BOX1

Talon Talon vs XP 1000

1Ron

Dec 18, 2018
Rockies
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The Talon that I ordered arrived today and I took a test drive. The Talon R is very attractive and the DCT is very crisp. A little too jerky maybe unless full throttle but thats a DCT. I loved the way it downshifts so that you are always in a low gear. There’s a lot to like with the transmission. Fit and Finish was superb, the paint job perfect. The Ride was also very good for stock suspension.
For what it’s worth here is my assessment of where it falls short compared to my 2018 XP1K. I realize that there are others with differing values and riding terrain so they may not care about things that I feel are important.
1. Noisy-Reviewers commented on how quiet it was but we found just the opposite. It is much louder than the XP but I do love the exhaust sound. It may be quieter cruising in a taller gear but it’s just very loud in normal riding.
2. Gearing-I have seen comments about it being low geared but that’s not the case. Low range is barely OK with the 28” tires and I wouldn’t consider any tire larger than 30”. For my taste I would like to see lower gearing in low range. For trail riders it may be fine with 32’s. If low ground speed, boon docking or rock crawling isn’t an issue then it's fine.
3. Visibility-This is not a factor unless you do a lot of Rock crawling or technical riding. You sit back farther and the higher hood and fenders make it hard to pick a line.
4. Turning radius-I expected it to be a little longer since the wheelbase is a few inches longer. There is a huge difference....I found myself having to back up on turns that the XP would make with ease. The shorter Talon might be OK on turns.
5. Cage-I was surprised at the holes in the cab and especially the gaping holes behind the seats. The cab is anything but tight. There will be a lot of dirt from the rear tires entering the cab. Air flow may keep dust out at speed but when you slow down or ride slow in flour dust there will be an issue. It wouldn’t take a lot of effort to make this better. This is a dirty sport but why make it worse.
I had already sold my XP so there is no easy answer for me. I went back this afternoon to give the Talon a second look. Like I said to start the Talon is a very nice Car and will be a good fit for a lot of people.
I’ll probably be back on an XP soon.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
RZR XP 1000 on a Honda forum? :D

Tenor

B

Bigblue1

Feb 3, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The Talon that I ordered arrived today and I took a test drive. The Talon R is very attractive and the DCT is very crisp. A little too jerky maybe unless full throttle but thats a DCT. I loved the way it downshifts so that you are always in a low gear. There’s a lot to like with the transmission. Fit and Finish was superb, the paint job perfect. The Ride was also very good for stock suspension.
For what it’s worth here is my assessment of where it falls short compared to my 2018 XP1K. I realize that there are others with differing values and riding terrain so they may not care about things that I feel are important.
1. Noisy-Reviewers commented on how quiet it was but we found just the opposite. It is much louder than the XP but I do love the exhaust sound. It may be quieter cruising in a taller gear but it’s just very loud in normal riding.
2. Gearing-I have seen comments about it being low geared but that’s not the case. Low range is barely OK with the 28” tires and I wouldn’t consider any tire larger than 30”. For my taste I would like to see lower gearing in low range. For trail riders it may be fine with 32’s. If low ground speed, boon docking or rock crawling isn’t an issue then it's fine.
3. Visibility-This is not a factor unless you do a lot of Rock crawling or technical riding. You sit back farther and the higher hood and fenders make it hard to pick a line.
4. Turning radius-I expected it to be a little longer since the wheelbase is a few inches longer. There is a huge difference....I found myself having to back up on turns that the XP would make with ease. The shorter Talon might be OK on turns.
5. Cage-I was surprised at the holes in the cab and especially the gaping holes behind the seats. The cab is anything but tight. There will be a lot of dirt from the rear tires entering the cab. Air flow may keep dust out at speed but when you slow down or ride slow in flour dust there will be an issue. It wouldn’t take a lot of effort to make this better. This is a dirty sport but why make it worse.
I had already sold my XP so there is no easy answer for me. I went back this afternoon to give the Talon a second look. Like I said to start the Talon is a very nice Car and will be a good fit for a lot of people.
Turning radius is the only thing that bothers me .

Reactions: CumminsPusher
H

HondaTech

Not really seeing any more cab openings then the RZR.

I mean the doors on an XP1000 might as well not even be there for the giant hole on the bottom.

The X does have a smaller turning radius.

Low may not be as low as other but itll still walk down a hill in in low/1st gear.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I've had 3 Polaris models, a 2011, 2012, and a 2013. Check out the maintenance schedule and the RZR 1000 needs something every 250 miles. My RZR 900 had maintenance every 200 miles. It not a problem if you only ride 500 miles a year but when its over 15,000 it is a problem. I needed 3 of them to have something to drive. One was always broke down. The RZR 1000 is much improved now but the big benefit is you can buy one for about $3,000 to $4,000 less then a Talon.

H

HondaTech

I've had 3 Polaris models, a 2011, 2012, and a 2013. Check out the maintenance schedule and the RZR 1000 needs something every 250 miles. My RZR 900 had maintenance every 200 miles. It not a problem if you only ride 500 miles a year but when its over 15,000 it is a problem. I needed 3 of them to have something to drive. One was always broke down. The RZR 1000 is much improved now but the big benefit is you can buy one for about $3,000 to $4,000 less then a Talon.

Market saturation, there are so many out there, nobody is buying them unless their a first time buyer or Polaris comes out with something worth upgrading to.

They keep losing market share because others are finally dropping competing products and people are taking notice.

