P1000 The "Neutral Switch"

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Posted for those who are obsessed with curiosity about the inner workings of things they have no business getting into:

Early neutral switches had some problems. When it fails, it usually results in throwing a 5 - 2 code and going into 1st gear "limp home" mode (from what I understand. My '21 P1000-5 SE did that recently. I removed the neutral switch and tested it the wrong way, thinking the exterior wire lead contact (left end of "A") would short to the body "G" when the button (right end of "E") was pushed. This is not how it works. The part is more a spring loaded connector than it is a switch. Part "A's" body is an insulator, as it part "F". "B" is an oil seal, "C" is a sliding contact that slides on the left side of pin "E" and maintains contact through when the right side of pin "E" is pushed by the actuator (inside motor). At no time do the "switch" internal parts make or break, though if there was a fault in this part, the most likely failure would be an intermittent contact between the wiper "C" and the pin shaft "E".

I took it apart carefully, using a parting tool on the lathe, figuring I might put it back together if I fixed it. I think there may have been nothing wrong with it and I may still have a problem elsewhere &^%$!

20230108 143557

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I love trouble shooting forensics, Bumperm; 😍 Thanks for the analyzation. 👍 Let us know what you find.

Wish I had bought a lathe when I was in my fiscal prime. 😥 Between a lathe and a welder, a man can make damn near anything he can dream.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The switch might not be the problem but it is still nice to get in and tear it apart and make sure it "Isn't" the problem. I believe there was a few people with a loose connection where the wire attaches to the switch. I believe it is just a single connection like my Honda foreman's temp switch. There are also some other people with that code that had rodent damage on the single blue wire going to the switch by the connector. For some reason they really like to chew on that one wire and make the rig throw the 52 code. Hope you don't have any more trouble but some other things to check if it does happen.

NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
And that’s it ?? We still don’t know what the problem is/was ??

Following this, very intriguing.

Reactions: CID
NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Bumpers, Earlier someone post ohm readings on a NSS. Was that you ?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
it has to ground and the switch has to make and brake - its called a "switch" for a reason

part e is actuated and completes the grounding circuit - partly thru whatever is pushing on it

??

Reactions: NewHere2
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
it has to ground and the switch has to make and brake - its called a "switch" for a reason

part e is actuated and completes the grounding circuit - partly thru whatever is pushing on it

??
Good point. On my dual sport motorcycle the neutral switch was On or Off, shorting to ground like Bumperm theorized.

Reactions: NewHere2
H

HondaTech

There is a nub on the shift drum that when in "neutral" pushes on the part labeled "E" and makes ground to compete the circuit.

What's so confusing about this switch is the misconception that it denotes Neutral when the sub trans is in the Neutral slot on the dash lever.

Instead it's showing when the 6 speed internal engine transmission is in Neutral. Which should only be true when the unit is sitting still and running.

This is why it defaults to 1st gear and lopes at idle, since the ecm is confused as to where the shift drum is located and thinks the clutch is engaged at idle in gear.

This is the same switch for the 4wd and diff lock indication on the P1K.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bumpers, Earlier someone post ohm readings on a NSS. Was that you ?
Yes, that was me. I was thinking it was like a normal "switch", built like most switches, where the contacts are inside the switch. This is more like a spring loaded contact plunger. Assuming the part is functional, there will always be continuity between the electrical connector at one end and the plunger pin at the other end of the device. So is it a switch or is it a contactor? The "switch" description sure had me testing it wrong after removal. In my defense, I had no clue if it was purely mechanical or if there was some sort of solid state device within before I opened it up.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

??

No, the ground is entirely through what is pushing on the end of part "E". The body (including the threaded portion, which I first assumed was providing the ground) is completely insulated from the moving parts within.

thashane

thashane

Lifetime Member
Oct 19, 2020
norCa
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
i had this issue on mine recently. turns out it was just a loose connection on the bullet terminal connector. fixed it by "tightening" the female connector. If it loosens up again, I'll solder them together

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i had this issue on mine recently. turns out it was just a loose connection on the bullet terminal connector. fixed it by "tightening" the female connector. If it loosens up again, I'll solder them together
Okay, second reply . . . I was a little concerned about the idea of soldering a wire directly and using an in-line connector instead of the stock one. Specifically, I wanted to make sure the end terminal could withstand the heat, as shown, it can (I had soldering iron set at 700 F).

