elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Created a garage to capture the mods that start happening this weekend. This place is a baaaaaaaaaadddddddddd influence and hard on the wallet, but I love it so :D

Admittedly, most of my stuff will be bolt on as I am trained as an engineer - meaning I can design chit that cannot be built by anyone, and my fabrication skills are 2 below a rock ....

This club has already "saved" me mucho dinero, so a membership will be coming this weekend as well ...

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Nice choice of wheels and tires

Reactions: trigger
elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Stockers .... for now ;)

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The build begins ...... I've been waiting for the first service and now that it is done, Katy bar the door.

I bought the rig with the Honda 2 piece hard-coat windshield and roof as a part of the deal. Since then I have added Kolpin outside rearview mirrors, a generic inside rearview mirror, the Honda soft rear panel, a bed mat, and a bed extender.

Some as is pics
B2c19007e721f834d11ff5abc2ce694d

17a63ddb647c688cca0de7a696471916

8039ab51767efa4e6fd92cefe15d558a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
A bunch o stuff to add

Turn signal and horn kit
Under dash storage
EMP bumper with lights
Superwinch Tera 45S
Odyssey 925 battery
True dual battery isolator
Led backup lamps
Heat shield
Vent extensions
Cup holders
Stealth snorkel
Mystic switch plate

8e21bf9d6e0be2e62262869ede39adfa

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A bunch o stuff to add

Turn signal and horn kit
Under dash storage
EMP bumper with lights
Superwinch Tera 45S
Odyssey 925 battery
Led backup lamps
Heat shield
Vent extensions
Cup holders
Stealth snorkel
Mystic switch plate

View attachment 47312

Looking good but what are you waiting for?

Reactions: utvmi and elkaholic
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A bunch o stuff to add

Turn signal and horn kit
Under dash storage
EMP bumper with lights
Superwinch Tera 45S
Odyssey 925 battery
Led backup lamps
Heat shield
Vent extensions
Cup holders
Stealth snorkel
Mystic switch plate

View attachment 47312

That should keep you busy a spell. Working on them is as much fun as riding in my book

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Looking good but what are you waiting for?

I am working my tail off now. I always underestimate how much time it takes to do things right .... almost done with turn signals.

Then comes winch and bumper ....

Pausing for lunch and suds now ....

Also had a small project on the Land Cruiser in the background.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: elkguide and utvmi
elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Turn signals working (and horn). Next up bumper and winch

B18763d4f9a6203bef3c5dca0a4ca891

Reactions: Chooglin
elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Bumper / winch mount installed. EMP does not include any spacers for the bolts that go through the frame. So I'm off to town to buy some inch and a half spacers.

F43a8ca026650c455792e166a8758608

Reactions: Ragnar406
elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Obviously, I had a metric shot-ton of stuff I was trying to get done this weekend. But the other folks around the lake insisted I have a beer or three with them so I got a good bit done but not everything.

I had forgotten how much time wiring takes if you do it right ....

Pics or it didn't happen ....

Wiring under the hood. Not as neat as some but passable.
04a56fa5fde298887d6568d4fa3f71ba

Front end with a new look .... I will be interested to see if the lights in the bumper have any use at all

992d08800a77a004ce1ff9336b7d4abf

Shot of the inside ... this storage should be standard not an accessory

E57f0c38705cba8fbc720d17003b6f7e

Bf2d89995cce3712098f5126a0f20aec

Turn signal switch location. You will also notice the wires for the hazard switch and the empty hole (more later)

B0990e193c3b9348f4629c6fc62a55af

Winch remote port and the master power switch for the winch (red guarded mil-spec switch). If you look closely you can also spot the horn switch.

Adbbc8d9a836e0d65b0ec1156e480898

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
So now it's time to talk about how everything came together. The short answer is this was not my weekend.

EMP makes some nice stuff, but this bumper / winch mount is not quite up to their standards in my opinion. To start with, the bumper mounts to the frame on the outside of the frame where the factory bumper mounts in the frame. This is fine but they use the original bolts that go through the frame and they do not provide any spacers which makes it difficult to snug the bolts up without collapsing the frame. A quick trip to Lowe's which in my case is 30 miles away and I was able to get 4 inch and a half long spacers to correct this. Additionally at least my bumper did not have enough adjustability in the mounting so the gap between the bumper in the body is not consistent left to right. The next issue is the fact that the wide frame superwinch fairlead is wider than the hole in the bumper. I will either find a narrow frame fairlead or dress the opening with a grinder. The bumper comes with lights and I was expecting to have to wire them myself but they provide a very nice sealed harness complete with switch and relay however there is no way to connect the lights to that harness since the harness and has an unusual sealed connection and the lights are bare wires. Finally the bottom holes on the bash plate do not line up with the captive nuts on the mount. It is pretty stout as is, but I'll likely address the holes in the bash plate with a spur.

I am probably going to have to take the whole mass apart anyway because the winch works wonderfully pulling in but trips the circuit breaker in about a second when your power out. What little the winch motor runs when powering out sounds pretty sickly anyway so I am guessing there's a problem with the winch motor. Like I said not my weekend. See Update Below (post 19)

The XTC turn signal and horn kit is a work of art. All the wiring is chafe protected with water tight connections and just the right amount of harness so you don't have lots of excess that you're trying to figure out what to do with. But my ability to screw up an anvil with a nerf hammer came through and while rerouting the harness for the emergency flasher switch I broke the switch while disconnecting the harness - DOH! Looks like I'll be buying another switch.

The True UTV isolator is great ... it went together nicely.

Once I get these few bugs ironed out, I'll be a happy camper ....

Last edited:
Reactions: elkguide
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Wow, looking real good.

Yeah, can be a pita sometimes.

CP: I've been saying that since that jack wagon was picking Legos from his turds:)

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Building is almost as much fun as driving!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's true. As soon as I find the financial support, I'm gonna go in the building rigs and quit my job!!! So who's got the front money?

CP: I've been saying that since that jack wagon was picking Legos from his turds:)

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That's true. As soon as I find the financial support, I'm gonna go in the building rigs and quit my job!!! So who's got the front money?

I'm looking for a job being "independently wealthy."

Unfortunately, there haven't been openings in that field!

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
U P D A T E on winch Status

I went out this evening to look at the install again and immediately saw my problem. I mounted the winch on the center-line and when the bumper was mounted, I did not notice that the bumper frame was in contact with the "blue" cable in the pic above. Despite having the boot over it, there was enough pressure that the cable was grounding out. 10 minutes removing the bash plate, unbolting the winch, moving it one set of holes towards the driver side, and re-bolting it in place and voila, perfectly operating winch.

:):):):):):)

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Amazing how with a little time off or away from a project and then, the obvious become "OBVIOUS!!!!!"

Reactions: elkaholic

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!