Talon Warn Bumper and Axon Winch Install

Ddoggy

Ddoggy

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Talon R
Talon comes with the Factory Harness for a winch install...but with Warn Axon being an all enclosed unit, and Warn Bumper setting the Winch so far forward...how did those who’ve installed utilize the Factory Pre Run wires. Be a great length if you were mounting an external solenoid....not very friendly without a splice as far as I can see...aint torn into it yet...just looking for heads up and what worked best for those who’ve done rides before..Thanks in advance

Reactions: Isaiah
LilGreenMachine

LilGreenMachine

Dec 9, 2019
Auburn, WA
Ownership

1. Talon R
If it were me I would mount a fuse block with positive and negative terminals mounted in place of the solenoid. Then jumper from the pos/neg battery terminals to your winch. Now you have the added benefit of a fuse block installed for any future wiring you may do. I needed a solenoid so my fuse block is on the passenger firewall. I'll try and scrounge up a picture...

If you don't want a fuse block, just get a pos and neg bussbar and mount in the solenoid area so you just need a short run to the winch. There's really no room in the battery box for a bunch of cables, and why run cables to the back when they did it for you.

LilGreenMachine

LilGreenMachine

Dec 9, 2019
Auburn, WA
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here's a shot of my setup. Move the fuseblock over to where I have my solenoid. The little buss bar to the left of my solenoid is hot from ACC connector to run ACC power to my rocker lights individually.

Talon Wiring

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Talon comes with the Factory Harness for a winch install...but with Warn Axon being an all enclosed unit, and Warn Bumper setting the Winch so far forward...how did those who’ve installed utilize the Factory Pre Run wires. Be a great length if you were mounting an external solenoid....not very friendly without a splice as far as I can see...aint torn into it yet...just looking for heads up and what worked best for those who’ve done rides before..Thanks in advance
I have the 45RC axon on my Talon. The winch kit comes with red and black cables to connect the winch. The Talon is already pre-wired. Pretty much plug and play wiring.

Reactions: Ddoggy
Ddoggy

Ddoggy

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Talon R
If it were me I would mount a fuse block with positive and negative terminals mounted in place of the solenoid. Then jumper from the pos/neg battery terminals to your winch. Now you have the added benefit of a fuse block installed for any future wiring you may do. I needed a solenoid so my fuse block is on the passenger firewall. I'll try and scrounge up a picture...

If you don't want a fuse block, just get a pos and neg bussbar and mount in the solenoid area so you just need a short run to the winch. There's really no room in the battery box for a bunch of cables, and why run cables to the back when they did it for you.

👊great input and Thank you very much, and for the Pics of your set up. I’m new to SxS in ...well...all aspects lol...but I ain’t scared...but...old 🤣😂🤣...and always worry if I am going to remember where all those damn plugs went for each panel I take off 🤣😂🤣
Thanks to the team that puts this Site together..pretty cool to get honest input from all those who’ve replied. Installed the Bumper, the Winch, loomed the wires and brought them up thro the hood area, found the +/- Factory wires...and froze 😂🤣😂🤣
Thanks again for the ideas and Pictures 👍👍👍

Reactions: LilGreenMachine
LilGreenMachine

LilGreenMachine

Dec 9, 2019
Auburn, WA
Ownership

1. Talon R
No problem Ddoggy. Just remember, after connecting to the pre ran cables under the hood, you will also have to hook up the positive at the battery. It's tucked up behind the battery box a little bit but not hard to get to.

Reactions: Ddoggy
Mikehallad

Mikehallad

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2019
Highland, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have the 45RC axon on my Talon. The winch kit comes with red and black cables to connect the winch. The Talon is already pre-wired. Pretty much plug and play wiring.
Which mount did you use with your Axion?

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
WARN 102600 ATV Winch Mounting Kit for Honda Talon 1000 SXS

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
Where can I find the factory preinstalled wires that terminate up front on the Talon R? Someone said they were in the dash area, but I can't find them.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Where can I find the factory preinstalled wires that terminate up front on the Talon R? Someone said they were in the dash area, but I can't find them.
It's just the battery cables that are pre-installed. They will be in the upper left corner under the cowl.....between the hood & the dash, should have blue tape on the ends. The positive will also need to be connected inside the battery box to the positive side of the starter relay.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
It's just the battery cables that are pre-installed. They will be in the upper left corner under the cowl.....between the hood & the dash, should have blue tape on the ends. The positive will also need to be connected inside the battery box to the positive side of the starter relay.
Is the negative already connected at the battery?
And where is the best place to mount the solenoid?

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Is the negative already connected at the battery?
And where is the best place to mount the solenoid?
I think the neg is already connected to the frame or battery, I don't remember needing to connect it. There are mounting tabs for the winch contactor pre-installed on the dash bar/tube under the cowl in the same area, just to the left of the steering column (as viewed from the drivers seat). Once you pull the cowl off you'll see what I'm talking about.

Reactions: CMB and Doogle
Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think the neg is already connected to the frame or battery, I don't remember needing to connect it. There are mounting tabs for the winch contactor pre-installed on the dash bar/tube under the cowl in the same area, just to the left of the steering column (as viewed from the drivers seat). Once you pull the cowl off you'll see what I'm talking about.
906UP I really appreciate the quick and helpful responses. I'll try wiring up tomorrow. Today was mount winch, install rear windshield, and spare tire carrier. Some other members mention the need to attach the + at the battery. None say anything about the negative.
Thanks so much.

Reactions: 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
906UP I really appreciate the quick and helpful responses. I'll try wiring up tomorrow. Today was mount winch, install rear windshield, and spare tire carrier. Some other members mention the need to attach the + at the battery. None say anything about the negative.
Thanks so much.
A quick check with a DVOM set on Ohms/resistance between the negative cable and and the frame will tell you for sure but I don't remember needing to connect it. It's been a couple years....LOL

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!