Talon Talon owner's first impressions?

Z

Zmorris83

Anyone else as annoyed with the 75mph speed limiter?

EXCELLENT shifts. Similar to a modded/tuned GTR or straighcut clutchless transmission. Very impressed.

Fit and finish is impressive.

Extremely touchy throttle/hard to drive soft/slow.

Great fuel economy.

Extremely difficult to push beyond it's limits.

Alignment, like my P1K5D, was way off!!!

Stock tires are too small and worn after only 50 miles of backroads and beating.

Z

Zmorris83

By the alignment being off, how far was yours out?
Over 2 inches front toe out and the steering wheel clocked 80 degrees left. The cross bar on the wheel was almost straight up/down. It would barely turn left, but turn sharp right. The Talon doesn't steer nearly as tight as the Pioneer already. I literally couldn't ride it without realigning it first. It was about 4 times farther out of alignment than my Pioneer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Haven't had much time to go over it really close yet. Thanks for the heads up on alignment,I will check it out soon.
Going to work on that gas pedal problem TODAY. cant go slow without it bucking.( Throttle Maxx )

Fit and finish is excellent
Drive train is very impressive
The seats are comfortable
Sound is mean

J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
What specs did you use for alignment? Does the manual address it?

Z

Zmorris83

The Throttle Maxx is awesome on the Pioneer for the same reason. The Talon needs it even worse.

I set the toe at 0.10" toe in. Drives good at that setting and the steering is light and responsive.

Weighed mine and my brother's SXSs with a full tank of fuel and no passengers. 1550# Talon. 1860# X3 RC. (This weight difference was very apparent on extreme rock faces.)

Did a day of rock climbing and rather technical off-roading yesterday. The Talon is almost impossible to flip. It throws about 100 times more mud than the Pioneer into the cab, but about 10 times less than the X3 RC. That's not an exaggeration. I noticed a couple times that the I-4wd was obviously inferior to a locked diff, but it is really nice not having to lock and unlock the front diff repetitively. 99% of the time the system works very impressively, but it doesn't seem to like 3 wheeling with lots of traction and wet brakes. I was too busy having fun to really pay attention to the how/why.

Last edited by a moderator:
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
a lot of the specs for utvs and atvs are zero but, not a good place to set it. handle better at about an eighth in front, especially once they get some miles will be twitchy at zero

Z

Zmorris83

Where are the rest of the Talon owner's? I'd love to hear y'all's take on it.

Maintenance access is beyond excellent!!! You couldn't ask for easier access to literally everything!

The bed is awesome, but it collects mud, doesn't drain well and is difficult to wash out. It's actually useful unlike virtually all other sport SXSs so I can't complain. A 30 quart HP cooler looks tiny in it.

I love the floorboards. They don't let high water rush right in so you can make deep water crossings without getting a wet right foot like most SXSs. They still drain well and are easy to wash out.

A half windshield is all but mandatory. Even as slow as 15mph feels like your facing a hurricane. I've been wearing a MX helmet, goggles and wet suit style jacket until it arrives.

Really loving the seats and the range of adjustment.

Love the extreme range of adjustment on the steering wheel.

Cup holders are EXCELLENT, but really far back. You have to reach elbow up, hand down and back to get anything out of them. Still not bad for a pure sport SXS. At least I don't have to completely replace them to be functional like the Pioneer and they won't boil water like a Maverick/Commander.

Speaking of heat, this thing is NOTHING like the Pioneer. I haven't had to OR found a reason to insulate ANYTHING. No fans added. No wind blocks added. No "heated" seats. NOTHING!!!

The roof gutter is awesome.

Really wish it had turf mode...

Wish it didn't rev to the moon even in normal auto mode at light throttle. The difference between sport and auto is minor. I'd prefer it to be setup more like the Pioneer with a dramatic difference.

78 hard miles on 5 gallons is excellent!!! About 40% better than the X3 RC on the 45mph ECO key. Very impressive!

Still HATE the 75mph limiter! What was Honda thinking!?!?!?

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
they set it like all Hondas, safety with off road designed tires and durability is there max concern. that's why we buy them, so I don't complain much, well about the speed limiter

Sjc3081

Sjc3081

Jan 16, 2017
Wappinger NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As for 75mph speed limiter, my Outlander 800r is limited at 77mph. There is no safe areas to ride a at 75mph excepting the highway. So the speed limiter isn’t an issue.

Reactions: Montecresto
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Havent had mine out yet, Only around the house.
I can tell right off the difference in the 3 adjustment positions on the Fox shocks. I dont like the jerk when you first push on the gas pedal. It was nearly impossible to load in my buddies toy hauler. Havent noticed any heat other than the new smell of the exhaust.
Tilt out Super ATV windsheild is on it's way and Pro Armor 3" 4 points should be here by the weekend.
Guessing 2019 [HASHTAG]#takeover[/HASHTAG] will be its first real ride. I'll check back in when I get back home.

Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
Havent had mine out yet, Only around the house.
I can tell right off the difference in the 3 adjustment positions on the Fox shocks. I dont like the jerk when you first push on the gas pedal. It was nearly impossible to load in my buddies toy hauler. Havent noticed any heat other than the new smell of the exhaust.
Tilt out Super ATV windsheild is on it's way and Pro Armor 3" 4 points should be here by the weekend.
Guessing 2019 [HASHTAG]#takeover[/HASHTAG] will be its first real ride. I'll check back in when I get back home.
Yes, the gas pedal is hyper sensitive. But you will adjust. I did in one ride.
Where are the rest of the Talon owner's? I'd love to hear y'all's take on it.

