Thanks for everything fellas

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks for all the help and advice fellas, but i'm going to be a member of the rubber band brigade again... It's a great forum, with great people. Machine just isn't for me.

I enjoyed parts of the talon so much, but I also hated parts of it as well. It was a great machine at times, and a miserable one at times.

Pros:

I loved the DCT. Biggest thing i'm going to miss.
Engine, for what it was, was great. Smooth, good torque, excellent for a 1000 NA.

Cons:

Not enough power. If Honda made a factory turbo talon, I may be interested. I can't justify sinking another 6k USD + install into a turbo kit, to make 160hp.
Suspension. We all know how frustrated I was with the suspension on this thing, and again, I didn't want to dump the 6k USD for the Turbo, + 1500 bucks into revalving the suspension. Just not worth it to me.
Reliability. This is the biggest surprise for me. Half the reason I bought this thing was I was so confident in Honda building a bullet proof machine, yet here we are at 600 miles and it's had;

-No/very low oil level in the sub trans from factory. Added oil to correct level.
-Two blown shocks, one at 0 miles, and one at about 300. Both replaced under warranty.
-Low range is almost unusable as it takes a long time to find low and make sure it's physically shifted into it so I don't grind the gears. Again, can be helped with a new shift gate, but it just compounds the stuff I would need to do to be happy with the machine.
-Two leaking axles seals, one at 0 miles, one is currently leaking.
-Roof mounting bracket sheared off
-i4wd is useless in deep snow, which is what we have for 4 months of the year. Just causes the machine to hop and not go anywhere.
-Suspension from the factory is abysmal, which we all know. I didn't think it would be as bad as it was, but yeah.

All this is 600 miles.

My rzr turbo I had for 6,000k before the talon, here's the issues I had in 6000 miles, compared to the talon at 600;

-Went through two belts ( replaced every 2,000 not because they were broken)
-Broke an axle landing hard on power onto hardpack dirt.

With that said, I went with a Can Am X3 XDS Turbo R. 172 hp, still 64" wide (width is very important for me), 20" of suspension travel.

If I had a use for two sport side by sides, I would have kept the talon, but I don't.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks for all the help and advice fellas, but i'm going to be a member of the rubber band brigade again... It's a great forum, with great people. Machine just isn't for me.

I enjoyed parts of the talon so much, but I also hated parts of it as well. It was a great machine at times, and a miserable one at times.

Pros:

Engine, for what it was, was great. Smooth, good torque, excellent for a 1000 NA.

Cons:

Not enough power. If Honda made a factory turbo talon, I may be interested. I can't justify sinking another 6k USD + install into a turbo kit, to make 160hp.
Suspension. We all know how frustrated I was with the suspension on this thing, and again, I didn't want to dump the 6k USD for the Turbo, + 1500 bucks into revalving the suspension. Just not worth it to me.
Reliability. This is the biggest surprise for me. Half the reason I bought this thing was I was so confident in Honda building a bullet proof machine, yet here we are at 600 miles and it's had;

-No/very low oil level in the sub trans from factory. Added oil to correct level.
-Two blown shocks, one at 0 miles, and one at about 300. Both replaced under warranty.
-Low range is almost unusable as it takes a long time to find low and make sure it's physically shifted into it so I don't grind the gears. Again, can be helped with a new shift gate, but it just compounds the stuff I would need to do to be happy with the machine.
-i4wd is useless in deep snow, which is what we have for 4 months of the year. Just causes the machine to hop and not go anywhere.
-Suspension from the factory is abysmal, which we all know. I didn't think it would be as bad as it was, but yeah.

All this is 600 miles.

My rzr turbo I had for 6,000k before the talon, here's the issues I had in 6000 miles, compared to the talon at 600;

With that said, I went with a Can Am X3 XDS Turbo R. 172 hp, still 64" wide (width is very important for me), 20" of suspension travel.

If I had a use for two sport side by sides, I would have kept the talon, but I don't.
No worries……..😉

Adam_20_Adam

Adam_20_Adam

Aug 25, 2019
Western Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4

Pros:

Cons:

All this is 600 miles.

You sell the Talon already?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

Pros:

Cons:

All this is 600 miles.

Sorry to heare your Talon didnt work out for you. I think u just bought it at a bad time.
good luck with your Cand Ham! I have the sleds, they make nice machines. My advice would be to buy stock in ear plugs! Or be like me and be waring hearing aids at 46 ;)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sorry to heare your Talon didnt work out for you. I think u just bought it at a bad time.
good luck with your Cand Ham! I have the sleds, they make nice machines. My advice would be to buy stock in ear plugs! Or be like me and be waring hearing aids at 46 ;)
There’s one guy in our group here in NM that has a Can and we always make him pull up the rear do to his noise pollution…..🙄

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Which talon R or X ? live valve R or X ?

Reactions: TripleB
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks. I wear ear plugs religiously when i'm riding as my hearing is already damaged from racing, and I don't want it to get worse.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks. I wear ear plugs religiously when i'm riding as my hearing is already damaged from racing, and I don't want it to get worse.
I do now as well. Got to save what I got left. Too much unprotected gun fire, loud blast and machinery here. Some was warranted and and some not lol

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Congrats on finding something you may like better, I have a buddy with the X3 and it is impressive. I also have a pair of SkiDoo's with the same engine, they are amazing, also have had a few CA Outlanders, by far the best suspension on a utility quad. I looked at the X3 when I was shopping but didn't like the seating position, reminded me of the YXZ.....too low and angled back for my liking. This is why it's good to have choices, no one machine will work for everyone, stop by the forum once in a while and let us know your thoughts when you get the new rig.

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Congrats on finding something you may like better, I have a buddy with the X3 and it is impressive. I also have a pair of SkiDoo's with the same engine, they are amazing, also have had a few CA Outlanders, by far the best suspension on a utility quad. I looked at the X3 when I was shopping but didn't like the seating position, reminded me of the YXZ.....too low and angled back for my liking. This is why it's good to have choices, no one machine will work for everyone, stop by the forum once in a while and let us know your thoughts when you get the new rig.

I certainly will! I don't like the seating position as much as the talon (I really liked the seats/position in the talon) but it's so much more machine overall. Just (im)patiently waiting for the dealer to PDI it, they got two truck loads of seadoo's and side by sides at the same time so it'll probably be about a week before I can pick it up. Oh well. More time to buy accessories. Lol.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!