Tie-down strap location

Swampdog

Swampdog

Lifetime Member
Mar 19, 2020
Forgotten Coast, FL
Ownership

1. 500
I just purchased a P500 but have not picked it up yet. Reading the Owners Manual, it shows to hook the tie-downs to the floor of the trailer.

My utility trailer floor is 58 inches x 118 inches and has anchor points along the trailer's railing that are two-feet above the floor of the trailer.

My question: Will it be okay to use the anchor points on the trailer's railing instead of having to add anchor points to the floor of the trailer?

(I have been trailering my Yamaha Grizzly using the the trailer's railing anchor points for 18 years with no problems)

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Reactions: JenElio and Isaiah
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I'd recommend you add some tie off points to the floor. It's better all around that way given how much heavier the P500 is. Otherwise you are anchoring it like the center of a trampoline.

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tie mine like this. Only at unsprung weight points. Trailer tie downs as you can see are on the floor and also welded points on corners of trailer.

Tiedown

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I like the unsprung attachment points, it allows the suspension to work. I hadn't seen your front to rear tire strapping idea before and it opened up my thought process. How long are the straps going through the wheels? - I have several 36" axle straps but their metal end loops won't fit through the wheel spokes. :(

If those yellow plates are just held in place with wood screws, I'd change that to through bolts though. I'd have no faith in wood screws in this application.

Reactions: JenElio
nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like the unsprung attachment points, it allows the suspension to work. I hadn't seen your front to rear tire strapping idea before and it opened up my thought process. How long are the straps going through the wheels? - I have several 36" axle straps but their metal end loops won't fit through the wheel spokes. :(

If those yellow plates are just held in place with wood screws, I'd change that to through bolts though. I'd have no faith in wood screws in this application.

If I remember right the straps are 48" and no the plates are not held by wood screws, I have bolts all the way thru with fender washers and nylon nuts on the backside.

Reactions: JenElio and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks, Nitzo. 👍

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I just purchased a P500 but have not picked it up yet. Reading the Owners Manual, it shows to hook the tie-downs to the floor of the trailer.

My utility trailer floor is 58 inches x 118 inches and has anchor points along the trailer's railing that are two-feet above the floor of the trailer.

My question: Will it be okay to use the anchor points on the trailer's railing instead of having to add anchor points to the floor of the trailer?

(I have been trailering my Yamaha Grizzly using the the trailer's railing anchor points for 18 years with no problems)

Thank you in advance for your answers.
Welocme to the club!
I would try and get some anchor points made floor level. Always a better tie down. My 2 cents 🤷‍♂️
Post some pics when u pic it up 👍

Reactions: Swampdog
Swampdog

Swampdog

Lifetime Member
Mar 19, 2020
Forgotten Coast, FL
Ownership

1. 500
I would try and get some anchor points made floor level. Always a better tie down. My 2 cents

That is exactly what I did, added anchor points to all four corners of my utility trailer. Thank you everybody for your help.

Post some pics when u pic it up
I plan to do that, I'll also change my avatar and update my owner and membership status. Thanks again!

Reactions: CID and JenElio
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
That is exactly what I did, added anchor points to all four corners of my utility trailer. Thank you everybody for your help.

I plan to do that, I'll also change my avatar and update my owner and membership status. Thanks again!
Nice!
🤔 where's "the forgoten coast" ?

Reactions: Swampdog
Hondap5

Hondap5

Sep 26, 2020
Monroe nc
Ownership

1. 500
I got flush mount tie downs off amazon. Easy install and work great. One on each corner. Like 40$ for all 4.

5FDA422C 2BB9 4690 80F6 34D13D26AE12 B026D371 19C0 42CC B4DD FE2955DF6A34

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!