Talon Talon x ride quality

M

markcieciek

Apr 8, 2019
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Does anyone know of a way to soften the rear suspension for going through rough chop? Ride Michigan trails and some of the chop can be killer

Reactions: Tylernewell
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Take off the sway bar, lower the tire pressure, reduce the rear springs preload by 1/2 inch. My buddy reduced the front springs preload by 1/2 inch too. You will only reduce the ground clearance by about 1/2 inch.

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
The X rear shocks only has a tender spring above the bottom main spring and not a dual spring like the front.
To understand the difference that a true Dual Rate springs with cross over rings can make. Go to the Shock Therapy site Shock Therapy - The Premier Suspension Tuning Company and read the difference. The front shock on the X is a dual spring, but not a true dual rate because it lacks the cross over ring. Honda dose this to cut costs.
I have a appointment with Shock Therapy on July 3rd to revalve my shocks and install eight new springs with the cross overs tuned to more comfort for my style of riding and needs.
I had this done on my Polaris RZR and it made a whole new machine out of it, worth every penny...DRK

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Does anyone know of a way to soften the rear suspension for going through rough chop? Ride Michigan trails and some of the chop can be killer
Where abouts in Michigan are you and where do u ride?
I’m live between A2 And Lansing. Have a cabin in the Gaylord area. I ride the trails there a lot with my P1. The sandy trails we have can be very bouncy and washboardy also. I recently changed my fox springs to a softer longer spring and it helped quite a bit with the hop.
Been thinking of selling my P5 I also have for a Talon. If I do, I will be getting an R for that reason cuz of our trails.

Reactions: dnjones161
M

markcieciek

Apr 8, 2019
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Where abouts in Michigan are you and where do u ride?
I’m live between A2 And Lansing. Have a cabin in the Gaylord area. I ride the trails there a lot with my P1. The sandy trails we have can be very bouncy and washboardy also. I recently changed my fox springs to a softer longer spring and it helped quite a bit with the hop.
Been thinking of selling my P5 I also have for a Talon. If I do, I will be getting an R for that reason cuz of our trails.
I live in Reed city ride in st Helen,just about every where I can

Reactions: Remington
RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
The X rear shocks only has a tender spring above the bottom main spring and not a dual spring like the front.
To understand the difference that a true Dual Rate springs with cross over rings can make. Go to the Shock Therapy site Shock Therapy - The Premier Suspension Tuning Company and read the difference. The front shock on the X is a dual spring, but not a true dual rate because it lacks the cross over ring. Honda dose this to cut costs.
I have a appointment with Shock Therapy on July 3rd to revalve my shocks and install eight new springs with the cross overs tuned to more comfort for my style of riding and needs.
I had this done on my Polaris RZR and it made a whole new machine out of it, worth every penny...DRK

Nice - look forward to hearing more about the outcome on the Talon. I knew they were studying the Talon R, but nice to see the X get some attention too. Let us know.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I took 1/2" off the pre load front and rear and it made a nice noticeable difference . Kept my psi at 10 front 12 rear and set shocks at softest dampening .
A friend of mine who built off road buggys told me for a good ride adjust your shock pre load so if you put your weight on the front or rear the vehicle should go down and backing off 1/2" accomplished this . I did lose almost 1/2" ground clearance but well worth it IMHO.

T

Tylernewell

Sep 22, 2019
New Jersey
Ownership

1. Talon X
I had this done on my Polaris RZR and it made a whole new machine out of it, worth every penny...DRK[/QUOTE

T

Tylernewell

Sep 22, 2019
New Jersey
Ownership

1. Talon X
Shock therapy dual rate springs is the answer. A little pricey but well worth it

T

Tylernewell

Sep 22, 2019
New Jersey
Ownership

1. Talon X
Almost 700 just for the springs and I have not had mine re valved I just installed the springs and I believe they told me another 725 to have them re valved and almost 200 for shipping costs etc. all together it’s about $1650

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
Almost 700 just for the springs and I have not had mine re valved I just installed the springs and I believe they told me another 725 to have them re valved and almost 200 for shipping costs etc. all together it’s about $1650
That is spendy! So since changing the springs how much diff did it make to the ride quality? After our first ride this weekend my wife was saying she prefers riding in our 2018 RZR 900 Trail... and that’s not a compliment to the RZR.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
$650 for shock therapy spring kit isnt bad. I'm at 350 miles on my X (I know, pathetic) and it does seem to be getting softer the more the springs get broke in. I doubt it will get soft enough that I am happy with. I plan to get the springs ordered soon.

T

Tylernewell

Sep 22, 2019
New Jersey
Ownership

1. Talon X
$650 for shock therapy spring kit isnt bad. I'm at 350 miles on my X (I know, pathetic) and it does seem to be getting softer the more the springs get broke in. I doubt it will get soft enough that I am happy with. I

T

Tylernewell

Sep 22, 2019
New Jersey
Ownership

1. Talon X
Elka suspension now makes aftermarket shocks for the talonX only. Stage1-5 I just purchased stage 4 front and rear will write updates on the performance after they are installed

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Elka suspension now makes aftermarket shocks for the talonX only. Stage1-5 I just purchased stage 4 front and rear will write updates on the performance after they are installed

Great news. Walker Evans has shocks in development for the Talon as well.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!