Talon Review- Moab

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First things first- did anyone not go to Moab last week? Holy Cow I wish I would have said something on the forum before we left!

Backstory: I've been wanting to get out to Moab for maybe 5 years now, but I could never convince pops to make the trip with me. So this year I requested the PTO, made the plan and crossed my fingers I could get a buddy to go with me. It was going to be a group, but by the time the trip rolled around...there were just two of us. My buddy is a big jeep guy, so we went out for a week and rented a Jeep Sunday, Talon Monday and KRX on Wednesday. I almost have dad talked into buying a SXS (his old ass is still grasping onto his youth riding a foreman for now), and he's got it town to the Talon and KRX. He rented a '21 Live Valve down in WV a few months back and was unimpressed- told me he would buy another Pioneer first (I've got the 1000-5 Deluxe). So I figured this would be a good chance to test the two back to back and help the old man spend some of that moldy money of his.

So we rented the Talon from HighPoint. To be fair- it had 10k on it already. On some pretty gnarly terrain. Also of note- it had been tuned by Shock Therapy. The kid that checked us back in reports that was a VAST improvement over stock suspension. We started the morning riding M&M, and then came back into town to run Chicken Corners. My Talon impressions:

Pros: DCT is no doubt the superior drive system. Its quieter, snappier, more fun to drive. I thought it did a much better job shifting in auto than my Pioneer does, even with the aftermarket 30 inch tires. The Talon wasn't as quiet as my Pioneer, but WAY more enjoyable to ride (from a sound standpoint) than the KRX. I actually enjoyed the I-4WD (is it safe to say that here?). It did everything that we asked it to do. I still wouldn't pick it on the Pioneer as the lockers have never failed me, but it wouldn't stop me from buying the Talon.

Cons: The cab is tight. I'm 6' 225 lbs, my buddy is 5'7" 140 and frankly it was a little uncomfortable IMO. At least compared to the Jeep, Pioneer 1000 and the KRX. The power, frankly, didn't feel THAT much different than my Pioneer. I attribute that in part to the 30 inch tires, and part to the sand we were riding in. Definitely still snappier than the KRX, but I wasn't BLOWN AWAY with the power by any means. Our machine also rattled like crazy. This is likely due to 10k in the rocks, but not what I expected after reading about the fit and finish of the Talon. Biggest issue- that suspension is AWEFUL. Holy Cow. The guy at the shop told us it was way worse before the Shock Therapy treatment. TBH- for what we do, the way we ride, I think the Pioneer 1000 Deluxe suspension is better. That may sound crazy. The Talon R is a sport machine- suspension is a LITTLE better at speeds over 45mph, but TBH still didnt hold a candle to the KRX. The ride, was BAD. I hated to admit it, but there's no denying it- dad was right again :rolleyes:

PXL 20201005 174953168
PXL 20201005 174710884PANO

Wednesday we rented the KRX from High Point. It also had 10k on it. 32 inch tires. We hit 3D north of town, and then went back to town for Hell's Revenge, the Rim Trail and Fins and Things.

Pros: Suspension. Everyone says its like driving a caddy. Guess what? Its like driving a caddy. Soaks up the little rocks that jar your teeth out of your head in the Talon like a champ. The ride quality is the best I've ever been in (Talon, KRX, RZR XP1000 and Pioneer 1000-5 are my reference points). The cab is super spacious. Even with the seat all the way back, we got a backpack behind the seats. Nice phone storage up on the dash. Tach and speedo where they should be- above the wheel. Full doors. Lots of leg room. The cab is a little louder, but its truly superior in every other way.

Cons: TBH, its a little bit of a dog. Power delivery is slow and loud. It crawled up everything we pointed it at, but it wasn't in a hurry to get started. I will say unlike the RZRs there is no "quick on" when hitting the gas- power delivery is very smooth throughout the powerband. Other then the lack of "snap your head back" speed and noise, the KRX really is superior in every other way (when compared with the Talon).

PXL 20201007 232136229PANO

Here's a picture of the Jeep. It was fun in its own right, but you get a lot more done in a SXS. Can't go to Moab and not Jeep at least a day though, right?

