highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I've been considering attempting this under hood cargo box design challenge for a LONG time. The plastic compartments currently available look ok except they can't possibly seal well with an open top and foam sealant on all but one top edge that seal against the hood bottom.

After taking a few preliminary measurements and studying the available space, I found that the 6" round hatch I use for my under seat cargo boxes is too large and 4" is impractically too small. My supplier has a 5" round hatch that is a possibility. So I'm thinking this winter when my daylight shop time is limited, I may begin designing and fitting up parts to make an aluminum version with the 5" round sealed hatch on top. This space is not very wide but is deep for storing smaller items.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Making some good progress on this task. Last weekend I fab'd an aluminum working concept to tinker with. I've been cutting and reconfiguring mounting tabs. The overall shape is close too. I'm trying to make this easy to fab without losing valuable capacity to keep costs down. The more bends I have the more the cost. As soon as I get a finished concept I"ll post some pics. It may be rough looking due to progressive changes during design.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Update:
Tweaked on the box design this weekend and now have a working concept. Made a midstream redesign this weekend on the aluminum prototype. Had to hack it up with the plasma and make some changes to make fabrication and bending easier. I'm not posting pics of this ugly version!!

I'll lose a small amount of total volume but fab will be MUCH easier! A quart of Amsoil will easily fit through the 5" hatch and for sure two quarts will fit in the bottom of the box. Overall size will be about 7 1/2" square and about 13" deep. Install will be simple using one existing mounting point and requiring two new holes drilled but I'll explain that later.

Now I have to get to work making a 3d model that the metal shop can cut and bend from. Once I have a cleaner version, I'll post some pics for the crowd here.

Overall I'm happy with the design and capacity. There is a fine line between what I dream up and what is feasible to fabricate at a reasonable cost. This is a down side of metal fab versus plastic molding. Plastic molding costs too much to get started and requires a ridiculous minimum order.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Here's a cad model sketch view to hold everyone over till a physical part is available for pics.
Talon under hood storage box sketch

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Picked up the cut and bent pieces from shop yesterday. They look awesome! Having a cnc shop near me that is happy to work with me is terrific!

Getting close to launch but yet to do:
  • weld these up!
  • test the fit and bolt up
  • 3d print a gasket template to cut the neoprene
  • get the correct bolts for the hatch
  • get a price on powder coat
  • take some pics
  • type some basic installation instructions

IMG 0404
IMG 0405

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Picked up the first few boxes from powder coat yesterday. I did not have any goo gone to remove the very stuck hatch stickers!

Left to do is write some simple installation instructions.

IMG 0489
IMG 0487

IMG 0483

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Picked up the first few boxes from powder coat yesterday. I did not have any goo gone to remove the very stuck hatch stickers!

Left to do is write some simple installation instructions.

View attachment 364638 View attachment 364639

View attachment 364640
Looks awesome 👏🏻

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!