CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
There are many complaints about the choppy ride of the 2 seat X, springs alone aren't helping as much as many hoped as the valving is set for higher speeds. The 4 seat X isn't getting near as many of those complaints. My only source of information has been reading here so very limited. Just don't think a 2 seat X is going to be very 'soft' as delivered. There's a long X suspension complaint thread here somewhere.

Reactions: Isaiah and TxDoc
J

jaymohn

Aug 9, 2019
Cincinnati
Ownership

1. Talon X
I think there needs to be a clear definition of right quality. My stock talon rides great for me but I did come off of a motorcycle. Just Put on bandit tender Springs but haven’t gotten a chance to try them out. All my friends are riding terexes, and when I let them drive my talon They have nothing but nice things to say about the suspension, noise and fun. I will say slow speed chop is A little annoying as the rear tenders suck and that’s why I got the bandit tender Springs. Honda set this machine up to go fast. When you hit the gas and hang on the suspension is just fine as long as you’re not jumping in the sand dunes out west.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I had a pioneer 1000-3, 1000-5, and now a Talon X. The suspension on the Talon X is night/day and head/shoulders better than the pioneers were. It is a little rough at low speeds but does smooth out when going faster. And if you decide to do springs and valing on the suspension it becomes a perfect trail machine IMO! It becomes so much fun flying through the trails banging gears and the suspension just soaking up all of it. A few weeks ago I had my almost 70-year-old dad drive in my Talon X for a weekend trip after the suspension was done And he couldn't believe how smooth the ride was. I am really happy with my X!

Iowamike

Iowamike

May 31, 2020
Dubuque Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X
I had the 1000-5 and now have a stock Talon. I think the way you sit and the suspension just stock is much better riding than the Pioneer. The pioneer is no slouch , I loved it but the comfort of the Talon is sweet.. I agree with the others , it shines when you are moving faster. I however am a slower trail rider so I am thinking about getting Bandit tender springs to soften it up.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm not usually driving like my hair's on fire - you can also disconnect and tie up the sway bar, it made a noticeable difference on my R. Both the R and X will benefit from this simple mod and it's easy to undo if you don't like it. Both the R and X are sprung stiffly enough that body roll shouldn't be too bad.

Last edited:
Iowamike

Iowamike

May 31, 2020
Dubuque Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'm not usually driving like my hair's on fire - you can also disconnect and tie up the sway bar, it made a noticeable difference on my R. Both the R and X will benefit from this simple mod and it's easy to undo if you don't like it. Both the R and X are sprung stiffly enough that body roll should be too bad.

CID Do you just take out the links and bungee the sway bar ?
I may have to try this.

Reactions: Isaiah
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
CID Do you just take out the links and bungee the sway bar ?
I may have to try this.
Yes. On my R the sway bar will interfere with the upper trailing arm (with brake line) so both links have to be removed and the bar tied up. TerryH removed his X's sway bar and said it's never going back on.

I 9P5S7w3 L

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Simple, the Talon suspension is light years ahead of the P1k, but is extremely stiff at low speeds. Works really well at higher speeds.

Reactions: RB3offroad
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a 2016 Pioneer 1000-5, then a 2017 1000-5, now a 2020 talon X 2 seater.

Day and night. The stock pioneer is very nice at slow speeds in the trails, like real slow (which is what I like), when compared to the stock Talon. The Talon suspension is definitely stiffer at slow speeds, and the throttle response is even choppier than the pioneer (maybe seat position, more power, stiffer suspension, IDK but it is). At higher speeds, well you know what the pioneer is capable of, and the Talon is on a completely different level. It just sails right over everything. wash outs and stuff that you'd normally slow and crawl through, you can just blast over in the talon.

For me, the slow speed problems with my talon were made up for in rider comfort due to the seats and positioning. But, I still wasn't happy. I removed the sway bar which made it go from feeling like a straight axle honda foreman to a IRS LOL. Then I got the bandit springs on top which was also a big help. Lastly I got 14" wheels and 32" rock-a-billys for the biggest sidewall possible. Drop down to about 5 psi and this thing is now awesome at slow speeds too.

If you only need 2 seats, then you should have already switched haha. The Talon is literally better in every way I think. The only thing that I miss is all of the diff selection that I had in my base model 1000-5. I'm not a fan of this i4WD.

I also kinda miss the days of riding ATVs/dirtbikes and having to pick a good line. This talon has taken some of the work (which I sometimes think is part of the fun) out of trail riding. Now when riding with my brothers (pioneer 700 and yamaha viking), I find myself stopping to watch them make the climbs/decents I just made with zero effort and reminiscing about what it was like in the 1000-5.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!