BOX1

P1000 thoughts 2018 polaris ranger xp 1000

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
the new 2018 Polaris ranger XP 1000 just came out what's your thoughts looks like a can-am in the front. also comes with a 1 year warranty. I think it said it has 2500 lb. towing and 1500 lb. payload for the bed.

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
the new 2018 Polaris ranger XP 1000 just came out what's your thoughts looks like a can-am in the front. also comes with a 1 year warranty.

Looks nice, I like the color selections.

Of the two, I'd rather have the CanAm, no where near the recalls on the CanAm brand.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
the new 2018 Polaris ranger XP 1000 just came out what's your thoughts looks like a can-am in the front. also comes with a 1 year warranty. I think it said it has 2500 lb. towing and 1500 lb. payload for the bed.
I've tried to imagine it looking like a Can-Am. I just don't see it. If you'd said Toyota Tundra, then yeah...I could see that.

J

JTW

CanAm IMG 4710 IMG 4711

Polaris
IMG 4712 IMG 4713

Tundra
IMG 4714 IMG 4715

AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really like it. 13" ground clearance, 11" of suspension. tows 2500# payload remains 1000#, but has TONS of storage and an awesome drive train. These things are really getting good.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It needs to have doors not Nets and the gas cap is exposed and if you do buy it tell them to throw in a belt.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With Frigg'n AC?? Come the frick on, Ya may as well buy a pickup. There comes a point where it verges on ridiculous. I'd rather b1tch about the heat in my PK5 than be caught with AC...LOL

NORTHSTAR EDITION
Starting US MSRP $23,999
The all-new RANGER XP 1000 Northstar Edition delivers an industry-exclusive heating and air conditioning system.

AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It needs to have doors not Nets and the gas cap is exposed and if you do buy it tell them to throw in a belt.
I agree it needs doors like the Pioneer (without the rattles!). The belt I believe is 30% larger and the strongest one they've ever made so it should last a long time in a non sport buggy.

AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With Frigg'n AC?? Come the frick on, Ya may as well buy a pickup. There comes a point where it verges on ridiculous. I'd rather b1tch about the heat in my PK5 than be caught with AC...LOL

NORTHSTAR EDITION
Starting US MSRP $23,999
The all-new RANGER XP 1000 Northstar Edition delivers an industry-exclusive heating and air conditioning system.
I agree 24k is nuts! But apparently there are wealthy people that buy those expensive models. I was on a survey/chat forum just last week commissioned by Honda and run by a third party, anyway, the moderator asked the participants, would you be interested in an HVAC model? Most said no, because they like being out in the open vs. in a cab, and that it would be too expensive. Made me wonder if Honda is thinking of an A/C model.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree 24k is nuts! But apparently there are wealthy people that buy those expensive models. I was on a survey/chat forum just last week commissioned by Honda and run by a third party, anyway, the moderator asked the participants, would you be interested in an HVAC model? Most said no, because they like being out in the open vs. in a cab, and that it would be too expensive. Made me wonder if Honda is thinking of an A/C model.

It would be nice on a 115 Heat Index degree day.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Polaris, with all their faults is not shy about jumping out there and trying stuff or about doing competitor tear downs and incorporating the good ideas that they find. (This is something that Honda sorely lacks)

Good ideas they incorporated from competitors:

-Uniframe (Almost looks identical to Defender)
-6 Ply tires (on the XT Defender)
-Standard Engine Braking (Pioneer/Defender)
-Full length skid plate (Defender XT)
-Under Hood Air (Pioneer)
-Sealed bushings (Pioneer)
-12 Month Warranty (Pioneer)
-Thicker seats (Look very similar to Defender XT)
-60/40 seating with tilt up seats (Defender)
-Front bumper standard (Pioneer)
-Low speed engagement clutch (Defender)

Plus they add ground clearance, travel and towing which is another very smart move and will be good for the industry as others will have to follow suit or lose market share.

If they could only become the industry leader in durability AND innovation instead of being the leader in sales and recalls they would pretty much destroy the competition.

I actually think it looks more like a Pioneer than a Defender but it does look more like a Toyota or a Ford Raptor than either of those.

Personally, I don't mind the looks if it has the performance and durability.

AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Polaris, with all their faults is not shy about jumping out there and trying stuff or about doing competitor tear downs and incorporating the good ideas that they find. (This is something that Honda sorely lacks)

Good ideas they incorporated from competitors:

-Uniframe (Almost looks identical to Defender)
-6 Ply tires (on the XT Defender)
-Standard Engine Braking (Pioneer/Defender)
-Full length skid plate (Defender XT)
-Under Hood Air (Pioneer)
-Sealed bushings (Pioneer)
-12 Month Warranty (Pioneer)
-Thicker seats (Look very similar to Defender XT)
-60/40 seating with tilt up seats (Defender)
-Front bumper standard (Pioneer)
-Low speed engagement clutch (Defender)

Plus they add ground clearance, travel and towing which is another very smart move and will be good for the industry as others will have to follow suit or lose market share.

If they could only become the industry leader in durability AND innovation instead of being the leader in sales and recalls they would pretty much destroy the competition.

I actually think it looks more like a Pioneer than a Defender but it does look more like a Toyota or a Ford Raptor than either of those.

Personally, I don't mind the looks if it has the performance and durability.
I do think these refinements and improvements will make Honda and the others step up their game. Its good for all who plan to buy a buggy in the next few years

Reactions: Hondoman and nbomar
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd just buy a general - at the end of the day its really all about how fast you want to go down the trail - they pretty much will all get you there these days.

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd just buy a general - at the end of the day its really all about how fast you want to go down the trail - they pretty much will all get you there these days.

This. I checked out a General at a dealership yesterday. VERY nice rig. If the made a 4+ seat general that had a short wheelbase like the Pioneer 1000-5 I'd probably consider one. Say what you will about belt drives, but if you use them properly you can get many thousands of miles out of them. And if you do manage to break one it's a lot easier to change a belt out on the trail than it is to replace a clutch.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!