P500 Tell me about the Honda 500 pioneer.

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am thinking about getting either a Honda pioneer 500 or the 520

I have heard that the 520 has a much better shift,is that true ?

reason I ask is I am 61 and the young man who has the Farm lease on my property has a Pioneer 500 that he bought several months back and I rode with him for about4 hours and it seemed like it had a clunky rough shifting to it.
He has already asked the Dealer about it but with no help even after first service.

did he just get a lemon or do they all do this ?
Is there a fix for the 500 and does the 520 do the same thing ?

also is the engine on the 520 better than the engine on the 500 for torque and longevity?

also is there a front locker made for these machines that can be unlocked when not needed ?

what would be some good tires to use in and around Ricefields with a lot of water and gumbo mud ?

Thank you much

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Did you consider using the search button? 😂

There bother great machines. You cant go wrong with either. Its al about wants vrs needs imo

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
1st -- Welcome from Upstate N.Y. to the ragtag group of Honda pioneer 500 & 520 owner & riders
A LOT of Good Info. & B.S. to be had here.

At 61 still a young man compared to over 3/4 century.

Shifting :Time in the seat is the FIX.
Does smooth out - with mileage -- oil changes - as you learn how to shift for smother shifts ( some use drive it like you Stole It Method -- others early shift & keep RPM & Noise Down ) somewhere you'll find the spot that works for you.

500 & 520 Both Proven & Dependable
If both were available when I purchased - "520 would have been the Choice" ( BOX being main reason ) NOT enough Reason for me to trade or sell the 2018 P500 I have. -- Added my own version of a box made out of a boxliner.

Unlockable ft. Diff. "No"
After market -- Torq-locker does allow slippage on turns -- ( Made right here in Upstate N.Y.) you will want & NEED in gumbo mud.

Tires : Several Hundred to choose from.
Radial - 6ply min open tread simular to Ag-tread for your gumbo.
I've been using ITP- XTR 6ply -- 27X9 x12 ft.& 27x11x12 rear on 4x3 ITP Alum wheels on last 3 machines ( rzr - P700 - P500 )
Doesn't over tax drive line of the P500 -- Decent all around tire with smooth ride & self clean .

RED is the 1st.color all other colors followed & Honda hopes they sell.
FYI :
The pioneer 700 has a 3-speed auto trans with paddle shifters & shifts smooth ( bigger machine )

20200725 122646 20200725 122406

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

reason I ask is I am 61 and the young man who has the Farm lease on my property has a Pioneer 500 that he bought several months back and I rode with him for about4 hours and it seemed like it had a clunky rough shifting to it.
He has already asked the Dealer about it but with no help even after first service.

also is the engine on the 520 better than the engine on the 500 for torque and longevity?

also is there a front locker made for these machines that can be unlocked when not needed ?

what would be some good tires to use in and around Ricefields with a lot of water and gumbo mud ?

Thank you much
Welcome here. The P5 is bulletproof, don’t let the initial shifting noise deter you, between getting mileage on it, using synthetic lubricants and the learning curve on shifting it will be smooth as butter…😎

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
1st -- Welcome from Upstate N.Y. to the ragtag group of Honda pioneer 500 & 520 owner & riders

Does smooth out - with mileage -- oil changes - as you learn how to shift for smother shifts ( some use drive it like you Stole It Method -- others early shift & keep RPM & Noise Down ) somewhere you'll find the spot that works for you.

If both were available when I purchased - "520 would have been the Choice" ( BOX being main reason ) NOT enough Reason for me to trade or sell the 2018 P500 I have. -- Added my own version of a box made out of a boxliner.

After market -- Torq-locker does allow slippage on turns -- ( Made right here in Upstate N.Y.) you will want & NEED in gumbo mud.

I've been using ITP- XTR 6ply -- 27X9 x12 ft.& 27x11x12 rear on 4x3 ITP Alum wheels on last 3 machines ( rzr - P700 - P500 )
Doesn't over tax drive line of the P500 -- Decent all around tire with smooth ride & self clean .

FYI :
The pioneer 700 has a 3-speed auto trans with paddle shifters & shifts smooth ( bigger machine )

View attachment 283384 View attachment 283386
I agree with pappyo, except for the "red" part. ;)

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome. Also a 60 something and have a 2017 P500. Recommend adding aftermarket power steering and the front diff. locker from Torq Masters, these two will fit both the 500 and 520. The P520 is a sharp looking machine but I prefer the P500‘s flat rear rack to make fit ones needs, examples in the link below. The P520 box would be too small for my utility use.