Reactions: Ragnar406
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
RZR XP 1000 on a Honda forum? :D

I think what you are seeing is a diffrence in perspective.
It's not a right or wrong thing (unless you are a fan boy).

I posted a video the other day.
Guy was a Jeep rock crawler type that whent out and purchased a RZR after test driving one at King of the Hammers (Kalifornia open desert in Jonson Valley)
So his first real ride was at Royal Blue, muddy and wet rock steps and, well mud.
He's trying to drive the RZR like a Jeep, low range and just creep up the step.
It doesn't work that way, RZR has a low gear (high numerical ratio) but the engine makes power well above the engagment point.
And it is not high torque just off idle.
Finally he jabs the gas and the RZR hops over the step.

Big H DCT is set up for relativly flat torque curve, and the multi plate wet clutch can slip providing more creep control.
So, the guy on YouTube might have been more familiar and comfortable with a DCT as it would drive more similar to what he was used to.
Likewise, some one who understands a tension belt CVT (ie, they come from a CVT ATV or SxS) might be more familiar with how a RZR operates.

No idea on the noise thing but it's not like I have a Talon to know that, right.

FYI, for thouse with out a life video i referenced above:
Starting at 1:49

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I think what you are seeing is a diffrence in perspective.
It's not a right or wrong thing (unless you are a fan boy).

I posted a video the other day.
Guy was a Jeep rock crawler type that whent out and purchased a RZR after test driving one at King of the Hammers (Kalifornia open desert in Jonson Valley)
So his first real ride was at Royal Blue, muddy and wet rock steps and, well mud.
He's trying to drive the RZR like a Jeep, low range and just creep up the step.
It doesn't work that way, RZR has a low gear (high numerical ratio) but the engine makes power well above the engagment point.
And it is not high torque just off idle.
Finally he jabs the gas and the RZR hops over the step.

Big H DCT is set up for relativly flat torque curve, and the multi plate wet clutch can slip providing more creep control.
So, the guy on YouTube might have been more familiar and comfortable with a DCT as it would drive more similar to what he was used to.
Likewise, some one who understands a tension belt CVT (ie, they come from a CVT ATV or SxS) might be more familiar with how a RZR operates.

No idea on the noise thing but it's not like I have a Talon to know that, right.

FYI, for thouse with out a life video i referenced above:
Starting at 1:49

I believe you are showing an unhealthy fixation on the blonde in that channels videos under the guise of offroad enthusiasm. :rolleyes:

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
How did she get her long, beautiful blond hair in that helmet and it looks so perfect?
Third time watching it I noticed the SxS.
Who knew?
Wait, there was a SXS in the video? ;)

Reactions: Mudwing and lee
R

red124

Sep 7, 2018
MN
Well to bad you were not closer to me and bought an x. I would of really considered buying it off you. Non of the issues you described other than the noise shocks me. You bought an R so turning radius and dirt in the cab is about what I would I expect due to the extra width. You are probably really used to a cvt so the shifting and throttle manipulation will take some getting used to. I personally don't like cvt`s and would rather be back into something with gears. As far as low range I guess after owning a Rincon with dct it not unexpected. I wished the low gear in that was lower also. There is a reason there are so many different machines out there they all have there faults but it is just which one has the more positives to you. I am waiting for a used X close to me. I would rather save some money and buy used plus then I would have some extra money to spend on shock upgrades.

B

Bigblue1

Feb 3, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
When you go to wash it out you will appreciate the hole!! For me they are all strategically placed and made washing easier.

R

Reneb3

Oct 14, 2017
Cross sc
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R
Turning radius is the only thing that bothers me .
I was a concern for me as well. It took a football field (seamed anyway) to turn the thing around in the dealers parking lot. But on the trails it was fine. I live in the South east so woods are the norm and only a few times had to back up. Doesn’t worry me know. But it is a huge difference from the Pioneer 1000. Golf cart turner that one was. I am getting the hang of brake and throttle to get the rear to swing around. I have an R, I think the x will turn a lot sharper even though it’s only 4 foot difference.

Reactions: Bigblue1
H

Harding10

Apr 14, 2019
Calif
Ownership

1. Talon R
Something you didn’t mention is handling. After spending a few weekends in the talon I feel the talon is well past the rzr in how it corners and handles at speed. The noise factor I’m enjoying is the lack of rattles my rzr has. Some of the talons appeal you need an hour or two driving to appreciate.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Something you didn’t mention is handling. After spending a few weekends in the talon I feel the talon is well past the rzr in how it corners and handles at speed. The noise factor I’m enjoying is the lack of rattles my rzr has. Some of the talons appeal you need an hour or two driving to appreciate.
WELCOME!

Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
I agree with this 100%. Spend a day in a Talon sport riding and it's over. Those of us who now ride Talons, it is a different animal then a RZR or X3. Hard to explain, but the Talon keeps inviting you to push harder and harder. The harder you push the more the fun factor and the more you appreciate it's greatness. Now, if you are just a liesure rider, there are softer rides out there to be sure. Like I said to my wife. For all of you who drove go carts when you were kids, do you remember the feeling putting the foot pedal to the floor and not let up until the ride was over? I remember when riding golf carts drifting every hair pin turn and holding the pedal down until the limiter took over and kept it there for the entire ride. Couldn't stop smiling and wanted to do it again and again. That is the same feeling when you ride a Talon. Can't stop smiling and when you take a break during the ride, you can't wait to jump in the cab and go again....

J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
Your description of the Talon ride makes me feel the need to break out my zero-time R today. Finally getting to be warm enough to go.
I'll spend an hour this morning checking the front end alignment, then it's on!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!