BOX1

Tire/Wheel Combo Question

C

Cestratton

Jun 22, 2021
Harrison, AR
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just put a deposit on a 21 1000r Live Valve. I'd like to run a 30/9.5r15 or possibly a 31/9.5r15 Nitto Trail Grappler SxS. What offsets and backspace do I need to be looking for front and rear? I haven't narrowed down a particular wheel yet but thinking Method or KMC.

Thanks!

Reactions: TripleB
C

Cestratton

Jun 22, 2021
Harrison, AR
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If I went with a 4/3 what spacers would I need front and rear? Ideally want to be able to rotate the tires and have an even stance front and rear.

Reactions: ChadD
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
  • X+Y advertised measurements are not accurate and completely meaningless.
  • Try to maintain stock front geometry as much as possible for best steering. You can do that by...
    • Use ~+50mm offset front wheels and ~+10mm offset rear, this will make you even front/rear.
    • OR use ~+50mm offset front and rear without spacers. You will be about 3" narrower in the rear.
    • OR use ~+50mm offset front and rear with 1.5" spacers in the rear to even it up if you prefer.
  • CAUTION: Some 14" wheels will rub and you may need to trim the upper control arm ends for clearance when using 14" wheels.
  • NEVER put spacers on the front.

C

Cestratton

Jun 22, 2021
Harrison, AR
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks! I'll be doing 15" wheels just wanted to be able to rotate all four corners and run 9.5 front and rear.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
5/2 with 1" front spacer and 2" rear?

If I went with a 4/3 what spacers would I need front and rear? Ideally want to be able to rotate the tires and have an even stance front and rear.

You won’t like what wider offset front wheels (or spacers) do to your bump steer and overall steering effort.

Use Paulf’s recommendations.

IE 6-1 offset wheels and 1 1/2” spacers in rear. (Like he said though the “50mm offset” number is more accurate than “6-1”)

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks! I'll be doing 15" wheels just wanted to be able to rotate all four corners and run 9.5 front and rear.
Then I will update my suggestions...
  • X+Y advertised measurements are not accurate and completely meaningless.
  • Try to maintain stock front geometry as much as possible for best steering. You can do that by...
    • Use ~+50mm offset front wheels and ~+10mm offset rear, this will make you even front/rear.
    • Use ~+50mm offset front and rear without spacers. You will be about 3" narrower in the rear.
    • OR use ~+50mm offset front and rear with 1.5" spacers in the rear to even it up if you prefer.
  • CAUTION: Some 14" wheels will rub and you may need to trim the upper control arm ends for clearance when using 14" wheels.
  • NEVER put spacers on the front.

C

Cestratton

Jun 22, 2021
Harrison, AR
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Who makes a good beadlock 15x7 with ~+50 offset? I see several +38 and 0. Also what's the deal with 4x136mm and 4x137mm seems like everyone says either will work, is that correct?

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have 31x9.50x15R ITP ultra cross tires on bead locks with 1” spacers in the rear. I’m not sure what rims I have but they don’t rub. It’s kind of nice to have 5 rims and tires that can go on any spot.

4C604D6E 88EC 425D 8CBC 5EC355A41FA2

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have 31x9.50x15R ITP ultra cross tires on bead locks with 1” spacers in the rear. I’m not sure what rims I have but they don’t rub. It’s kind of nice to have 5 rims and tires that can go on any spot.

View attachment 280199

Those are STI HD9 bead locks, they appear to all be the same offset but of course I cant tell for sure from here. When you have a wheel off the rig you'll be able to see that info on the inside.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Who makes a good beadlock 15x7 with ~+50 offset? I see several +38 and 0. Also what's the deal with 4x136mm and 4x137mm seems like everyone says either will work, is that correct?
+38 mm offset will work but I do not recommend anything less than that.

You can use either 4x136 or 4x137.

C

Cestratton

Jun 22, 2021
Harrison, AR
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If I went with +38 how much rear spacer would I need to have close to factory stance? I'm guessing 1"?

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4

I had trouble finding +50 in 15” also.

So I went 14”….

J

Joe_none

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
NC
If you are changing tire size @PaulF made additional offset suggestions in another thread:

The scrub radius changes with tire diameter. Stock wheels are +50mm offset and stock tires are 28" diameter. To maintain the same scrub radius with different sized tires you would need...
  1. 30" tires with a +47 mm offset. No such thing but there are +45 and +50 available.
  2. 32" tires with a +45 mm offset.
  3. 35" tires with a +41 mm offset.
6-1 verses 5-2 wheel spacing
Post#2

Reactions: CID and Cestratton
C

Cestratton

Jun 22, 2021
Harrison, AR
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So I ordered a set of Method MR401 15x7 +38, Nitto Trail Grappler SxS LT30x9.5r15, and High Lifter 1.5" spacers for the rear. Sound like a good setup? What do I need to do for lug nuts? Spacers have 12mm x 1.5 thread pitch studs, will factory lugs work? Wheels are 60 degree conical seat.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
That will be a great setup.

You will probably need small hex or spline drive lug nuts because the holes on many of these wheels are small and the socket for regular lug nuts doesn't fit.

Not sure about nuts to hold the spacers to the hub, maybe someone else will chime in on that.

C

Cestratton

Jun 22, 2021
Harrison, AR
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That will be a great setup.

You will probably need small hex or spline drive lug nuts because the holes on many of these wheels are small and the socket for regular lug nuts doesn't fit.

Not sure about nuts to hold the spacers to the hub, maybe someone else will chime in on that.
The spacers come with nuts to attach to the factory studs.

C

Cestratton

Jun 22, 2021
Harrison, AR
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ok so wheels are on backorder but tires are on their way. I'm considering canceling the wheel order and keeping factory. With that said running 9.5 wides all the way around on stock wheels, other then the obvious 1.5" rear width difference from stock tires, what differences would I notice in handling, performance, and track width? I've tried researching and can't find much. Truck wheels and tires are so much more simplified lol.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ok so wheels are on backorder but tires are on their way. I'm considering canceling the wheel order and keeping factory. With that said running 9.5 wides all the way around on stock wheels, other then the obvious 1.5" rear width difference from stock tires, what differences would I notice in handling, performance, and track width? I've tried researching and can't find much. Truck wheels and tires are so much more simplified lol.
The TRACK width will be unchanged, the OVERALL width will be 1.5" narrower in the rear, you will be fine.

One thing to be careful about is the rear rims with 9.5 wide tires will be more susceptible to damage because they will have less tire sidewall protection.

Reactions: Lil_Steve
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!