P500 Tire Height Recommendations

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Thinking about upgrading tires (maybe wheels too), however one major concern I have is my P5 still has to fit inside my enclosed trailer.

As you can see from the 2x4 on my roof, I have no more than 1-1/2 inches of vertical clearance to play with.

Measuring the height of stock tires at 10psi to the bottom of a 4 foot level, the fronts are 23-1/4" tall and the rears are 24-1/8" tall (I actually thought they would be closer in height).

I know tire height can be affected by psi as well as manufacturer so the question is…

Any recommendation what tire size/manufacturer to consider to make sure I do not exceed 1 to 1-1/4” overall height of the P5?
Or similar measurements of your tire/manufacturer size is greatly appreciated.
IMG 4937 IMG 4941

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
My 2 cents....would be
...I'd go with spacers...
if all you can go up..
is that Minumal. .
IMO

D

Deleted member 3748

My 26" Rip Saws are 25" high @ 6 psi.

Another option for you would be to let the air out of your tires to get it in the trailer. Then air them up after you unload.

Reactions: HUCK
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
My 26" Rip Saws are 25" high @ 6 psi.

Another option for you would be to let the air out of your tires to get it in the trailer. Then air them up after you unload.
Thanks @PistonHonda, I had thought about lowering air pressure with new tires and I appreciate the height you listed. So theoretically, your 26" Rip Saws would be about 1-3/4" taller front and 7/8" taller rear or a total height raise of 7/8" front and 7/16" rear, which should work. I
Wish we lived closer so I could see if your P5 would fit in my trailer, hate to have to sell a new set of tires on an experiment.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
D

Deleted member 3748

Thanks @PistonHonda, I had thought about lowering air pressure with new tires and I appreciate the height you listed. So theoretically, your 26" Rip Saws would be about 1-3/4" taller front and 7/8" taller rear or a total height raise of 7/8" front and 7/16" rear, which should work. I
Wish we lived closer so I could see if your P5 would fit in my trailer, hate to have to sell a new set of tires on an experiment.

I guess the more important measurement is the overall height. I'm just under 72" to the highest point on the ROPS. And my tires are new so the tread isn't worn down at all. I went with the same size tire all the way around. 26x10x12

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
I guess the more important measurement is the overall height. I'm just under 72" to the highest point on the ROPS. And my tires are new so the tread isn't worn down at all. I went with the same size tire all the way around. 26x10x12
Depending on what roof you are using, that should just squeak in since my door is 63" W x 72-1/2" H.
I probably saw it on another post, but what size wheels are you using, and how do you like the overall handling with the same size rubber on all 4 corners, I like the idea of being able to rotate to even out wear. I did see your post on the Rip Saws with @trigger and the deep sand.

D

Deleted member 3748

I use the Honda soft top so it's the same for me.

Tires are 26 high, 10 wide and a 12 inch wheel. The overall ride and handling are greatly improved simply because the new tires are radials. They are horrible in the sand, but it's really only a problem climbing steep sand hills. Just for general riding in the sand it's okay but you need 4WD. The tires are awesome in everything else.

Here's a few tires tests I ran.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@DaddyDubbs , Have 27 tires on 15 inch rims. (actual 26.5 @ 8 psi), 72 inches to top of ROPS, close to 74-75 to top of OEM roof. Looking at EMP roof so to fit in standard trailer versus higher price of extra height trailer. Thanks for the pic, close fit indeed.

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
@DaddyDubbs , Have 27 tires on 15 inch rims. (actual 26.5 @ 8 psi), 72 inches to top of ROPS, close to 74-75 to top of OEM roof. Looking at EMP roof so to fit in standard trailer versus higher price of extra height trailer. Thanks for the pic, close fit indeed.
Thanks @Mudder, I appreciate the info. I hate to purchase new tires and not have it fit into trailer. Looks like I should be good with 25 or 26 inch tires, now I just have to narrow down to which ones.

Reactions: Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Worst case, bring a 5 galllon portable air tank just in case. Pretty cheap insurance.

Reactions: DaddyDubbs

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!