P500 Tire Repair? or just replace?

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have been running Big Horn 2's since P500 was relatively new. I have about 4500 miles on them. Running 26X9X12 front, 26X11X12 rears, with stock rims and 1" spacers all around. They have worked very well for our riding conditions.

One of the front tires just developed a leak. I was thinking it picked up a nail or screw, put found a small crack at the corner of a tread. I doubt if that can be repaired, but not sure. I also don't believe they recommend tubes in radials. If my assumption is correct, that the wear indicator is the notch in the top thread, they have 1/4" left, or does that mean they are pretty worn out?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Can it be plugged? If so, do it.

Keep an eye out for other cracks. If they start doing it regularly, replace. I've had a few tires start cracking...though I would necessarily expect a quality tire like Maxxis to do that.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
If the leak is where you indicated, then I agree it is unlikely to be an easy fix. One alternative is buy two front tires, replace them and in a year get some rears and that way the pain if 1/2 plus you will have some spare tires.

Reactions: crewcabrob
MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
I say repair it and get the rest of the use/life out of your set of tires. I'd call around to tire shops and find someone that will do a "boot" patch on it. They dis-mount the tire and use a patch-combo-plug where you pull a stem-like plug from the inside of the tire out the hole. Then the stem has a big patch that seals to the inside of the tire. Very positive seal repair.

Looks like this:
Boot plug patch

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I found my tire plug tools, but not any plugs. :( Stood the tire up, with leak on the bottom, and fully pressurized. Slime seems to be holding, but would have to do a test ride. I highly suspect it won't.

Found the BH2 26x9xR12 on Ebay for $142 shipped. Anyone buy from Leclare Powersports? They also have a website, but appears incomplete.

I'll check about the "boot" patch, thx.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I found a number of small cracks on the bottom of both front tires, but none on the rears. Nothing on the sides. I confirmed with the ebay seller that they are the 6 ply, so ordered them.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I found a number of small cracks on the bottom of both front tires, but none on the rears. Nothing on the sides. I confirmed with the ebay seller that they are the 6 ply, so ordered them.
Ok...yeah. Replacement is the right call. They'll be going flat OFTEN.

I've had s***ty tires do that, but I am surprised genuine bighorns are doing it

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Below you will see an example of the small bottom cracks. Maybe they are just stone cuts? Just odd only on front tires.

Don't know if 4500 miles on them is good or bad. The tread seemed to have held up well, compared to the 1000 miles on the other tire thread The front treads looked much better though. My original tires still look like new, so no wear experience with them.

I picked up some plugs today, and will use them latter. Didn't do any test drive, but tire still holding at same pressure with just the slime.

I saw the motomummy price, but never heard of them, so went with the ebay/paypal protection, for basically the same price.

IMG 5380 IMG 5384

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Below you will see an example of the small bottom cracks. Maybe they are just stone cuts? Just odd only on front tires.

Don't know if 4500 miles on them is good or bad. The tread seemed to have held up well, compared to the 1000 miles on the other tire thread The front treads looked much better though. My original tires still look like new, so no wear experience with them.

I picked up some plugs today, and will use them latter. Didn't do any test drive, but tire still holding at same pressure with just the slime.

I saw the motomummy price, but never heard of them, so went with the ebay/paypal protection, for basically the same price.

View attachment 301604 View attachment 301605
I can't really tell what those are. I know the ones I've had trouble with would crack at the base of tread blocks. 4500 miles on the driven tires is pretty good. For comparison, my set of bh knock offs is going to do (maybe) 1500 on the rear.

I was cautious about motomummy as well, but if it's a legit place, seems like a good place to spend money.

Last edited:
B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
We had a trail plugged tire fixed at the tire shop with a real plug and patch. Which happen to leak right way. So I took a strap and pinched the tire down and let the air out. Then covered the plug in rubber cement and let the strap off and the tire sucked the rubber cement in. I did this 3 times in a row and it took glue each time 6 months later and lots of riding and no problems

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Just a follow up. I did plug the tire a week ago with a "standard" plug. I did a short test drive the following day and it held. We did our "normal" 1.5 hour drive yesterday. This morning, still holding. :)

I'm going to mount the new BH2's on IPT rims, so they will be ready, just in case these become pin cushions. If they hold through next spring, will probably buy new rears and change them all out at once.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
UPDATE: The passenger front tire just started leaking. Holds well, sitting in garage, but looses pressure during rides. I haven't spent the time to find the leak, but suspect it is a crack near a lug. I switched over to the new BH2's that have been sitting on the steel IPT rims in the basement. I thought when I checked specs on the IPT's that the width and offset were the same as oem. The IPT's are offset further out by 1/2" to 1" more than stock. Should still work well with my 1" spacers, but if I had 2", would be too much. It looks a little odd with the wider front stance over the rears, but going to run it that way for a bit. The rear tires are still in good shape, and should get another year out of them.

Last edited:
OlYeller15

OlYeller15

Jan 30, 2021
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I have been running Big Horn 2's since P500 was relatively new. I have about 4500 miles on them. Running 26X9X12 front, 26X11X12 rears, with stock rims and 1" spacers all around. They have worked very well for our riding conditions.

One of the front tires just developed a leak. I was thinking it picked up a nail or screw, put found a small crack at the corner of a tread. I doubt if that can be repaired, but not sure. I also don't believe they recommend tubes in radials. If my assumption is correct, that the wear indicator is the notch in the top thread, they have 1/4" left, or does that mean they are pretty worn out?
I’ve used a product called TireJect… it works very well with slow leeks and even worked to seal a nail hole. Just another tool in the box.

Reactions: crewcabrob

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!