Maintenance access is beyond excellent!!! You couldn't ask for easier access to literally everything!

The bed is awesome, but it collects mud, doesn't drain well and is difficult to wash out. It's actually useful unlike virtually all other sport SXSs so I can't complain. A 30 quart HP cooler looks tiny in it.

I love the floorboards. They don't let high water rush right in so you can make deep water crossings without getting a wet right foot like most SXSs. They still drain well and are easy to wash out.

A half windshield is all but mandatory. Even as slow as 15mph feels like your facing a hurricane. I've been wearing a MX helmet, goggles and wet suit style jacket until it arrives.

Really loving the seats and the range of adjustment.

Love the extreme range of adjustment on the steering wheel.

Cup holders are EXCELLENT, but really far back. You have to reach elbow up, hand down and back to get anything out of them. Still not bad for a pure sport SXS. At least I don't have to completely replace them to be functional like the Pioneer and they won't boil water like a Maverick/Commander.

Speaking of heat, this thing is NOTHING like the Pioneer. I haven't had to OR found a reason to insulate ANYTHING. No fans added. No wind blocks added. No "heated" seats. NOTHING!!!

The roof gutter is awesome.

Really wish it had turf mode...

Wish it didn't rev to the moon even in normal auto mode at light throttle. The difference between sport and auto is minor. I'd prefer it to be setup more like the Pioneer with a dramatic difference.

78 hard miles on 5 gallons is excellent!!! About 40% better than the X3 RC on the 45mph ECO key. Very impressive!

Still HATE the 75mph limiter! What was Honda thinking!?!?!?

Agree with almost your entire post. I did hit the limiter once or twice and to be fair, I was going way to fast for where I was riding. I just "wanna go fast" like Ricky Bobby. In reality, unless you are on a paved highway 75 is plenty fast for off road. Now there are flash kits already available to up the limiter. Don't think I will bite as 75 is all I need (for now). Heat is almost a non issue. If someone says they are having an issue, might me another problem. Can you feel a little "warm" coming from the shift area? Yes..... HEAT, no...ZERO heat in seats.

I have kept it on 2 for shocks. Got to say those who complain about the rougher ride have to understand that this is a "SPORT" machine. I have had the good fortune to drive (not own) some world class sports cars. I can tell you, most of them ride rough;for casual driving but handle curves with amazing agility. I have found the same to be true for the Talon. Yes, it is a little rougher ride, but the handling is the best SXS I have driven. I would challenge just about anyone on tight trails in a rally race. For you people on Dunes...can't speak to that as that is my once or twice or year journey.

I too find the gas mileage to negate any of those complaining about a small tank. Put 70 hard miles on this weekend and just under a half a tank.

Where I disagree with you is on Sport vs Auto... The Sport mode reduces about 1 second in zero to 60 time. It is noticeable. Sometimes I take it out of Sport when the trail gets a little less demanding. I want a little less upshifting and the Auto mode is noticeably different. I really like the sport mode though.

It truly is amazing how fast the Talon learns your driving pattern. Rarely would I find myself wanting to manually shift as the auto mode was usually faster than me...

Another perk rarely mentioned is the advantage of DCT breaking. The DCT really aides in braking and slowing the machine. Much less time spent on brakes. You will really appreciate that feature much more than you realize.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have a large hinge already cut and the first test fit. I need about 45 more minutes and I'll have a homemade pedal extension. Throttle Maxx doesn't have one yet.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have a large hinge already cut and the first test fit. I need about 45 more minutes and I'll have a homemade pedal extension. Throttle Maxx doesn't have one yet.
I've been thinking about a heel ledge, mounted to the floor?

P

Puller810

Apr 14, 2019
MICHIGAN
Ownership

1. Talon X
Haven't put many miles on mine yet. I like the sound for sure, sport mode works very well. It will be interesting to see how it works in the dunes next weekend. Fit and finish seems well. Only thing I don't like is the size of the tires and the rear of the cage being so high. These are preferences and I'll be changing these up as soon as Tom allows.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
1st attempt
20190418 163002
Preliminary test are promising, rear test will be at [HASHTAG]#takeover[/HASHTAG]

C

Crwh45

Nov 3, 2016
Greene, N.Y.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have one on order for the end of May. Just out of curiosity, how easy is it to get to the air filter? I've been searching for this and haven't found anything yet. Is it a PITA like on the Pioneer 1000? I was waiting to bite the bullet on one until after getting hitched, but I was in the dealership the other day and they offered me too good a deal on my valkyrie for me to pass it up on trading it in on a talon X.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have one on order for the end of May. Just out of curiosity, how easy is it to get to the air filter? I've been searching for this and haven't found anything yet. Is it a PITA like on the Pioneer 1000? I was waiting to bite the bullet on one until after getting hitched, but I was in the dealership the other day and they offered me too good a deal on my valkyrie for me to pass it up on trading it in on a talon X.
If I recall, air filter is a tool-less setup.
Remove wall panel from bed, air filter is right there. Held in with spring steel clips.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!