Last edited:
ShotgunClay

ShotgunClay

Mar 13, 2018
Founders Ranch New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
Can't say about the torque, but as far as longevity is concerned, my 2017 P5 turned over 5K miles this week (which included 6 months of covid downtime) with nothing but oil and filter changes (also did the differentials). They quiet down with use and experience (especially if using manual all the time)

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I swapped the 520 cyl & piston into my P5 this past winter because someone thought it couldn't be done. There might be a little more torque down low but I doubt you could tell the difference riding them back to back.

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

There bother great machines. You cant go wrong with either. Its al about wants vrs needs im

There bother great machines. You cant go wrong with either. Its al about wants vrs needs imo
Yes I did consider using the search button and in fact did when I typed in my Questions.:)
I immediately started Getting Friendly, Helpfull replies and Hellos from People
So I would say that my use of the "Search" button worked just like a Newcomer would HOPE it would ,In a nice friendly manner

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

So the Locker will not overtax the Drive line when used with the more aggressive tires like the ones you Mention in the next paragraph ?
Will the more aggressive tires tax the driveline more than the Torq-locker ?
Thanks

FYI :

View attachment 283384 View attachment 283386

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Welcome. Also a 60 something and have a 2017 P500. Recommend adding aftermarket power steering and the front diff. locker from Torq Masters, these two will fit both the 500 and 520. The P520 is a sharp looking machine but I prefer the P500‘s flat rear rack to make fit ones needs, examples in the link below. The P520 box would be too small for my utility use.
I went to the link and looked at every box,very interesting !Thanks for the link to the thread.
Appreciate it

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I swapped the 520 cyl & piston into my P5 this past winter because someone thought it couldn't be done. There might be a little more torque down low but I doubt you could tell the difference riding them back to back.

So it sounds like from what I have read so far that I might be better off saving the $thousand dollars difference between the 500 and the 520 price and put it toward other things like maybe different tires and a TorQ locker or a Roof
Thanks

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yes I did consider using the search button and in fact did when I typed in my Questions.:)
So I would say that my use of the "Search" button worked just like a Newcomer would HOPE it would ,In a nice friendly manner
So your saying i wasnt friendly?
Im sorry!
😢

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If it makes you all yummy inside…..

Welcome from Michigan where Handouts to the lazy folk from Strechen Gretchen (our Lib Gov) are endless!

When you decide on what machine you want and the production gets there chit together cuz of the ChiComs. Then things start getting made in a timely manor again and finally get your machine or used one..
Theres an unspoken gospel around here……
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!
;) 🤟
good luck with your endeavor!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Lol, don’t worry about deputy dog, he’s just trying to run a tight ship around here….😂

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Thank you much

Welcome to the forum. I don't think there's going to be much difference in how they shift. They supposedly fine tuned it a little more for the 520 but I've yet to hear anyone say it's buttery smooth out of the box. It will be with a little time and know how. As for torque, the 500 has plenty so I'm sure the 520 is no different. The Torq Locker doesn't really unlock by turning a key on the hub or anything, it's internal and will click when turning in 2wd. Which tire to get is going to be all over the place, kind of like which oil to use, it's a preference thing.
You've ridden in one already so you know what you're getting into. It's the crudest little sxs you can get but also the most bulletproof. It's loud and clunky but hammer it, you won't hurt it. It rides rough but will go through just about anything you aim it at. Not much cab room either but will fit where no other sxs can. The best part is you'll have a whole team of guys that know everything about that machine and will help you spend a boat load of money on making it better. :cool:

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If it makes you all yummy inside…..

Welcome from Michigan where Handouts to the lazy folk from Strechen Gretchen (our Lib Gov) are endless!

When you decide on what machine you want and the production gets there chit together cuz of the ChiComs. Then things start getting made in a timely manor again and finally get your machine or used one..
Theres an unspoken gospel around here……
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!
;) 🤟
good luck with your endeavor!
I found out today about finally getting one .
Called several big dealers and one of them told me that it would probably be late September before he got any 2021 machines in.

so it will be close to 2022 before the 2021 machines come in and had none coming in before then that was not presold. So I will have an essentially a machine that is a year old model before I can even get a New one.

Hope that they get started making them again faster but sort of doubt it as a large part of the problem is that President OBiden is Paying able bodied Men and Woman Much More than they can make working, to sit at home.

So I rather doubt that they are near as many being put together even if a lot of parts were getting here from China.

Shipping cost have gone through the ceiling here in the states what with more and more staying home from work.

And the business practices of some Dealers in the states are non existent.
I had one dealer tell me that a Pioneer would cost me more If I wrote a Farm Check for it to buy it outright than if I financed it.

I asked him why and he said that Honda encouraged the to finance instead of sell outright.
I told him that was a load of bull and hung up on him.

That is simply not true as what he was actually doing was telling all that load of bull and taking a small cut of the finance charge that was resulting from such criminal behavior.

But absolutely nothing surprises me these days

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!