P500 Tips for installing heat/sound barrier?

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I ordered and have received the heavy duty thick rubber material everyone suggested for putting under the P5 seat to reduce heat/noise. Looks to be pretty straightforward but I’m open to anyone sharing your experience doing this mod Incase there was something you encountered that would be beneficial to know before I start.

Is it literally just cutting the rubber to the dimensions under the seat and zip-tie it down in several spots?

And as for the plastic area in the center where the seatbelt latches are, do I just cover over that and cut-out skits for the latches? That area gets really hot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BWAF
R

RumpRocket

Dec 23, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500
I used one piece no zip ties.....I cut small slits for the center seat belts latches....make sure you have enough overhang in the front....that can be trimmed later.....just try keeping the cuts small....I did mine in the middle of winter when it was cold and never had a problem....just take your time.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Cuts and slits for seat posts and belt, no tie downs, can remove it for cleaning, oil changes and checking oil, and winter rides. I did not use rubber but the foil backed sound/insulation stuff.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I pulled the plastic under the seats and put the foil backed butyl on the underside of the plastic, then cut sheets of 1/4 foam sound deadener to go under and behind the seats.

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
A little surprised I won’t need to zip-tie it to keep it in place, but glad at the same time. Guess between the cut-outs for seat posts and maybe a little overhang in front it must not be able to move around or sag into crevices too much.

Reactions: RumpRocket and BWAF
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
A little surprised I won’t need to zip-tie it to keep it in place, but glad at the same time. Guess between the cut-outs for seat posts and maybe a little overhang in front it must not be able to move around or sag into crevices too much.

It will sag in places and collect water depending on how you do yours. I ran mine under the bar behind seat and over the first rack bar. Just cut little holes in the two lowest lying areas and it drains out.
Rubber

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
It will sag in places and collect water depending on how you do yours. I ran mine under the bar behind seat and over the first rack bar. Just cut little holes in the two lowest lying areas and it drains out.
View attachment 75988

Thanks for the pic @trigger . I had actually been looking for that pic today searching on the forum because I knew I remember seeing that exact one in an old thread.

K

Kimmyt43

Apr 3, 2019
Alva, Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I ordered and have received the heavy duty thick rubber material everyone suggested for putting under the P5 seat to reduce heat/noise. Looks to be pretty straightforward but I’m open to anyone sharing your experience doing this mod Incase there was something you encountered that would be beneficial to know before I start.

Is it literally just cutting the rubber to the dimensions under the seat and zip-tie it down in several spots?

And as for the plastic area in the center where the seatbelt latches are, do I just cover over that and cut-out skits for the latches? That area gets really hot!

Can you tell me exactly what you bought (the materials). I am clueless on what I am buying. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Can you tell me exactly what you bought (the materials). I am clueless on what I am buying. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Honestly no offense Twangin but there's a reason that stuff is so cheap, lol! I considered using 45 mil and couldn't do it once I looked at it.
I'm using 60 mil EPDM and for $70 you can have one shipped to your door. You'll also get a Trigger Shield sticker and peace of mind that it's going to fit and perform the way it should. ;)

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Honestly no offense Twangin but there's a reason that stuff is so cheap, lol! I considered using 45 mil and couldn't do it once I looked at it.
I'm using 60 mil EPDM and for $70 you can have one shipped to your door. You'll also get a Trigger Shield sticker and peace of mind that it's going to fit and perform the way it should. ;)

No offense taken, just answering @Kimmyt43 question that he asked me. No doubt there may be higher quality options, and I may take you up on that 60 mil.. if this one ever fails me.

Reactions: trigger
D

Duckhunt

I bought a chunk of that white backed EPDM for around $40 like a week before @trigger announced his business venture. I had enough mods on my plate, so didn't hesitate to order a Trigger Shield. The difference in material between that and the roll I got in the closet is a lot more than just thickness. For $30 and less than 50% more I got a lot more than that. Just $.02 from a guy that got both materials.

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I bought a chunk of that white backed EPDM for around $40 like a week before @trigger announced his business venture. I had enough mods on my plate, so didn't hesitate to order a Trigger Shield. The difference in material between that and the roll I got in the closet is a lot more than just thickness. For $30 and less than 50% more I got a lot more than that. Just $.02 from a guy that got both materials.

Thanks Duckhunt! I'm not trying to shove the Shield down anyone's throat by any means. When I set the price I seriously thought this is a no brainer and would be more cost effective than someone making one for themselves. This thread has pretty much proven that point. :)

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
I was one of the first purchasers of the Trigger Shield. With the ease of installation, quality of material, and 15 minute installation time it is beyond me why anyone would waste their time building their own. Just my thoughts.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I was one of the first purchasers of the Trigger Shield. With the ease of installation, quality of material, and 15 minute installation time it is beyond me why anyone would waste their time building their own. Just my thoughts.

Yes you were! There's about 40 of these out there now and I haven't received any feedback of anyone being unhappy with it yet. I've said it before that I wasn't looking to make much money off of this endeavor. It was to make this available to all the 500 guys for about the price it would cost to make their own. I understand if guys want to save a few bucks and do it for themselves though. Thanks Snake!

K

Kimmyt43

Apr 3, 2019
Alva, Florida
Ownership

1. 500
We have a 2019 honda pioneer 500. How much for the one you created?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!