CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
906UP I really appreciate the quick and helpful responses. I'll try wiring up tomorrow. Today was mount winch, install rear windshield, and spare tire carrier. Some other members mention the need to attach the + at the battery. None say anything about the negative.
Thanks so much.
My winch solenoid, right center with the 3 white spade terminal connectors.

I TfMCkHW L

Reactions: 906UP and JimmyA
Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
I read a post saying the pre installed cables were on the passenger side. When I finally took the cowl off, things became clear.

I mounted the solenoid yesterday and attached heavy cables to the winch. I placed mine on a factory bracket that has a large hole through it. I contacted Warn before buying and asked if there was anything else I would need to install. They said "NO." I pulled the dummy switch plate out, and found it is larger than my new switch. Drill, hack saw and filing made a fit on the dummy plate. Hope it holds. Today I will need to decide where the corded remote will be located. I read someone installed theirs in the glovebox. I am not pleased with some of the Warn VRX 4500 package. Below is a part of my email to Warn.
"
I bought a Warn VRX 4500 winch kit for my 2020 Honda Talon 1000R and I'm unhappy with the delivered product. And I could not find online instructional help either. Finding Warn contact info is not as easy to find as I thought it should be either.

Very poor directions even though it seems written by a good English speaker, unlike most English semi-speaking Chinese instructions.
2 socket-head screws with no mention of where they would go.
Missing M8 bolts/nuts that are mentioned in instructions"
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Everything did fit up good. I had to raid some quad and MC part boxes to get metric bolts to complete. Stores were closed on Christmas Day. It had many packages with nuts & bolts, but not saying where they go. And with many left over parts, I wonder what I forgot to do. Maybe the extras are for different winches. And for simplicity they package enough for either/or winches. For $500 they should have directions picturing my ordered VRX 4500, not an Axon. I'd like to see a drawing or list showing bolt size and length for each location. There aren't a lot of bolts for this project. Even with minimal or no instructions I could have figured this install out, if they had all the bolts and nuts required.

My mounted solenoid
IMG 20201226 064057614

Last edited:
Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
My corded remote is in the glovebox, put there by the dealer. I'm pretty sure I saw directions saying that's the spot. Some have put it in a front cowl up by the radiator IIRC (if I remember correctly) but it's much more protected kept up under the dash IMO and the remote cord is long enough to reach where I need to get. Sorry to hear Warn didn't have better instructions.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
Warn had conflicting directions. One on a separate sheet and one in the booklet. The booklet was correct. I mounted the corded outlet through the dash on the left side of the glovebox. The glovebox itself has too much stuff in it already. All I have left to do is decide where I will tie in my switched power and add a fuse. I'm thinking about having a fuse block so I can add other fused accessories later. Or finish what I'm doing and consider that as needed.

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not wanting to put the effort in wiring that others have, I used the XTC 35 amp relay/buss bar for a 'quick start' wiring solution. The Club Store here has an accessory on pigtail available so cutting into power isn't necessary.

This is going by memory from a year ago so 'maybe' - I think the blue plug with green stripe in the lower center/right is the key on power/horn plug and where that pigtail plugs in. If that isn't it, it's very close to that area.

I TfMCkHW L

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes I've seen pictures of the blue plug. I haven't seen amperage it can handle. Nor where the fuse is for it. I've never looked at The Club Store. I'll look at it today. Do you leave your buss exposed as seen?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes I've seen pictures of the blue plug. I haven't seen amperage it can handle. Nor where the fuse is for it. I've never looked at The Club Store. I'll look at it today. Do you leave your buss exposed as seen?
The amperage capacity of the blue plug wiring isn't very important, it's just used as a 'power on' signal lead. In my case it triggers the 35 amp relay which carries the load - that's fed by a 10 ga. wire. Yes, my buss is exposed as seen but it's under the upper hood cowl, so I won't be dropping something on it. There are many shielded busses and fuse blocks available if you want to add lots of accessories, I don't. I don't know where the fuse is either but I think they're all together, between the seats, not scattered around.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!