• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

Talon Talon R in Toyhauler?

Discussion in 'General Talon 1000 Discussion' started by Dwight, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Dwight

Dwight Member

Would removing the front bumper on the "R" reduce the overall length? Right now I can haul my RZR rock and trails edition + my Harley trike. It's tight but it fits. The "X" would work but I'd like to have the extra wheelbase.
    Thanks
    Dwight

2. tr20pat

tr20pat New Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    The X and R stock are exact same length 124"

Remington likes this.
  3. JimmyTalon

JimmyTalon Active Member
    Supporting Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
  4. Dwight

Dwight Member

Well,hell! Just figured the R had to be longer because of the wheelbase. Thanks guys, I certainly appreciate the help.
    Dwight

5. nm6r

nm6r Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    The R wheelbase is longer than the X but the overall length is the same. I know because I researched this to death before purchasing.

We shopped for a toy hauler that would fit our RZR 570 and would be light enough to tow with our Explorer. I found it does not exist so we built our own fully equipped 16 ft. toy hauler with an 11 ft. long cargo area. Our Talon R fits like a glove, even with the mattress stowed on the ceiling.

IMG_20190706_054640-Edit.jpg IMG_20190502_082613-Edit.jpg

6. Dwight

Dwight Member

Nice rig!
    Dwight

7. GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Do you care to share some pictures of the inside of your trailer?
    I just bought a Featherlite 16 foot v nose to do the same thing to be lighter weight.

8. nm6r

nm6r Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    I started with a locally built 16' cargo trailer with 3/4" t&g floor and nothing inside. I had the builder frame for the a/c, powered vent and windows. I took the tanks (45 gal. fresh water, 39 gal. gray, 14 gal. black) to him and explained where I wanted them. He fabricated brackets for each tank. The fresh water tank is between the axles, the gray water is just forward of that with the black tank near the front under the toilet. I also had him install the side door (with a screen door) 25" from the front to allow for the "kitchen".

I undercoated the plywood flooring with diy bed liner, painted the fenders black and added the lights as it only came with 4 on each side.

The trailer is framed with 1" square tube that I added 1/2" furring strips to so I could fit 1-1/2" poly iso insulation throughout, including the ramp. The furring strips also allow for easy attachment of the walls/ceiling panels. I also custom fit backing pieces from 2x4s for the bed frame hinges, mattress supports and tables.

The walls/ceiling are plastic sheets from Home Depot that are intended for commercial bathrooms. Sheets were bent over a 2x4 and heated with a heat gun to accommodate the front slope. I used these sheets for the shower stall too. They are very durable and are easy to clean. The trim strips are vinyl fence trim.

The water supply plumbing is PEX, the waste lines/vents are ABS and the propane plumbing is soldered copper.

RAY_7185-Edit.jpg
    Two 20 lb. propane tanks with automatic switchover valve/regulator on the tongue. The front shows a gfi ac outlet, spray port and the upper refrigerator vent. The propane furnace vents and lower refrigerator vents are not visible. On the side, leveling jacks, 30 amp ac service, spray port, water inlet (city water/water tank fill), cable, dump plumbing/valves along with Tornado tank flush inlets and a quick disconnect for a propane generator. The window on this side is also an emergency exit. On the other side is the side door with screen door, low profile mounting step and two propane quick disconnects for grill and fire pit.

RAY_7186-Edit.jpg View from the ramp.

RAY_7188-Edit.jpg View from the back, inside. Showing the A/C (heating & air), smoke detector, TV, thermostat, fold out table, gfi outlet and outlets w/usb chargers, distribution panel and in-floor battery box on the "utility wall". 6000 lb. tied downs are bolted into the floor with backing plates on the underside. "Kitchen". Screen door and fold out table on the right wall. The fold out tables are a 2' x 4' Lifetime table purchased from Home Depot which I drilled out the hinge that joined the halves, fabricated wall hinges and hung them.

RAY_7198-Edit.jpg
    Mattress suspended from the ceiling and fold down "bed frame". The flooring is Luxury Vinyl Plank. It is inexpensive, durable, waterproof and easy to install. I fabricated the trim strip on the back side of the flooring.

