BOX1

Tie Rods should you stay with OEM

D

dhcross61

Nov 28, 2017
ARKANSAS
Ownership

1. 500
Rode with a buddy and he bent a tie rod on the trail In a Pioneer 1000. Luckily he had an old one and we repaired on the trail. I have a Talon X and was wondering,what the consensus is on keeping a spare OEM barrel rod or just purchase a heavy duty set?

Reactions: Isaiah
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rode with a buddy and he bent a tie rod on the trail In a Pioneer 1000. Luckily he had an old one and we repaired on the trail. I have a Talon X and was wondering,what the consensus is on keeping a spare OEM barrel rod or just purchase a heavy duty set?
Thought has always been that the tie rod is cheaper and easier to change than the steering box. Basically if you get stronger tie rods then the energy or force that would normally bend an OEM one is going to be transferred to the steering rack ... shorting it life.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thought has always been that the tie rod is cheaper and easier to change than the steering box. Basically if you get stronger tie rods then the energy or force that would normally bend an OEM one is going to be transferred to the steering rack ... shorting it life.
Yep this here. It’s a fuse in the system. They are very cheap and pretty easy to change.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has someone bent a talon tie rod with out major failure of another component first?
I bent 4 tie rods with my pioneer in 3 years, and lent out 2 to 2 other owners of pioneers in that time, but none in a year with my talon, and am usually moving quite a bit faster and hitting things a bit harder, seems to me like it was more of an issue with the pioneer

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
If you’re stock, it’s much less likely that you bend one, but it does occasionally happen.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!