P1000m5 To Deluxe or not to Deluxe, that is the question.

Deluxe or not Deluxe

• Total voters
Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
I'll start by saying howdy to all of my new found Pioneer town friends. I recently had the opportunity to visit my fiancés ranch and had the time of my life on the old man's Ranger Crew 800. I immediately needed my own (because I can't go nuts on his and return it all kinds of sideways) to hold and cherish. Many hours of data drilling later I came upon The General. Yes, it looks awesome. Incredibly awesome. Unfortunately the current two seater application isn't going to accomodate the 3 person family. I drilled more for reasons why I shouldn't buy this awesome machine (again, this is to keep at a Ranch 3.5 hours drive from my house). Turns out the weak link on the Popo is the belt. I had no issues with the Ranger on my weekend but it is a little clunky. More drilling and up pops the Pioneer. Cruised all manner of spec sheets and side by side comparisons. All in all I settled on Honda's tried and true reliability, for better or worse. So now that you know me, here's the question.

Gotta have the flip up back seats, genius. Need to get up to the EPS and paddles, of course. I was immediately drawn to the Deluxe because it looks so complete in its design. However, for $1000 extra I get the same sized tires but in Big Horns (which you guys have mentioned the 4 ply sidewalks and whatnot), LED headlights (nice addition I suppose but crucial? Especially when you'd expect to add more effective LED lighting?), color options (silver looks cool but the Camo will fade and I can add the panels after I scratch up what's already there) and aluminum wheels (which I'd probably customize with a new wheel package after I wear out the stock set). So, the question is, to Deluxe or not to Deluxe? That extra grand can go to needed accessories like the hard roof, bed liner and hard coat split windshield, all for the same price as the Deluxe upgrade. So, does it make sense? (Considering my situation of course, everyone has different needs)

No ill will toward Deluxe owners, I'd be one if I could. But this bike won't be sitting in my backyard and the instant upgrades won't really be appreciated on the daily. I'm also beyond ready to pull the trigger and need to cut the corners that make sense. Thanks in advance for the helpful info (this site is AWESOME!)

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@Itsalljake Welcome to the club! Glad to hear of your interest in the Pioneer 1000-5. For all the additional features on the Deluxe model it really is the way to go if you are wanting the rear seating and power steering all the extra is just a little more for what you really get, especially when you take into account going from steel wheels and bias ply tires to aluminum wheels and radial tires it is pretty much a no brainer. So far most people with the deluxe models (myself included) are very satisfied with them. Good luck in your decision making either way you will be on the right track with a Honda Pioneer.

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
@Itsalljake Welcome to the club! Glad to hear of your interest in the Pioneer 1000-5. For all the additional features on the Deluxe model it really is the way to go if you are wanting the rear seating and power steering all the extra is just a little more for what you really get, especially when you take into account going from steel wheels and bias ply tires to aluminum wheels and radial tires it is pretty much a no brainer. So far most people with the deluxe models (myself included) are very satisfied with them. Good luck in your decision making either way you will be on the right track with a Honda Pioneer.
Agh, radials, there's something I didn't account for. That was the missing 15%. Again, I feel as though at being a 20K purchase, that savings would compound when I pick up a wheel and tire package of my choosing. Larger tire size of course. Especially when I'll be lucky to get 250 miles a year in.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Agh, radials, there's something I didn't account for. That was the missing 15%. Again, I feel as though at being a 20K purchase, that savings would compound when I pick up a wheel and tire package of my choosing. Larger tire size of course. Especially when I'll be lucky to get 250 miles a year in.

Well if you end up paying 20K even on the left coast make sure they do a rape kit on you. Shouldn't be more than 17K with CA/USSR tax rates for just the machine.

Reminds me of a Ronald Regan joke:
Its hard to get an automobile in the soviet union. They are owned mainly by elite bureaucrats.
It takes an average of 10 years to get a car. 1 out of 7 families owned automobiles.
You have to go through a major process and put the money out in advance.
So this man did this and the dealer said "okay in 10 years come get your car."
"Morning or afternoon?" The man replied.
"Well what difference does it make?" Said the dealer.
"The plumber is coming in the morning."

Reactions: solrus and franzw
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I got the non deluxe because I wanted green no wrap no changing plastic better 6 ply tires $1000.00 less. It weighs 22 pounds less too.that's why I got the non deluxe. This is just my opinion.

Reactions: Itsalljake
Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
Well if you end up paying 20K even on the left coast make sure they do a rape kit on
Well if you end up paying 20K even on the left coast make sure they do a rape kit on you. Shouldn't be more than 17K with CA/USSR tax rates for just the machine.

Reminds me of a Ronald Regan joke:
Its hard to get an automobile in the soviet union. They are owned mainly by elite bureaucrats.
It takes an average of 10 years to get a car. 1 out of 7 families owned automobiles.
You have to go through a major process and put the money out in advance.
So this man did this and the dealer said "okay in 10 years come get your car."
"Morning or afternoon?" The man replied.
"Well what difference does it make?" Said the dealer.
"The plumber is coming in the morning."