PXL 20201004 172843118

Final Thought:

I've now owned the RZR XP1000 Ride Command, Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe, and spent 12 hours behind the wheel of the KRX and Talon 1000-R. My recommendation to dad: find a 2 seat Pioneer LE if you want I-4wd, or consider a Deluxe and add the Fox Shocks if you prefer the locker. If I HAD to choose between the sport machines, I'd go KRX, but TBH for the riding we do east coast (Mostly Hatfield McCoy), neither machine is as comfortable as my Pioneer IMO. The suspension on the KRX isnt THAT much better (at least below 30MPH) than my stock 1000-5 Deluxe, cab room is different but similar, and the constant whine of the belt is mind numbing. Then factor in the price tag and utility of the bed...its a no brainer for me. Pioneer 1000-5 really is the best of both (all) worlds.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Yes there was about 15 machines in MOAB last week from forum members.....

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
First things first- did anyone not go to Moab last week? Holy Cow I wish I would have said something on the forum before we left!

Backstory: I've been wanting to get out to Moab for maybe 5 years now, but I could never convince pops to make the trip with me. So this year I requested the PTO, made the plan and crossed my fingers I could get a buddy to go with me. It was going to be a group, but by the time the trip rolled around...there were just two of us. My buddy is a big jeep guy, so we went out for a week and rented a Jeep Sunday, Talon Monday and KRX on Wednesday. I almost have dad talked into buying a SXS (his old ass is still grasping onto his youth riding a foreman for now), and he's got it town to the Talon and KRX. He rented a '21 Live Valve down in WV a few months back and was unimpressed- told me he would buy another Pioneer first (I've got the 1000-5 Deluxe). So I figured this would be a good chance to test the two back to back and help the old man spend some of that moldy money of his.

So we rented the Talon from HighPoint. To be fair- it had 10k on it already. On some pretty gnarly terrain. Also of note- it had been tuned by Shock Therapy. The kid that checked us back in reports that was a VAST improvement over stock suspension. We started the morning riding M&M, and then came back into town to run Chicken Corners. My Talon impressions:

Pros: DCT is no doubt the superior drive system. Its quieter, snappier, more fun to drive. I thought it did a much better job shifting in auto than my Pioneer does, even with the aftermarket 30 inch tires. The Talon wasn't as quiet as my Pioneer, but WAY more enjoyable to ride (from a sound standpoint) than the KRX. I actually enjoyed the I-4WD (is it safe to say that here?). It did everything that we asked it to do. I still wouldn't pick it on the Pioneer as the lockers have never failed me, but it wouldn't stop me from buying the Talon.

Cons: The cab is tight. I'm 6' 225 lbs, my buddy is 5'7" 140 and frankly it was a little uncomfortable IMO. At least compared to the Jeep, Pioneer 1000 and the KRX. The power, frankly, didn't feel THAT much different than my Pioneer. I attribute that in part to the 30 inch tires, and part to the sand we were riding in. Definitely still snappier than the KRX, but I wasn't BLOWN AWAY with the power by any means. Our machine also rattled like crazy. This is likely due to 10k in the rocks, but not what I expected after reading about the fit and finish of the Talon. Biggest issue- that suspension is AWEFUL. Holy Cow. The guy at the shop told us it was way worse before the Shock Therapy treatment. TBH- for what we do, the way we ride, I think the Pioneer 1000 Deluxe suspension is better. That may sound crazy. The Talon R is a sport machine- suspension is a LITTLE better at speeds over 45mph, but TBH still didnt hold a candle to the KRX. The ride, was BAD. I hated to admit it, but there's no denying it- dad was right again :rolleyes:

View attachment 229901View attachment 229900

Wednesday we rented the KRX from High Point. It also had 10k on it. 32 inch tires. We hit 3D north of town, and then went back to town for Hell's Revenge, the Rim Trail and Fins and Things.

Pros: Suspension. Everyone says its like driving a caddy. Guess what? Its like driving a caddy. Soaks up the little rocks that jar your teeth out of your head in the Talon like a champ. The ride quality is the best I've ever been in (Talon, KRX, RZR XP1000 and Pioneer 1000-5 are my reference points). The cab is super spacious. Even with the seat all the way back, we got a backpack behind the seats. Nice phone storage up on the dash. Tach and speedo where they should be- above the wheel. Full doors. Lots of leg room. The cab is a little louder, but its truly superior in every other way.

