BOX1

P1000 The most boring tire thread ever: Best tires on stock steel wheels

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes, I said it - I'm keeping my boring small steel wheels. If you can't handle the truth then I thank you for your consideration and I'll see you next thread. =)

I could go on with my reasons/excuses but I'll keep my requirements short:

1. Mud/snow/plow/pavement/turf
2. Clearance and deep water/mud not issue
3. Lugs have been working well until I hit pavement - wear is bad - alignment checked
4. I'm keeping stock 12" wheels
5. I'm probably keeping stock sizes tires but I am open to 28"
6. Doesn't matter if same all around or skinny up front and fatty in the back.
7. Totally stock suspension. Not even a stock lift.

My current stock tires have a couple hundo miles on them based on above conditions and I think the fronts are halfway through their tread life.

Just interested in the peanut gallery suggestions so I have a starting point. And I'm bored right now with the playoff games.

Reactions: sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yep, original Bighorns would be hard to beat or the knockoffs that @CumminsPusher is using if they make them for a 12" wheel.
They do. Been looking for replacements for the Wolverine and it’s 12”. That’s what we’re getting for it

J

JTW

Terrabites would also be a good choice but I don’t recall sizes...

Reactions: sharp
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, I said it - I'm keeping my boring small steel wheels. If you can't handle the truth then I thank you for your consideration and I'll see you next thread. =)

I could go on with my reasons/excuses but I'll keep my requirements short:

1. Mud/snow/plow/pavement/turf
2. Clearance and deep water/mud not issue
3. Lugs have been working well until I hit pavement - wear is bad - alignment checked
4. I'm keeping stock 12" wheels
5. I'm probably keeping stock sizes tires but I am open to 28"
6. Doesn't matter if same all around or skinny up front and fatty in the back.
7. Totally stock suspension. Not even a stock lift.

My current stock tires have a couple hundo miles on them based on above conditions and I think the fronts are halfway through their tread life.

Just interested in the peanut gallery suggestions so I have a starting point. And I'm bored right now with the playoff games.
I had tensor regulator on my stock 12" wheels. Was very happy with them.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bighorn originals or some knock off variant there of

I’ve had wonderful results from GBC’s dirt tamers! Pretty reasonable too!

They are awesome in the deep snow.

4BE394F9 DCBC 4BEE A642 691BA3036A23

Reactions: JTW and OnTheJob
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
+1 for a Bighorn knock off if snow/mud are still on the to-do list. I was tempted by the Terrabites but I have read that they will clog up in heavy leaf cover maybe?

At any rate I had a couple of Bighorn front's laying around so I went with the Tusk Trilobite (Bighorn Knockoff) and have been really happy with them. That tread seems to do great in all kinds of terrain and I haven't had them on too long, but the reviews I read (mostly from RZR guys with locked rear diffs) claim they last twice as long as Bighorns.

I went with 29x11 in the rear and 29x9 in the front- they actually measure just under 28 inches aired at ~14psi and have cause no clearance issues whatsoever on my bone stock 2018 1000-5. They do make them in 27x11 and 27x9 as well though. I think the 29's fill out the wheel well a little better, I'd go that route again given the chance.

Tusk TriloBite HD 8-Ply Tire

Capture

Reactions: CumminsPusher
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
+1 for a Bighorn knock off if snow/mud are still on the to-do list. I was tempted by the Terrabites but I have read that they will clog up in heavy leaf cover maybe?

At any rate I had a couple of Bighorn front's laying around so I went with the Tusk Trilobite (Bighorn Knockoff) and have been really happy with them. That tread seems to do great in all kinds of terrain and I haven't had them on too long, but the reviews I read (mostly from RZR guys with locked rear diffs) claim they last twice as long as Bighorns.

I went with 29x11 in the rear and 29x9 in the front- they actually measure just under 28 inches aired at ~14psi and have cause no clearance issues whatsoever on my bone stock 2018 1000-5. They do make them in 27x11 and 27x9 as well though. I think the 29's fill out the wheel well a little better, I'd go that route again given the chance.

Tusk TriloBite HD 8-Ply Tire

View attachment 103537

Scratch this: just realized those sizes are only for 14 inch wheels.

Still love that tread pattern though!

D

Dasmoeturhead

This is what I have experienced in the 1 year that I've had my Terrabites. 12 inch Terrabites work great on pavement at stock air pressures. But they Suck at that air pressure on any other surface. For any kind,of work in light mud, loose TN dirt, gravel, grass, or snow you have to lower the Air Pressure lower than I like without bead lockers.
They wear very well, and I'll probably buy them again when these are toast, or if I suddenly came into some extra cash I'd like to try the Tensors.
I've noticed that after the 2nd season of light plowing the Terribites aren't doing as well this season.

As far as the wheels, I run the stock black steelies. Ill put my money somewhere else, and i like the stock look. But I'm an old Geezer. I also like to keep the weight down so my clutches don't have to work as hard. Bigger wheels and tires equal more weight, more stress on everything accociated with that. I totally understand why a person wants bigger wheels and tires, it just ain't for me.
I use my P1K 90% of the time around my property in work mode, but I'd sure like to run the Dakar at top speed in my Honda. I'd definitely have Big Tensors for that. I can dream for now, but if Factory Team Honda wants to send me next year, my calendars open. :- )>

Last edited:
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
bunch of people in the club have tried the big horn, for this area not good. loose clay and deep snow clog them, and heavy. and expensive. in NY the best tires are wider and more space. mud lite radials will last and cheaper and one of the best at clay and snow. i dont ride much pavement but, the reviews says its fine. i have run these on the road and they are smooth at top speed and in nov i got 27x12 2.0s for 350 from motoxmall. most winter we have few ft and most spring we feet of mud and water and the mud lite have been the best over all for that. this stuff is all 2wd
20190120 124211
20181221 103444

P

PioneerDuluth

Mar 28, 2018
Duluth, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had tensor regulator on my stock 12" wheels. Was very happy with them.
Any issues with rubbing while going over bumbs or turning sharp stepping up to a 28" tire on factory rims/factory set up? This is the route I'd like to take as well.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!