MSRP on the 1000-5 is 16,199, deluxe is 17,199. Add in freight, delivery, hard top roof, hard coat split windshield, bed liner, tax...I'm over 20K and I haven't even added HondaCare yet. And that's non Deluxe! Kind of my point. I'm paying an extra grand for wheels and tires the same size as Stock (albeit, lesser quality) LED headlights and a color choice? Hardly seems to add up when I'll want bigger tires and more lights in the future. And as far as color goes I'll be painting it brown every chance I get.

Last edited:
franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Congratulations on your Honda decision. Having bought many Honda products (you can not beat their generators, their 2000 is best for camping etc.). I had a fourtrax 350 for 28 years, still had original tires on it when I sold it recently and got a price only $800, Less what I paid for it new in 1986. dragged many nice bucks and even a 6 pt. elk back to camp over the years ( that's another story for another day). Since I was not anticipating changing tires and wheels and wanted the total package in the best deal from factory, the 1000-5 deluxe seemed the logical choice. Everything I added was only upgrades to what I needed. I am sure whatever you will spend will only enhance your family's enjoyment of its use. Happy trails.

Deltamud

Deltamud

Lifetime Member
Dec 3, 2015
Florence, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't forget the load leveling shocks on the deluxe.

H

HondaTech

If I was to buy a 1000-5 I'd go non deluxe. I plan on installing different wheels and tires anyways (not a fan of bighorns), and the panels are a magnet for scratching. The led lights are cool but you can add them for around $500, but a light bar would be a definitive anyways.
Load leveling comes on every 5 seat 1000 not just the deluxe.
Color would be my only factor I do like the silver and white, but I'd deal with red or green.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
MSRP on the 1000-5 eps is

MSRP on the 1000-5 is 16,199, deluxe is 17,199. Add in freight, delivery, hard top roof, hard coat split windshield, bed liner, tax...I'm over 20K and I haven't even added HondaCare yet. And that's non Deluxe! Kind of my point. I'm paying an extra grand for wheels and tires the same size as Stock (albeit, lesser quality) LED headlights and a color choice? Hardly seems to add up when I'll want bigger tires and more lights in the future. And as far as color goes I'll be painting it brown every chance I get.

Well dealer cost is dealer cost and they are selling the Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe in the mid west / mid south for 16K and under no prep fees, no freight or delivery fees. Now I understand the accessories add to it. But those "fees" are pure padding their bottom line, just trying to warn you off their job is to make as much profit as possible and it is really up to you to determine what you pay for the machines not what they ask, after all they can't eat them

The Official P1k WHAT DID U PAY thread!

Southern Honda (Chattanooga Tn.) has the Pioneer 1000-5 seat deluxe marked down to $15,972 with NO FEES. (taxes may apply). Currently only the red color is in stock but last time I checked about 50 in stock!

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
Well dealer cost is dealer cost and they are selling the Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe in the mid west / mid south for 16K and under no prep fees, no freight or delivery fees. Now I understand the accessories add to it. But those "fees" are pure padding their bottom line, just trying to warn you off their job is to make as much profit as possible and it is really up to you to determine what you pay for the machines not what they ask, after all they can't eat them

The Official P1k WHAT DID U PAY thread!
Tennessee is a lot closer to South Carolina last time I checked. I'd expect a small freight charge to get em out here, unless they'd deliver from there to my door.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Tennessee is a lot closer to South Carolina last time I checked. I'd expect a small freight charge to get em out here, unless they'd deliver from there to my door.
Every dealer is charged the same amount just like the automotive industry, they don't use UPS. If you look at a destination fee on any car dealers website it doesn't matter if its in Ohio or in CA its the same.

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
Every dealer is charged the same amount just like the automotive industry, they don't use UPS. If you look at a destination fee on any car dealers website it doesn't matter if its in Ohio or in CA its the same.

Wonder if I could get them to price match a rig in Tennessee....

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Wonder if I could get them to price match a rig in Tennessee....
Probably would have better luck with a 2hr. drive into AZ, it also depends on how many they are sitting on hand & how long. If they are sitting on 20+ in a warehouse they would probably rather move them vs. a dealer who has 1 or 2 plays the old better get it before its gone routine. Not to worry Mr. Salesman they build them everyday, eventually the smart ones learn its better to make $400 profit than no sale at all just can't be easy pickin's. If a dealer is fairly straight forward with me to begin with not trying to tell me some story of this or that which I know isn't true I will pay a few dollars more just out of respect for their integrity of being truthful & not padding the sale, some members here have even been propositioned with 5 yr / $2500 service plans - that will buy a crap load of oil n filters and its only required every 1200 miles. You would have to drive 15K miles a years to even think about making that worth your while.

ua13gt

ua13gt

Oct 13, 2015
Rincon, GA
My logic with no regrets so far other than the Polaris. Here's how it played out. I wanted the pioneer 500 with diff lock but it doesn't exist so I set my sights on the 1000-5 either preferably the deluxe. While I waited I gave in and bought a Polaris and got what I deserved. When I gave up on having the Polaris repaired I decided I would grab the 1000-5 but due to availability I ended up with with a olive base model but actually like the door panel without the extra color panel. I'll be changing to a better taller tire wheel combo either way so that would have put me paying the extra $1000.00 for led head lights.
$.02.
159835311bad0a6bd48088640e777a51

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I guess the only difference is the Plastic Panels, Tires & Wheels, & LED headlights. I had it in my head the base 5 seater didn't have power steering.
P1K models

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!