a little low for me, but at 5 foot 6 inches things are usually a little low or high, HA! As far as extra room for switches on the dash panel, didn't see any place, think some one will come up with an overhead console for switch panels. The stock skid plate is a lot better than the Pioneers, but, I would feel better having a real skid plate, gone is the honey comb stick catchers in the front wheel wells, the owner of the dealer ship told me a customer that's in line to buy to buy one of the first Talons came in yesterday and they bolted up some 30 inch tires to check clearance and they fit with no issues, he said 32's probably have issues. @JACKAL The bed area is comparatively small compared to a P1, a smaller ice chest and my grill will fit though! Don't know where you would put a spare, unless you mounted it up high, (bad idea as far as I'm concerned). They have moved most of the weight to the back of the machine, including battery. I think Honda has hit a home run in the Sport S x S market! This is no replacement for our P1, because we use it for more than trail ridding, so it's a trade off? I asked Greg the owner of the dealership what he thought sales would be like on the P1's in the future, he replied strong. There is no other S x S's on the market like the P7-4 and the P1-5 with that wheel base.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I got to sit in an X & R this morning, the X is very nice and the R is incredible. I got a close look at the A arm brackets and trailing arm brackets, there a lot thicker than the pictures looked like, the frame looks to be a lot stronger than the Pioneers, oil change and air cleaner replacement will be a snap, cock pit was a little low for me, but at 5 foot 6 inches things are usually a little low or high, HA! As far as extra room for switches on the dash panel, didn't see any place, think some one will come up with an overhead console for switch panels. The stock skid plate is a lot better than the Pioneers, but, I would feel better having a real skid plate, gone is the honey comb stick catchers in the front wheel wells, the owner of the dealer ship told me a customer that's in line to buy to buy one of the first Talons came in yesterday and they bolted up some 30 inch tires to check clearance and they fit with no issues, he said 32's probably have issues. @JACKAL The bed area is comparatively small compared to a P1, a smaller ice chest and my grill will fit though! Don't know where you would put a spare, unless you mounted it up high, (bad idea as far as I'm concerned). They have moved most of the weight to the back of the machine, including battery. I think Honda has hit a home run in the Sport S x S market! This is no replacement for our P1, because we use it for more than trail ridding, so it's a trade off? I asked Greg the owner of the dealership what he thought sales would be like on the P1's in the future, he replied strong. There is no other S x S's on the market like the P7-4 and the P1-5 with that wheel base.

I don't see the Talon cutting into Pioneer 1000 sales much, as you said the P1K is just about the most versatile machine out there for work and play which can also seat 5 in a pinch. If I had to choose either or, definitely would keep the Pioneer 1000.

Where I see Talon sales cannibalize market share is the disgruntled sport machine owners who have had thier brand x in the shop more than on the trail, or been left busted in BFE ruining one weekend too many.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't see the Talon cutting into Pioneer 1000 sales much, as you said the P1K is just about the most versatile machine out there for work and play which can also seat 5 in a pinch. If I had to choose either or, definitely would keep the Pioneer 1000.

Where I see Talon sales cannibalize market share is the disgruntled sport machine owners who have had thier brand x in the shop more than on the trail, or been left busted in BFE ruining one weekend too many.

Hmmm....are you suggesting another round of price drops on all the CL Rzr ads?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

EXACTLY!

Reactions: sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I think there is a segment of Honda loyal that wanted a sxs and bought the P1000 because it was their best option at the time. Now that the Talon is out there will be some who sell the Pioneer and buy one. There will be others that need the seating or the utility and keep it or keep it and add the Talon to their stable.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think there is a segment of Honda loyal that wanted a sxs and bought the P1000 because it was their best option at the time. Now that the Talon is out there will be some who sell the Pioneer and buy one. There will be others that need the seating or the utility and keep it or keep it and add the Talon to their stable.
My wife says I can only afford one, the pups and she would divorce me if I replaced the P1 with a Talon 2 seat, after looking at the Talon, I think there 4 seat will be a stretch limo model! ????? It is a relief though to find out the bottom isn't going to fall out on the P1, value wise.

B

Bigblue1

Feb 3, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

See switch mounting.
FB IMG 1552104623473

Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
I was in that segment. I wasn't necessarily a
Thanks for posting pic, I was really wanting to see how the switch panel looked. I also ordered radio so that was a bonus to see in photo.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another YT video from the event (assuming as I haven't watched it yet)...

Reactions: BigOL3 and Eltobgi
Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
Another YT video from the event (assuming as I haven't watched it yet)...

The review should have been X on trail and R in desert. The guy puts together good videos. Also, being a Canadian, should have spent some time on trails with X to demonstrate manuverabilty for our friends north of border.

Reactions: JTW
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The review should have been X on trail and R in desert. The guy puts together good videos. Also, being a Canadian, should have spent some time on trails with X to demonstrate manuverabilty for our friends north of border.
Ok, I'm going to say it, after seeing the Talon in person, I think it looks better than the Textron Wild Cat! HA!

1Ron

Dec 18, 2018
Rockies
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I agree but he seemed more of a Journalist than a rider. There was no real substance to his review.

1Ron

Dec 18, 2018
Rockies
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Both of the area's are great riding. Not as good as Moab but some pretty good variety in riding. The first ride wasn't at Sand Hollow State Park. It looked like the area between Coral Pink Sand Dunes and Zion Park. Almost pure sand and great trails, although they will have some deep ruts after the Honda ride.
I don't know how the rest of you feel but I liked the first Video after about 20 minutes they started to review the ride. I thought the SXS Blog guys did a decent job of getting into the details of how the Talon works. Light throttle, Paddle shifters, performance handling and called out a few potential weaknesses. They weren't hung up on HP like the Canadian. I'm looking for some footage of the Rock event at the Sand Hollow ride to see how it does crawling.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!