Talon in a Truck Bed Rack

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I have been interested in trying one of these out for awhile now. I got this rack used on Facebook to try it out. For me, it gives me a bunch options as I can tow a trailer still with it. I am pretty stoked to give it a real try. I went a few miles down the road just to try it out and it was solid! It is one butt puckering ride up the ramps but felt good. Once strapped everything felt really secure!!

20220710 142406
20220710 135131
20220710 135256
20220710 135225
20220709 114937

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You should load up for a trip and go across a CAT scale to make sure you’re not exceeding your axle weight limits.
I see you have a Super Duty. Mine has ~3000 lb cargo capacity, yours should be similar. But does that say PowerSmoke diesel? That will lower your cargo capacity. Running gear is heavier.
The Talon and a trailer might put you over the rear axle limit.
Axle weight ratings can be found in the driver’s door frame.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
You should load up for a trip and go across a CAT scale to make sure you’re not exceeding your axle weight limits.
I see you have a Super Duty. Mine has ~3000 lb cargo capacity, yours should be similar. But does that say PowerSmoke diesel? That will lower your cargo capacity. Running gear is heavier.
The Talon and a trailer might put you over the rear axle limit.
Axle weight ratings can be found in the driver’s door frame.
Yeah its a 2022 SD Diesel F250. It has a rear air bag set up also. Thanks for the heads-up on checking out the weights of the setup.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To me that looks kinda scetch, I get the concept, load a buggy in the bed and be able to pull a trailer behind you with other buggy’s or a camper or whatever, the thing that concerns me the most about that setup is the instability of the weight being that high up. A short run, sure no problem, but on a long trip… there is no shortage of idiots on the roads today and one evasive maneuver and your on your side or worse. Not saying it’s gonna happen, just sayin it’s more probable. But if it works for you and your ok with it, go for it.
Good luck.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
what is your bridge clearance with that setup? Looks tall. Would suck to peal off Talon. Have seen a lot of pull trailers peal off their air conditioners (not on interstate but locally)

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
To me that looks kinda scetch, I get the concept, load a buggy in the bed and be able to pull a trailer behind you with other buggy’s or a camper or whatever, the thing that concerns me the most about that setup is the instability of the weight being that high up. A short run, sure no problem, but on a long trip… there is no shortage of idiots on the roads today and one evasive maneuver and your on your side or worse. Not saying it’s gonna happen, just sayin it’s more probable. But if it works for you and your ok with it, go for it.
Good luck.
It's really not as much up top weight as it looks with the majority of it (motor) down lower right over the bed. Time will tell. I wouldn't want to do it without bags though.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Good luck.
It's really not as much up top weight as it looks with the majority of it (motor) down lower right over the bed. Time will tell. I wouldn't want to do it without bags though.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It was around 12' high...eyeballing a tape measure.
Too topsy for me And if u beed to take abrasive action :oops:That said you have balls! with a short bed to boot. I have air bags in my 350 SD and they are a god sent. Thank god u have them. I also have and 8’ bed for that reason. Short beds are useless IMO when doing what your doing and hauling a 5er know matter what the manufacture says. I made that mistake once and went back lol. The 12’ you should be good. But I would trippleB make sure! At 13’ your getting real close. Glad its a diesel too!
otherwise I love the color of your truck with the black out badges. good luck.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Too topsy for me And if u beed to take abrasive action :oops:That said you have balls! with a short bed to boot. I have air bags in my 350 SD and they are a god sent. Thank god u have them. I also have and 8’ bed for that reason. Short beds are useless IMO when doing what your doing and hauling a 5er know matter what the manufacture says. I made that mistake once and went back lol. The 12’ you should be good. But I would trippleB make sure! At 13’ your getting real close. Glad its a diesel too!
otherwise I love the color of your truck with the black out badges. good luck.
TripleB always makes sure lol

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just curious, how hard is it to remove and install that setup? IE I only would trailer maybe every other weekend, wouldnt want that on my truck the rest of the time.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Just curious, how hard is it to remove and install that setup? IE I only would trailer maybe every other weekend, wouldnt want that on my truck the rest of the time.
As an alternative to that and for your application your speaking of, this is what I would get. I have the cover myself for the last 7 yrs and will get another for my next truck they can hold enormous amount of poundage and are durable as fuc. there pricy but worth every penny.
The DB system is also easy to install and remove. I have to take mine out for the 5er Hitch. I have not had a sxs or quad on it tho Cuz i have trailers for that. a friend of mine has on his and its slick.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
It was pretty easy overall....I am around 155lbs and I manually pulled it out by myself. It will sit at a 45°ish angle, on the ground, so you can back the truck up to it. Then you set it on the edge, pick it up and shove it to the front. I think it was around 350lbs. 4 anchor points and go!! I thought it was pretty easy which was one reason I wanted it. We have 4 machines that we own and haul in different configurations. This allows me to quickly load up by myself and head out without much prep. It's also harder to steel stuff off the buggy due to how it sits, when traveling alone. It's got some negatives to it but I think the positives out way the negs.

20220512 151640
20220625 073131

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!