RAY_7196-Edit.jpg View from near the front. The 4" foam mattress is suspended from the ceiling. The cross straps act as a shelf allowing the mattress to be slid in/out while the center strap holds it securely in place. The center strap is the only one that gets removed. The ramp is painted (with a grit) light gray with darker gray sponged on to yield a relatively light overall color to keep the small space from feeling smaller and provide a camouflage to hide tire tracks. The "bed frames" are hinged with household hinges and held in place with a 1/4-20 knob that goes into a small piece I fabricated and attached to the trailer frame.

RAY_7191-Edit.jpg
    View from the side door. The "utility wall" on the left showing the powered fan vent control, tank monitor, Sirius satellite radio, switches for outdoor understep lights, kitchen light, bathroom lights, propane/CO monitor on the bottom. The bathroom has a small sink not visible on the left, toilet, and the 2x3 shower is on the right.

RAY_7194-Edit.jpg
    The "kitchen" showing the microwave (held in place with a couple fabricated brackets), cook top, sink, 3 cu. ft. refrigerator/freezer, propane furnace. The top left shows the tv antenna controls.

I hope this helps show what the inside is like and gives you some ideas for your build.

Ray

9. devildog1000R

devildog1000R New Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    That is a perfect set up!!!1

GPR1500SC and nm6r like this.
  10. MFG

MFG Active Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    Damn nice job. How tall is the trailer?

11. nm6r

nm6r Member

Ownership:
    Talon R

It's a "7 ft." tall trailer but it actually about 81" inside height. The overall outside height is 9'-9".

GPR1500SC and devildog1000R like this.
  12. devildog1000R

devildog1000R New Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    How much was the overall cost?

13. Choogsbro

Choogsbro Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Other Brand
    Very nice job. I previously had a converted enclosed but not as nice as that one.

nm6r and GPR1500SC like this.
  14. nm6r

nm6r Member

Ownership:
    Talon R

The trailer cost $7k. I shopped around and could have shaved off a couple thousand but I was impressed with the construction of this one and the builder did the spare tire and carrier, framing for a/c, vent, and windows along with mounting brackets for the water tanks and propane tanks at no extra charge. More than offset the $2k.

I kept meticulous records of every purchase I made for the conversion as well as any returns due to buying the wrong part or too many. As you can see, we did not hold back and did everything we (my wife) could dream of. That said, I was very good at shopping and finding deals online. There were a few items I had to pay the price for. For example the propane quick disconnects, bulkhead and hose I purchased from a local shop but the advice and know-how that came with it was worth a small fortune. I was blown away that it cost another $9k by the time we were done. It all adds up, the A/C and refrigerator were the big ticket items. The tanks were not cheap and anything that says RV on it costs more than it should.

The bottom line was $16k to wind up with a finished toy hauler.

btw, the empty shell of a cargo trailer weighed in at 2040 lbs. and the completed toy hauler with full propane tanks but no water or SxS weighed in at 3500 lbs. We tried our best at being weight conscious knowing every pound adds up. I learned ahead of time that you cannot trust any of the builders weight figures. I know these weights are accurate because I used the CAT scales.

15. devildog1000R

devildog1000R New Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    Ok thats about what i thought it would cost, killer set up thats for sure

nm6r likes this.
  16. GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    I would give you triple like on your post if possible.

You did a good job on it.

That is a awesome empty weight!

Eltobgi, dnjones161 and nm6r like this.
  17. Diegokid

Diegokid New Member

Ownership:
    Do not currently own
    Did you buy a set of plans for this or plan it out yourself?

18. nm6r

nm6r Member

Ownership:
    Talon R

This was my own design. I drew it out on graph paper before purchasing a trailer. Even then, all plumbing was done on the fly with a basic layout in mind. The trick was to start with all the waste plumbing since it is not very flexible (pun intended). Supply plumbing and electrical is much easier.

19. JimmyA

JimmyA Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    700-4
    Good Job! You guys will have many years of use,Impressive!

nm6r likes this.
  20. Diegokid

Diegokid New Member

Ownership:
    Do not currently own
    Build a set of plans for that, you may be surprised at the response.

jasond, ohanacreek and nm6r like this.