BOX1

Tool vs Toy and kids

N

newhavenfarm

Apr 22, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi All - new to the forum and Pioneer 700.

I surprised my wife with the Pioneer 700 for her 50th B-Day. She was very excited - win, win:cool:

Pioneer 700

This is for farm use and we view it as a tool more than a toy. We have four teenagers that view it differently (at least for now). They all want to go fast and push the boundaries (naturally). I was driving with my 13 y.o. daughter (1st time driving) and she about ran square into a large stump. I had to throw my foot across and stomp on the brake at the last minute. She is very good with the tractor and loader, etc. and I want her to be proficient with this as well. We have had a lot of "safe handling" instructions but the speed issue and general desire to romp around, by all of them, are a little troublesome. Then you throw cousins/friends into the mix … :eek:

Question: What are your experiences with going too fast for conditions? My initial thoughts were that by the time you hit 3rd gear in a field it feels a little unstable - almost like hydroplaning. Again - I am a person that will just puts around, pull my trailer, etc. We have a lot of diversity (drop offs, big rocks, etc.) in our woods as well so we have talked a lot about roll over potentials, etc.

I definitely believe that kids learn best through experience but it can be tough. Only have one more to teach to drive a car!!

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
Been teaching my grands on my 700.
My oldest g. daughter is the worst. No fear and no realization that there are no air bags or crumple zones like a car to absorb impact.

Teens are fearless and you are correct, when others are around, it is tempting to show off.
It might help to go to You-tube and find some disasters, there are many, so they can see the dangers. (they did in drivers ed in my day).

I would enforce the use of seat belts and especially side netting.
If one of these tip over in the trails, the instant reaction is to put out your hand to break the fall and that can result in broken bones.

Maybe put a speed limit of 2nd gear on them or a limit switch if you are handy and not always around.

Hopefully, the excitement wears off and a couple of near misses will teach them. That is how we learned in a car and guessing you are doing
great to teach them in the pasture rather than the expressway.
good luck

Nice ride by the way, and yes a win, win, win to have a wife who wants one. :)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Tip over is always a concern on these, but usually it’s speed or doing donuts, that’s the most common and hurts more then a roll over in my opinion. Stumps are a huge concern in tall grass, easiest way rip out front suspension.
we don’t usually practice the best safety while riding but did grow up the kids on dirt bikes so it’s a little different. You need to just supervise from a distance sometimes in my opinion. Kids tend to do what they do so it’ll be tough but when things go sideways they can go really sideways.we don’t but I’d also suggest nets as well as helmets for your situation and the #1 ALWAYS seatbelts no matter what. Also make sure it’s insured.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Congrats on the new Honda. Welcome to the forum from Canton, OH.

Kids are going to be kids. Set your desired ground rules and take the keys/privilege away for one or even all of them if they aren't followed.

If you want to limit the speed you could probably do the opposite of a seat belt bypass I bet. Essentially if seat belts aren't fastened the speed of the machine is limited to something like 14 mph. I bet you could wire up a lock out switch that could make it appear as if the seat belt isn't fastened unless the lock out key is in.

#NTC

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Congrats on the new Honda. Welcome to the forum from Canton, OH.

Kids are going to be kids. Set your desired ground rules and take the keys/privilege away for one or even all of them if they aren't followed.

If you want to limit the speed you could probably do the opposite of a seat belt bypass I bet. Essentially if seat belts aren't fastened the speed of the machine is limited to something like 14 mph. I bet you could wire up a lock out switch that could make it appear as if the seat belt isn't fastened unless the lock out key is in.

#NTC

That’s a good idea. @popeye wired his Talon that way, switch on side of seat. Super simple, could hide the switch

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from WNY. Congrats on the Pioneer. The 7hundo is a solid machine. Speed kills. Great suggestions here. The limited switch JB suggests is a good idea. 😉
#ntc😎

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from WNC, I agree with @JeremieBaker set ground rules take keys and monitor from a distance, if someone messes up not only do they lose driving privileges but everyone else does also. Probably won’t take but once for everybody to lose the privilege and the others will be more mindful of what they are doing, maybe... like it was said earlier, kids will be kids. Good luck.

Reactions: Isaiah and Mudwing
MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have one employee that lost a son last year and one employee with a daughter just out of ICU and in a long rehab program as we speak. Both teenagers and both rolled the side by side and it landed on them. Have your kids be very careful.

Last edited:
  • Sad
R

rickoshea

couple weeks ago some guy had his whole family of 5 roll down a bank and into a lake.lost 2 kids.seating for 5,i'm thinking it was a pioneer.news never said.

Reactions: Isaiah
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from East Tennessee. My brother once said that "an open field is the most dangerous place to ride." I've come to agree with him. there is nothing to slow you down till it's too late. Put them on a nice tight trail where they can enjoy other challenges rather than sheer speed.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
That’s a good idea. @popeye wired his Talon that way, switch on side of seat. Super simple, could hide the switch
Wire it to a keyed switch, keep the key. Sounds like an idea for the @Hondasxs store. Welcome from Ga and enjoy that ride.

C8EF262F 1DE2 4FF3 B2F3 0E988DE74099

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi All - new to the forum and Pioneer 700.

I surprised my wife with the Pioneer 700 for her 50th B-Day. She was very excited - win, win:cool:

View attachment 201954

This is for farm use and we view it as a tool more than a toy. We have four teenagers that view it differently (at least for now). They all want to go fast and push the boundaries (naturally). I was driving with my 13 y.o. daughter (1st time driving) and she about ran square into a large stump. I had to throw my foot across and stomp on the brake at the last minute. She is very good with the tractor and loader, etc. and I want her to be proficient with this as well. We have had a lot of "safe handling" instructions but the speed issue and general desire to romp around, by all of them, are a little troublesome. Then you throw cousins/friends into the mix … :eek:

Question: What are your experiences with going too fast for conditions? My initial thoughts were that by the time you hit 3rd gear in a field it feels a little unstable - almost like hydroplaning. Again - I am a person that will just puts around, pull my trailer, etc. We have a lot of diversity (drop offs, big rocks, etc.) in our woods as well so we have talked a lot about roll over potentials, etc.

I definitely believe that kids learn best through experience but it can be tough. Only have one more to teach to drive a car!!

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.
Green is the best color on a 700... Yours is good looking. This one is second...

65930E6E B4F5 468E A79A DFE579F0AE45

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wire it to a keyed switch, keep the key. Sounds like an idea for the @Hondasxs store. Welcome from Ga and enjoy that ride.

View attachment 202518
Me and tramgusge talked about this last year sometime when his grandkids were ridding his sxs.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!