Talon Power Steering Problems

M

morganhertel

Mar 27, 2021
Eastern Tennessee
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Greetings, the car which is a 2021 4 seat live valve has about 30 miles on it, running 32s all around, today on a ride within 5 minutes I lost power steering and the power steering light came on, it would stay on until I stopped and shut down, then would do the same thing again. Did this the rest of the day..

I don’t think this has to do with heat as it was a cool day and really didn’t have enough time cruising to get hot. I have seen a couple of post about this alluding to grounding problems or ECU resets and will check tomorrow for bad grounds and loose wires but am wondering if anyone else has gone through this and has a solution

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Greetings, the car which is a 2021 4 seat live valve has about 30 miles on it, running 32s all around, today on a ride within 5 minutes I lost power steering and the power steering light came on, it would stay on until I stopped and shut down, then would do the same thing again. Did this the rest of the day..

I don’t think this has to do with heat as it was a cool day and really didn’t have enough time cruising to get hot. I have seen a couple of post about this alluding to grounding problems or ECU resets and will check tomorrow for bad grounds and loose wires but am wondering if anyone else has gone through this and has a solution
I'd check your battery and grounds for sure. My 2018 Foreman Rubicon with power steering will do exactly as you're describing when the battery is low.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Big tires at low pressure may be the problem. Both of my talons are not happy with large tires at low pressure. Its noticeable on a hard surface especially pavement. If the grounds and battery terminals are ok test with the stock tires at 12 psi.

M

morganhertel

Mar 27, 2021
Eastern Tennessee
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I figured it out, it was a problem with the speed sensor wiring, the connector was not fully seated and when I was driving it around I didn't notice that the speedo was dropping out. When it drops out the power steering light would come on within a few seconds. I took the connector apart and added some dielectric grease and fully seated it, now everything is working as advertised with the 32 inch tires with about 40 miles on it since the change.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I figured it out, it was a problem with the speed sensor wiring, the connector was not fully seated and when I was driving it around I didn't notice that the speedo was dropping out. When it drops out the power steering light would come on within a few seconds. I took the connector apart and added some dielectric grease and fully seated it, now everything is working as advertised with the 32 inch tires with about 40 miles on it since the change.
Thanks for the follow up. 👍 👍

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!