Cons: TBH, its a little bit of a dog. Power delivery is slow and loud. It crawled up everything we pointed it at, but it wasn't in a hurry to get started. I will say unlike the RZRs there is no "quick on" when hitting the gas- power delivery is very smooth throughout the powerband. Other then the lack of "snap your head back" speed and noise, the KRX really is superior in every other way (when compared with the Talon).

View attachment 229899

Here's a picture of the Jeep. It was fun in its own right, but you get a lot more done in a SXS. Can't go to Moab and not Jeep at least a day though, right?

View attachment 229902

Final Thought:

I've now owned the RZR XP1000 Ride Command, Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe, and spent 12 hours behind the wheel of the KRX and Talon 1000-R. My recommendation to dad: find a 2 seat Pioneer LE if you want I-4wd, or consider a Deluxe and add the Fox Shocks if you prefer the locker. If I HAD to choose between the sport machines, I'd go KRX, but TBH for the riding we do east coast (Mostly Hatfield McCoy), neither machine is as comfortable as my Pioneer IMO. The suspension on the KRX isnt THAT much better (at least below 30MPH) than my stock 1000-5 Deluxe, cab room is different but similar, and the constant whine of the belt is mind numbing. Then factor in the price tag and utility of the bed...its a no brainer for me. Pioneer 1000-5 really is the best of both (all) worlds.
Thank you for taking the time to write up a very Honest review! Anyone on the market for either the KRX or Talon should read this. Myself, I am considering to switch from my 700/4 to the new Yamaha RMAX but I need to test ride one to make my mind up.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV

View attachment 229899

View attachment 229902

Final Thought:

I wonder if the mileage had any effect on the snappiness from the KRX. When I rode with Josh @JTW at Coalmont, his KRX in L was absurd. I couldn't imagine wanting much more "snap" than that.

I agree on the sound. I'm just spoiled to the non-belt machines. I've ridden in Polaris/Can-Am/CFMoto/Kawi/Yami/etc and the Honda is always the best on the ears in regard to cab noise.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4

View attachment 229899

View attachment 229902

Final Thought:

Excellent review.

If KRX was out when the Talon was originally released I would have had a hard time choosing, probably would have went with the KRX. After switching to the 4 seat talon, the ride improved greatly from the 2 seat, tender springs improved it more. Suspension is my biggest dislike in the Talonsl. My shocks will likely be sent to Weller before spring.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you for taking the time to write up a very Honest review! Anyone on the market for either the KRX or Talon should read this. Myself, I am considering to switch from my 700/4 to the new Yamaha RMAX but I need to test ride one to make my mind up.
I'm curious about the RMax as well. Had high point had one to rent, we probably would have done a fourth day instead of hiking. Yamaha's are really comfortable, and I've read Good things early about the suspension on those. Cab noise will likely be the main downfall for me. Soo spoiled on the pioneer now.

Reactions: TripleB
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wonder if the mileage had any effect on the snappiness from the KRX. When I rode with Josh @JTW at Coalmont, his KRX in L was absurd. I couldn't imagine wanting much more "snap" than that.

I agree on the sound. I'm just spoiled to the non-belt machines. I've ridden in Polaris/Can-Am/CFMoto/Kawi/Yami/etc and the Honda is always the best on the ears in regard to cab noise.

I'm not sure. Admittedly it's been awhile since I've been in a belt driven machine, but the guy that checked us back in said that all of their krx models had got new belts this summer. But with 10k on that machine...they could totally be ready for new ones. Those miles are adding up fast. We actually kept it in high most of the day because I felt like it was even more of a slow starter in low (and hated having to be between 7 and 8,000 RPM and more open sections).

The noise difference really is crazy. I laugh at people every time we are out when they ask me if my Pioneer is electric, but after writing those two machines for the week and then coming home and checking on food plot Sunday night and the pioneer, it totally makes sense.