20230109 203429

Note that I cut off part of the insulator,I did that as I wanted to check the diameter of the male contact and be sure I was measuring at its largest diameter. OD of the connector is 0.137", the stock wire clip-on connector has an inside diameter of .0.132", so plugged in all the way, seems a snug secure enough fit with good contact BUT*, in part due to the rubber over-boot cover on the wire connector, it is quite easy to not push the connector on all the way. The rubber boot can add to this, making it feel like it is fully pushed into place.

*When I first removed the female connector on mine, I distinctly thought to myself , "well, that didn't require much force to remove". Then I thought, okay, that's why they have the wire doubled back and under the mounting shield - so there little chance of strain on the wire.

Now I'm thinking it may not have been pushed on all the way and that certainly could have caused the intermittent problem. (I hope.) We shall see in a week when I get the new part.

BTW, I would not solder the connector, as shown in the picture, if I was going to solder it for actual use, it may be strong enough, but it's preferrable to have more of a mechanical connection as well. One way to do so would be to drill a small hole in the end of the male connector to accept the wire, then solder. Another way would be to use the stock female connector and solder that in-place, then add an in-line wire connector for ease of service. I don't plan on soldering my new part, but I sure will make sure the factory connector is pushed on all the way.

Last edited:
thashane

thashane

Lifetime Member
Oct 19, 2020
norCa
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Okay, second reply . . . I was a little concerned about the idea of soldering a wire directly and using an in-line connector instead of the stock one. Specifically, I wanted to make sure the end terminal could withstand the heat, as shown, it can (I had soldering iron set at 700 F).

View attachment 369404

Note that I cut off part of the insulator,I did that as I wanted to check the diameter of the male contact and be sure I was measuring at its largest diameter. OD of the connector is 0.137", the stock wire clip-on connector has an inside diameter of .0.132", so plugged in all the way, seems a snug secure enough fit with good contact BUT*, in part due to the rubber over-boot cover on the wire connector, it is quite easy to not push the connector on all the way. The rubber boot can add to this, making it feel like it is fully pushed into place.

*When I first removed the female connector on mine, I distinctly thought to myself , "well, that didn't require much force to remove". Then I thought, okay, that's why they have the wire doubled back and under the mounting shield - so there little chance of strain on the wire.

Now I'm thinking it may not have been pushed on all the way and that certainly could have caused the intermittent problem. (I hope.) We shall see in a week when I get the new part.

BTW, I would not solder the connector, as shown in the picture, if I was going to solder it for actual use, it may be strong enough, but it's preferrable to have more of a mechanical connection as well. One way to do so would be to drill a small hole in the end of the male connector to accept the wire, then solder. Another way would be to use the stock female connector and solder that in-place, then add an in-line wire connector for ease of service. I don't plan on soldering my new part, but I sure will make sure the factory connector is pushed on all the way.
good info. I was just planning to solder between the bullet connectors, good to know the connector can take the heat.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Soldering the connector to the switch may present another challenge. If directly soldered, you are gonna have to back twist the wire a bunch of turns due to the thread depth of the part. Adding an in-line connector would be the logical way to get around this. I think the stock connector will be the way to go, maybe tighten it up a bit, as @thashane did. Probably most have not had a problem with this part or its connector. I've noted other sloppy assembled parts on my machine, including a broken round file (doubtless being used to align seat bolt holes), a part of a lithium battery cover, from one of the assembly tools, missing bolts on seat mount and WAY over torqued door color panel mounting bolts. Mine must of been done just before quitting time on Friday.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No, not yet, got sidetracked moving my machine tools from hangar to home, then making some gun parts. Also slowed down some due to heart damage, the timing and circumstances of which points to the Moderna vaccine as causal. Dang I'm sorry I got those shots.

I'll do an update when I can.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!