T

TMCCOY

Nov 18, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X4
We were also in Moab over the weekend. Your machine summary aligns with the forum/review feedback I have read. I do like the KRX despite it's size and if I were needing a two seater, that may be the choice. That said, our 4 seater Talon with three in it at all times with Bandit tenders and no rear sway bar did really well! We successfully navigated Moab Rim which is no joke. The only machine related issue I experienced was frequent high-centering due to the length and low ground clearance with 30X9.50 LT tires. Fortunately, we have 1/2" HPDE skid and rockers so used those appropriately to slide off the drops.

J

JTW

We were also in Moab over the weekend. Your machine summary aligns with the forum/review feedback I have read. I do like the KRX despite it's size and if I were needing a two seater, that may be the choice. That said, our 4 seater Talon with three in it at all times with Bandit tenders and no rear sway bar did really well! We successfully navigated Moab Rim which is no joke. The only machine related issue I experienced was frequent high-centering due to the length and low ground clearance with 30X9.50 LT tires. Fortunately, we have 1/2" HPDE skid and rockers so used those appropriately to slide off the drops.
Were you part of the big group we went by on Friday/Saturday?

T

TMCCOY

Nov 18, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Could be, we were riding both those days. There were a lot of folks in town.

T

TMCCOY

Nov 18, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Doesn't sound familiar, but if that was a Saturday, we broke off from the large group we joined from Friday so we could get some rides in! The large group was taking too long.

Reactions: JTW
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Were you part of a 15-20 machine group parked in the shade not far from wipe out hill?
Doesn't sound familiar, but if that was a Saturday, we broke off from the large group we joined from Friday so we could get some rides in! The large group was taking too long.
We were never on Wipe Out Hill. WOH is ranked a 5 and we opted for the more challenging trails...
Friday was Poison Spider (6) and Golden Spike (7).
Saturday was Hell's Revenge (6) and Moab Rim (7 and underrated in my opinion).

Saw lots of KRX's "buzzing around" Hell's Revenge but none of them would try any of the obstacles. They all parked and watched as almost everyone else did Hell's Gate. I really wanted to see a KRX in action, what a disappointment. Not sure why they wouldn't try any of the harder obstacles.

I was impressed by a guy in a Wild Cat, he did everything, including the Escalator (multiple times).

T

TMCCOY

Nov 18, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Moab Rim was substantially more challenging and hazardous than Golden Spike IMO. I would put it at a 8. Given there were only 5 seriously built jeeps (and the Land Rover that was attempting it when we left) on the entire trail the whole time we were on it Saturday when Hells Revenge was packed says a lot to me.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We were never on Wipe Out Hill. WOH is ranked a 5 and we opted for the more challenging trails...

Saw lots of KRX's "buzzing around" Hell's Revenge but none of them would try any of the obstacles. They all parked and watched as almost everyone else did Hell's Gate. I really wanted to see a KRX in action, what a disappointment. Not sure why they wouldn't try any of the harder obstacles.

I was impressed by a guy in a Wild Cat, he did everything, including the Escalator (multiple times).

Did y'all do "The Pickle" on 3D? We watched a full size Ram break a front driveshaft on that Wednesday. I opted out in our rented KRX 😌

J

JTW

Lmao.. well we put down over 600 miles this trip, camped on the trail 3 nights so we could get further out and have previously done all the trails you’re speaking of in pioneers the last 2 years we’ve been there. We’re now trying to get away from the touristy trails you’re referring. But, been there done that... we did take the new guys in our group up and down escalator and hell’s gate multiple times. You see a lot of KRX’s because that’s what the rental companies are switching too. You won’t see them doing some of the harder trails or obstacles because they are gps’ed and not allowed to do them as they’re rentals. That goes for any and all rentals.

Maybe @Kilo427 @Ragnar406 @Landman @GlockMeister @nbomar or @Cuoutdoors will have some pics or videos of the KRX’s in action

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
J

JTW

Moab Rim was substantially more challenging and hazardous than Golden Spike IMO. I would put it at a 8. Given there were only 5 seriously built jeeps (and the Land Rover that was attempting it when we left) on the entire trail the whole time we were on it Saturday when Hells Revenge was packed says a lot to me.
Hell’s revenge is a must do if you’re in Moab.. just to say you’ve done it. But it’s not what I would call a hard trail.

Reactions: Mudwing
J

JTW

Yes, there was an absurd amount of people this time. It’s not usually this busy this late in the year.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!